[Merged] This can't be for real, could it??? (Apple Projector)

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e-thor

And you can have a really large display for surfing the web with your bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

E.

-----

I couldn't change the waters... I just puked. [/B]

BINGO!

steve thinks the tv is where you turn your brain off, this would be the big shift he's been waiting for! this could really make the digital hub complete!

i've been wanting to do this for a long time!
  • Reply 82 of 113
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    From the Electronic House article:

Quote:

DVI, or Digital Video Interface, is considered the ultimate video connection because it delivers an uncompressed signal of up to 5 gigabytes per second (Gbps), which is more than enough to handle an HDTV's required 2 Gbps. The universe of compatible DVI gear, including some receivers and DVD players, is small but expanding.

So actually 1000 mbps ethernet would not work for sending HDTV. Could Gigawire be something like HDMI described in the article?

Quote:

But just when you thought that DVI was the end-all, be-all of connectivity, another standard is poised to take its place. HDMI, which stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface, combines the same amount of uncompressed video that makes DVI superior to any other connection but adds multichannel audio to the mix. And it's all through one connection.

Remember the original iMac commercials of the guy setting up the iMac by plugging in three cords and connecting to the internet.

The home theater version would be an ad showing a person plugging in two cords. (the HDMI and power cord). Plopping a DVD into a mac and starting to watch a movie.
  • Reply 83 of 113
    Sounds to me like all the projector market really needs is for some competition in the bulb production department. $500 for a new bulb is just crazy.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

Sounds to me like all the projector market really needs is for some competition in the bulb production department. $500 for a new bulb is just crazy.

You can say that again! And they don't last very long either !

I've got one of those LED flashlights with 6 LEDs and it's really bright. Why can't they use like 12 LED's to illuminate a DLP chip and make a projector that would last a long time without needing the expensive bulb replaced???
  • Reply 85 of 113
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    or the projector could be something very off the wall like this:

http://www.cityofsound.com/blog/2004...and_the_w.html

(edit: because i'm a fool, and forgot to put the link in)
  • Reply 86 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

or the projector could be something very off the wall like this:

Like... there's a missing link
  • Reply 87 of 113
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

I've got one of those LED flashlights with 6 LEDs and it's really bright. Why can't they use like 12 LED's to illuminate a DLP chip and make a projector that would last a long time without needing the expensive bulb replaced???

Because you need a bright point source for projector lenses to work. In any case its the old 'consumables' game. The projectors are relatively cheap because of the commodity nature of the electronics market. The lamps however are only made by a small number of manufacturers and enjoy a large mark-up; same as printers/ink cartridges.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by e-thor

Like... there's a missing link

doh! its there now...
  • Reply 89 of 113
    I think Macworld's interview with Steve Jobs regarding computers and TVs bit leads us to discard this projector stuff. However, it could be read both ways since he mentions that in the future you'll be able to connect both (Mac and TV) through airport.

http://www.macworld.com/2004/02/feat...acturns20jobs/
  • Reply 90 of 113
    from looking at the link i posted above, i could see the merits in a small (isight style) personal projector.

but it got me thinking. if this is for real what are the considerations:

-- connectors

ADC? DVI? Firewire?

-- size

small? medium? large?

-- software

would need updates to major iapps (difficult to see with ilife 4 just released)
  • Reply 91 of 113
    first, i just want to say this has already caused a huge paradigm shift in my way of thinking. after reading all of this and thinking about the immediate possibilies, i just glanced over at my current entertainment center and thought about how antiquated it now seems.

now some of you might remember this article back in november, talking about the possibility of apple tablets coming out very soon. scroll on down to the bottom, where he begins talking about 802.15.3. this is wireless technology with the capability to stream full quality HDTV over a distance of 10 feet or so. also note that motorola expects to ship products containing this by (ta da!) january.

suddenly we have a full-fledged entertainment center capable of using existing bluetooth keyboards, and a computer capable of wirelessly streaming HDTV movies to a projector wherever in your room is most convenient. apple has not merged with the television, it has swallowed it whole.

people contemplating getting that $3000 2' flat monitor or a $6000 4' flat TV suddenly have one $3000 option that can go 6'-8', is even flatter than either option, doesn't need wires, and interfaces with both. not to mention the huge amount of sales in the business sector.

bread and butter.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Why buy plasma when you can get a kick ass projector for that price? This is the question I pose to people who buy plasmas. Working on the A/V committee for my church we had to invest alot in HDTV compatible projectors. If Apple can simplify all of this, it would be, literarily, a godsend.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Why buy plasma when you can get a kick ass projector for that price? This is the question I pose to people who buy plasmas. Working on the A/V committee for my church we had to invest alot in HDTV compatible projectors. If Apple can simplify all of this, it would be, literarily, a godsend.

1) Projectors can be hard to locate in many rooms.

2) Wiring to projectors can be difficult, since they are often far from the rest of the electronics.

3) Projectors don't do particularly well in brightly lit rooms, so they're not good as a primary TV.

So, while you can't beat a good projector for serious home-theater use, there are better alternatives for those who just want a nice TV and don't want to deal with the other issues.

Mind you, I'm not a big fan of plasma; I much prefer rear-projector DLP's for their picture quality. But a FP would be completely impractical for me and a lot of other folks. That's why it would be such a bizarre way for Apple to enter the TV convergence market. A set-top box would be a much more natural first step, as it would work with any type of TV.
  • Reply 94 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    And, at the risk of repeating myself, projectors already on the market do a great job. There are astonishingly small 2000 lumen projectors that give great video. There isn't really much opportunity for Apple to "simplify" the experience, I mean, you connect a cable and turn them on.

Talk of automatic color calibration and the like is a little silly-- it would add quite a bit to the cost of a projector and solve a problem that doesn't really exist (most modern projectors do perfectly good color right out of the box, and menu based tweeking is available for the videophiles).

HD wireless would be cool, but I think that would be better served by a set top box so you could use it with any display device. (woops, Neil beat me to it).
  • Reply 95 of 113
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ahhhhh.... cool. See, these are a couple of things Apple can solve.

Quote:

1) Projectors can be hard to locate in many rooms.

See my earlier posts regarding auto-setup and calibration, even when the projector is in a far less than optimal position with respect to its display surface. This sort of making an established technology *easy* to use, and *flexible* to use is what Apple excels at.

Quote:

2) Wiring to projectors can be difficult, since they are often far from the rest of the electronics.

Indeed, and Apple has an established track record of pushing wireless technologies.

Quote:

3) Projectors don't do particularly well in brightly lit rooms, so they're not good as a primary TV.

Don't have a good answer to that one.

You know how hard and tiresome it can be to set up a projector, but imagine if you could just walk into any room where WiFi is available, plop down 'the box', aim it roughly at the wall or surface you want to project onto, have it auto-calibrate and correct, and get on the network with a button switch.

Opportunities become numerous... it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Grab the laptop and the projector, and you can show home movies, images, etc, at the family reunion without trouble.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    Blast from the past: Epson S1 Projector from MWNY last July.

(sorry, WMP needed for this video)

Epson showcased a sub $1K portable projector at last summer's Mac World. Could the guts of this 1200 lumens projector be at the heart of a future Apple product?

The addition of Motorola's UWB (formerly xTremeSpectrum) technology as Cringely postulates in TheFake's link would make this the sort of revolutionary product that Apple's fans have come to expect.

edit: replacement lamp for this is $175.99 at Amazon ($199.99 MSLP)
  • Reply 97 of 113
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I was at BestBuy awhile back & I was passing the home theater area. I saw this beautiful 50" plasma screen that 2 sales guys were setting up. One of the guys asked if I had any questions, so I asked about how long the plasma lasts before the brightness starts fading. (I remembered reading an article in Popular Science & that was one of the "cons" for plasmas.) The 2 sales guys says that plasmas don't fade & even if they did they could go to your house & replace the plasma gas.

Now the little voice in my head was screaming, BULLS#@T! How can salesmen say something that blatently false. Actually going to your house & replacing the plasma gas! The idea of spending five grand or more based on that information & then getting screwed when you call customer service 2 years later with the reply, "You can't swap the gas from a plasma screen" is criminal in my opinion.

• Reply 98 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Now the little voice in my head was screaming, BULLS#@T! How can salesmen say something that blatently false. Actually going to your house & replacing the plasma gas! The idea of spending five grand or more based on that information & then getting screwed when you call customer service 2 years later with the reply, "You can't swap the gas from a plasma screen" is criminal in my opinion.

Welcome to the wonderful world of dumb-a$$ technology salespeople. Gifted with the education of a 12-year-old, and the insights of a rock, they're always a good source of information.

<disclaimer>Yes, I know there are some good ones out there, but the vast majority really suck.</disclaimer>
  • Reply 99 of 113
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Aren't all projectors sucky? I can't even imagine a market for those machines (well only a small market).

Here you go from Dell.....

From cnbc.com // © 2004 BusinessWire

Dell DELL customers can now choose a new high-brightness conference room projector that delivers crisp images from many angles and comes with picture-in-picture (PIP), among many new features.

The Dell 4100MP Projector, introduced today, is targeted at business and education customers looking for high-performance projectors for large conference rooms or classrooms.

Priced at $2,099, the projector weighs 6.5 pounds and uses Digital Light Processing(tm) (DLP) DDR technology to produce clear, sharp images. The unit features a 2,000:1 contrast ratio and a brightness of 2,200 ANSI lumens (max)(a). Through its auto-sync feature, the 4100MP's native XGA (1024 x 768 dpi) resolution will adjust to accommodate that of the source device.

Dell 4100MP Projector

Will we see something soon from Apple ???
  • Reply 100 of 113
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

I was at BestBuy awhile back & I was passing the home theater area. I saw this beautiful 50" plasma screen that 2 sales guys were setting up. One of the guys asked if I had any questions, so I asked about how long the plasma lasts before the brightness starts fading. (I remembered reading an article in Popular Science & that was one of the "cons" for plasmas.) The 2 sales guys says that plasmas don't fade & even if they did they could go to your house & replace the plasma gas.

*laugh* You should have asked them to show you the inlet valve!