Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    and again we mourn the lack of Tom Bombadil in the films

one of my very few gripes
  • Reply 82 of 84
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

One thing that really bothered me about this movie was the death scene of the Witch-King of Angmar.

In the book the only reason that Eowyn was able to slay the Witch-King was because Marry stabbed him behind the knee with a magic dagger taken form the barrow downs....

Right, but the barrow downs / Tom B were not in the movie trilogy (due almost certainly to time constraints for the cinema versions), so how could that context have been brought forth?

I think Jackson did a good job of choosing which passages from the books to cut. Something had to give. I have more an issue with the chapters in the movie where Faramir meets Frodo and Sam, because the way they parted was completely different from the book. Frodo and Sam never went to Osgiliath with Faramir. That whole passage with the Nazgul hovering over Frodo as he stands on a ruined walkway never happend. None of it did.

It was wierd to me, because Jackson kept most of the context of their meeting / and words in the secret caves the same as the book, but the send-off was totally different. Also, in the movie, Faramir is not made to seem as contemplative and wise as he is in the books. He seems much more impatient and almost mean-spirited until he lets them go.

This is the only part that didn't make sense to me... but adding in Bombadil would have tacked on an hour to the first movie, easily. Keep all else, it would've made the movie too long for theatre goers I think. Why he didn't put it in the Extended Edition I don't know. Consistency I guess.

Maybe at some later time, they will add that in, the way new stuff was added to the remastered Star Wars trilogy?
  • Reply 83 of 84
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Right, but the barrow downs / Tom B were not in the movie trilogy (due almost certainly to time constraints for the cinema versions), so how could that context have been brought forth?

I think Jackson did a good job of choosing which passages from the books to cut. Something had to give. I have more an issue with the chapters in the movie where Faramir meets Frodo and Sam, because the way they parted was completely different from the book. Frodo and Sam never went to Osgiliath with Faramir. That whole passage with the Nazgul hovering over Frodo as he stands on a ruined walkway never happend. None of it did.

It was wierd to me, because Jackson kept most of the context of their meeting / and words in the secret caves the same as the book, but the send-off was totally different. Also, in the movie, Faramir is not made to seem as contemplative and wise as he is in the books. He seems much more impatient and almost mean-spirited until he lets them go.

I agree completely. Of course I still loved the movie, but I'm almost annoyed by how much Jackson changed Faramir's character.

Quote:

Maybe at some later time, they will add that in, the way new stuff was added to the remastered Star Wars trilogy?

Oh jeez, I hope not. That would just be confusing. At least the stuff they added in Star Wars didn't change what happened in other parts of the movie. They'd have to re-shoot all the scenes from Bree to Weathertop and probably a few more to keep consistency if they added Bombadil back in. I almost always skip that part when I'm reading the books anyway. Bombadil seems too much like a happy hippie to me, so I don't like him.
  • Reply 84 of 84
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Quote:

This is the only part that didn't make sense to me... but adding in Bombadil would have tacked on an hour to the first movie, easily. Keep all else, it would've made the movie too long for theatre goers I think. Why he didn't put it in the Extended Edition I don't know. Consistency I guess.

My theory as to why Faramir did/behaved the way he did in the movie was because of the (what would seem consistent) effect of the ring. Boromir was easily corrupted by the ring being of his race of men (not the race that Aragorn belongs to). Faramir, one would think, would be just as easily corrupted, but because the ring has grown in power being closer to Mordor, Faramir is in a desparate situation with fighting Mordor from his lands, and he greatly wants his father to accept him. All these things seem to point to the fact that he, in reality, would want the ring even greater than Boromir, but in the book he kinda shrugged off that possibility and sent Frodo and co. on their way. That's why I think Peter Jackson changed it.

On Bombadil, he really didn't have any relevance to the overall plot: added nothing and took nothing away. He was just there, more of a - friendly fellow you pass by on those typical adventures - type of character. Outside of that chapter he was only mentioned briefly in the Council of Elrond. That's it, so when you have to cut certain parts out for time constraints, that's an obvious character/chapter that you don't have to develope and conclude.