Viruses, you got 'em.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

What are you going to do, apologise to the whole Mac world if someone takes up the challenge?

Who is to say someone hasn't tried?

You've done fine well to lay out your theories about computing habits, but you have yet to lay out any concrete examples about how something will happen. Do it, please.

Quote:

But those have been written for PCs, not targeted at Macs. Really, a knowledgeable Mac programmer of *lowly* skill could do it.

Again we have theory, conjecture, and quite probably FUD.

Give us a real example, please, not your own little theories.
  • Reply 62 of 111
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

how many Mac viruses exist for OSX at this time: (a numeric answer will be fine)

How about I expand on that a little, give you a better answer?

How many viruses/virii/wetf exist for Mac OS X right now? Answer, I don't know, do you? Could be zero, could be 1. How many do you need?

Here's the better answer.

How many viruses could *I* write in the next 24 hours?

At least one.

Give me another 24 hours and I could write another one.

How many trojans could you give access to your system in the next 24 hours? Could be none, hopefully.

I'm really sort of tempted to put a couple of scenarios down - but I'm not going to, because some stupid twat will actually try it.
  • Reply 63 of 111
    umm(this is expected but so what)

okay clive, go write one* and report back in 24 hours

• Reply 64 of 111
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so it's really easy, you could do it in under 24 hours, and no one in the world has done it yet.

with all the windows users who just hate macs, and mac users i'm supposed to believe that?

sure thing.
  • Reply 65 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Who is to say someone hasn't tried?

Who's to say they haven't succeeded?

Quote:

You've done fine well to lay out your theories about computing habits, but you have yet to lay out any concrete examples about how something will happen. Do it, please.

I've already done it, and those examples are not theory, they are fact.

There's no way I am going to post step by step tutorials about MacOS vulnerabilities.

Quote:

Again we have theory, conjecture, and quite probably FUD.

I don't really see what I personally would have to gain through FUD. I don't usually post to this section of AI, I just thought it appropriate to do so because ofrecent events.

Don't shoot the messenger here.

Quote:

Give us a real example, please, not your own little theories.

These are not my own little theories, I have seen them discussed on technical Mac boards in the past, and I had a discussion about the same yesterday with a tech savvy user/programmer.

Like I wrote before, let any programmer here stand up and say I am wrong. Don't put me down just because *you* don't know.
  • Reply 66 of 111
    Quote:

so it's really easy, you could do it in under 24 hours, and no one in the world has done it yet.

You wrote that, not me.

Quote:

with all the windows users who just hate macs, and mac users i'm supposed to believe that?

sure thing.

See, this is just ignorance. You think it's smart to say that, but it's just really, really ignorant.

Can you compile a Mac application ready to run on Windows? Uh, duh!

What you going to test it on? Your Windows box?

Let's say a Windows user managed to get access to a Mac to test and write this virus on. By the time he'd learnt the ins and outs of Mac programming he may well have turned into a Mac lover, just like all of you.

You *cannot* launch a DOS attack from my Mac!

I just proved otherwise. Really, tell me it cannot be done with a JavaScript and *no* authentication.
  • Reply 67 of 111
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    hey clive

you make a mac virus that is generally accepted as being a virus by the posters in this thread, I'll send you $20 cash.

you have a WEEK

that should be plenty of time.

I will keep to my word, if you could make a Mac OS X virus I WILL SEND YOU $20

I believe it is impossible... and if it is possible it will get patched before you even post here about it

and by all means--EDUCATE US to the vulnerabilities of the mac OS... if you don't then we could get a fantom mac virus!!! GASP!!! HELP US PROTECT OUR MACHINES!

you sir are a troll... unless you post some substance...
  • Reply 68 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I believe it is impossible...

Then, think different.

Quote:

...and if it is possible it will get patched before you even post here about it.

I don't really see how something can get patched before it's even identified?

The exploits I know of are pretty much unpatchable anyway (laugh here). That's not because they are technically unstoppable, but just that you wouldn't like the results thereof.

Hey, ****it, I don't care, like you guys wrote earlier "ignorance is bliss".
  • Reply 69 of 111
    Quote:

you sir are a troll... unless you post some substance...

Read the post immediately above, dumkopf.

JavaScript... DOS... no authentication. Thank you.
  • Reply 70 of 111
    wait, so you do know of flaws that could be exploited specifically, then why'd you go in such a round-about way with this thread? couldn't you have just said "I found such and such security thing that could be exploited and cause major havoc to the OX system"? \
  • Reply 71 of 111
    call
  • Reply 72 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

wait, so you do know of flaws that could be exploited specifically, then why'd you go in such a round-about way with this thread? couldn't you have just said "I found such and such security thing that could be exploited and cause major havoc to the OX system"? \

Well, because the vulnerabilities are basically well known, and, like I already wrote, are not really patchable.

To have a "secure" computing platform, that some of you really think you already have, is really not that practical a proposition.

Isn't it enough for me to *prove* (any doubters?) that your copy of Safari can take part in a DOS attack, without your direct knowledge (but by your own actions) - after someone else says it's impossible?

Really, I know a bit more than most of you, perhaps not much, but that's more than enough.
  • Reply 73 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

call

... home ET?
  • Reply 74 of 111
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Ill send twenty dollars (US) too if you write a virus that everyone can agree is a virus.. or worm for that matter.

Now to everyone else whos interested in security, have you guys ever checked out the Hardened Gentoo's SELinux Demo Machine

secure system from Gentoo

its a perfect system for Clive as it examines everything you do before deciding whether to execute or not.

They give you root permission on their server and invite you to play around, kinda neat if your into that kind of thing.
  • Reply 75 of 111
    Well, just like I presented the evidence for why viruses is the correct plural of virus, I think many people here would like to see the evidence to your claims about how vulnerable OS X is, I don't think that OS X is impermeable, but the raw numbers of how much 'malware' there is on windows, compared to how little(last reports were 0) combined with UNIX's history and reputation of being a stable and safe system, do create many skeptics among this crowd. ya know?
  • Reply 76 of 111
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, from the front page of /.

"FBI security guys are using Macs because, 'those machines can do just about anything: run software for Mac, Unix, or Windows, using either a GUI or the command line. And they're secure out of the box.' Another good quote: 'If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac.'"
  • Reply 77 of 111
    Quote:

'If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac.'"

Read the story: "except if you're in Canada"
  • Reply 78 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

... home ET?

Call as in poker. wagers have been made. show cards.

If you don't want to demonstrate a worm or virus,

post the links to your previously discussed OS X vulnerabilities
  • Reply 79 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Well, just like I presented the evidence for why viruses is the correct plural of virus, I think many people here would like to see the evidence to your claims about how vulnerable OS X is, I don't think that OS X is impermeable...

Curiousburb previously wrote:

I'm saying that DOS attacks cannot be launched from my machine, spam cannot be sent, unauthorized or unknown actions cannot take place... PERIOD

I think I have already proven the point, I don't need to list every vulnerbility, or user misconception, to show that there are possibilities beyond those you have already considered.

Many people would like to know what I know about these issues. Well, do it the hard way, just like I did.

I'm just offering you advice, if you don't want it - not my problem, well, I suppose not until you are the problem and end up disrupting my services.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Call as in poker. wagers have been made. show cards.

If you don't want to demonstrate a worm or virus,

post the links to your previously discussed OS X vulnerabilities

I have already shown my royal flush, and you lost.

Tell me again that your Mac cannot be used in a DOS attack?