Palm Pilots, any good ones that work with mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a 17" PB fully loaded. 1.33ghz model. I was at compusa today, and iv been interested in Palm Pilots, to keep tech info with me and go to school and home and friends. Are there any good ones for mac specificly, are there good ones for both mac and windows? I would need good mac support and windows support both, cause i interact on both machines a lot. Bluetooth is what id use to connect.

PS. Im looking for no more than 400 dollars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Most all of the Palms work with Mac. Check out the Palm site to see exactly what works. Officially, Macs are supported. Not every conduit (I'm looking your way AvantGo) works on Mac. For some of the Palms, like the Sony Cliés, that don't officially support Mac MarkSpace makes software to help out, though I think they now work with the current Palm Desktop (someone else here should know for sure). They also make software so you can use Pocket PCs with a Mac. In fact, that's what i use (I have a Toshiba e750).
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Sony's Clies will sync with the Mac through Palm Desktop without The Missing Sync (Mark/Space's software), but you won't be able to directly access the Memory Stick without it. It's worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Purchasing advice threads go in General Discussion.

Moving there...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    the most mac friendly PDAs are palm brand, and since they are quite good and officially supported, it is the only brand i would consider.

if you want a basic PDA, I would get the Zire 21. If you want a fancy shmancy one, I would go with the Zire 71. What functionality do you need out of your palm?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I think i might just get a 15gb iPod. It does most of the featues i would need with Palm, except no color display, and cant write and save files. But the basic features are....

Play some music

Read txt files

Address book (i know iPod cant write)

Calendar

Storage

Stuff like that. iPod does more of what i want and is better for what i need, although Palm does have few features that would be nice.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by killer2239

I think i might just get a 15gb iPod. It does most of the featues i would need with Palm, except no color display, and cant write and save files. But the basic features are....

Play some music

Read txt files

Address book (i know iPod cant write)

Calendar

Storage

Stuff like that. iPod does more of what i want and is better for what i need, although Palm does have few features that would be nice.

not a bad idea. i have an ipod and then a very basic palm (m100) just so i can write to the to-do list and calendar on the fly, but i don't need any of the multimedia stuff. you could pick up the original palm zire new on ebay for under $40, and then also get the ipod, or get only the ipod, depending on your needs
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Palm would be nice, so is iPod, but for my wants, iPod suits me better. Only feature i would want the iPod to have is ability to write files, but i can live without.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Palm would be nice, so is iPod, but for my wants, iPod suits me better. Only feature i would want the iPod to have is ability to write files, but i can live without.

cool, i'm sure ipod will be great for you. if you have acceess to a docking computer throughout the day, the need for a palm is largely negated
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

cool, i'm sure ipod will be great for you. if you have acceess to a docking computer throughout the day, the need for a palm is largely negated

Well anything that needs to be saved in it, i can write down or whatever, save it and sync it when i get to my mac. It should be good. iv been looking up more features, its tight. Only thing im worried about, is if i buy it now, i dont want a month later and revised better comes out, like 4th gen or something.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Well anything that needs to be saved in it, i can write down or whatever, save it and sync it when i get to my mac. It should be good. iv been looking up more features, its tight. Only thing im worried about, is if i buy it now, i dont want a month later and revised better comes out, like 4th gen or something.

well, they just modified their pricing structure and lineup, so i think it is a good time to buy. actually, soulcrusher is selling his ipod if you want to save some money (thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=37257 )