Oscar Nominations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alright, what is the deal with not having the Matrix Reloaded or Revolutions be nominated for anything? Not even visual effects? I am a big fan, and somewhat surprised. Was / is the whole Matrix Trilogy just a type of cult following with a few dedicated fans, or was it just hyped out of proportion bye everyone, thus got lucky making money?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    What matrix?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    They weren't nominated for anything because they weren't very good.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    i too was kinda shocked with that. i dunno really--maybe they didnt want competing movies or something. oscar or not though, they advanced the industry by leaps and bounds, even though not many people give them credit for it. sure, their effects were somewhat cartoony in parts, but if you knew how they made the effects, then compared those graphics to video games, for example, you'd be in awe. (seriously, if you saw graphics like the ones from the superbrawl in a video game, you'd flip out). anyways, lotr deserves the oscar, hands down, matrix or no matrix. gollum is incredible.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Return of the King will clean up in most of the major categories.

Probably win Best Picture, Best Director, Visual Effects awards, Costumes, Best Adapted Screenplay, etc.

I haven't seen Last Samurai, Pirates, or Master and Commander, all of which compete in a few areas.

Matrix 2 and 3 might have won Lamest sequel, Wasted Potential, and Dude where's my refund?

It would be interesting to see Finding Nemo win best screenplay.

Charlie Rose last night had a good panel of film reviewers discussing the nominations.

full list of nominees here
  • Reply 5 of 28
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Mystic River!
  • Reply 6 of 28
    No chance of LOTR just going away then?

Damn

I didn't enjoy the first one, stupidity drove me to endure the second and I can't face the awful prospect of sitting (read sleeping) through the third; so I haven't seen it. I'd wish it luck in the Oscars if I thought that would be the end of it...
  • Reply 7 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    weren't the oscars on a couple nights ago? i am confused.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Ummm, those were the Golden Globes...different deal.

The MATRIX flops were well-placed outside of the race for Academy Awards. If they deserved anything it might've been for a technical award...but storyline? Bah! Acting? Double BAH!

I saw Mystic River and it was well done, but as I'm an avowed Escapist, it left me cold. Good directing, good acting, interesting plot...but too much like real life. I already have enough of that.

I'll cheer LotR to the end - cheer it like I do Macs. Pointless to try to convince me otherwise.

I want Johnny Depp to beat out everybody to win for a comic character, but I also want Billy Murray to win. Hmmph.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Ummm, those were the Golden Globes...different deal.

Oh. How are the "Oscars" different?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    More money.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    I personally think the Tim Burton's "Big Fish" should have been nominated for more than "Best Original Score." :/ It was a great movie.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Not that I keep up on entertainment or anything like that, but I believe that the Golden Globes include TV as well as films, and the Oscars are just films. But I really have no idea.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

Was / is the whole Matrix Trilogy just a type of cult following with a few dedicated fans, or was it just hyped out of proportion bye everyone, thus got lucky making money?

Yes, and yes.

Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

I personally think the Tim Burton's "Big Fish" should have been nominated for more than "Best Original Score." :/ It was a great movie.

Danny Elfman is a God amongst mortals.

Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

I'm not entirely clear on how the Hollywood Foreign Press makes their picks, but the Oscars are voted on by all the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, of which there are ~6000 voting members. Everyone from actors to directors to writers...even PR people. In other words, don't yell at your grips.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The best animated feature category is a farce. Voters will look at animated flicks and automatically discount them for the best film category.

Oh yeah, Captain Jack!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    I don't tend to think of associating in "cults" because they usually are looked at as a bad thing, however, being that the mac has a 3% marketshare, and 709 gave me confirmation about the matrix being a cult following, It seems like I am a part of 2 kind of cultish things. Weird.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Personally I think Depp didn't deserve the nomination...besides, it doesn't take as much to play an over the top character.

Didn't see Mystic River, but Penn was pretty good in 21 grams too (as was DelToro).
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Personally I think Depp didn't deserve the nomination...besides, it doesn't take as much to play an over the top character.

Didn't see Mystic River, but Penn was pretty good in 21 grams too (as was DelToro).

Depp's portrayal of Jack Sparrow was over-the-top, sure, but it was *perfect* Every nuance, every step, every blink of an eye was as it should have been. No other actor propped up his movie like Depp did.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yup, JohnnyD inhabited that role like none of the other guys did. I supposed I don't worship at the altar of post-Spaghetti Clint like some do.

A pirate's life for me!
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Then how do you explain Beauty and the Beast? Was that just a horrible year for "real" films, then?

Eh? Beauty and the Beast rocked, but it didn't win, and the best animated feature category didn't exist yet.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Danny Elfman is a God amongst mortals.

I agree that Big Fish had GREAT music, but it was also such a good movie. Seems to me like it should have been nominated for more.