g5 pci video card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'd like to get a dual display pci video card for my g5 dual 2 gig. the cheapest thing that will work (and run quartz extreme) will make me happy. any recommendations? thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Your dualie already has a dual-display supporting video card. It should have come with a DVI to VGA adapter just for that purpose. And it will without a doubt support QE. You don't need a new card, the standard card will do all you ask of it.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Yeah, but what if he wants to run 4 monitors

Does the radeon 7000 series support quartz extreme? I am not even sure now but a quick check of ATI's website should tell ya.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The only reason you could need a PCI video card would be if you need more than two displays. If you want to connect two monitors, put them both on the stock video card. If you want to connect a third monitor, then get a PCI video card. Also, PCI video cards aren't supported for Quartz Extreme, although there is a hack that lets you enable them if they would otherwise support it. Only the Radeon PCI and Radeon 7000 PCI would be able to use Quartz Extreme using the hack. But you don't need to worry about any of this if you only want one or two monitors connected.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I am in fact planning on running 4 CRTs

the 7000 is the one i have been looking at, but i thought maybe i could find something cheaper.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    If you don't mind my asking...why do you need 4 displays? Thats gonna suck up quite a bit of power, be prepared for one heck of a power bill.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    well, i'm a programmer and a student and a general tech junkie... i host a few websites on my machine, i'm always doing stuff on the side like searching for something or reading something, chat, email.... i actually probably won't get 4 monitors for a while... and the thing is i will probably run a 19 and two or three 15s (i can buy old ones off of friends and such for $30). if i could afford two decent 21s then i would probably go for that.

well on second though, i think i really like the ergonomics of having a main workspace and then a monitor for "other"... so maybe my dream affordable setup would be two identical 19s for my main work, and a 15 on the side for chat windows and email.

oh an my electricity is included in my rent... which is a really nice thing in houston in the summer...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    i'm looking at this bad boy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

any reason i shouldn't go for it? am i going to have to flash the firmware to make it work for mac?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnjosephbachir

i'm looking at this bad boy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

any reason i shouldn't go for it? am i going to have to flash the firmware to make it work for mac?

I do not think all peecee Radeons are 'flash-able' Something about the bios being too small. I had a 64 MB 7000 that worked fine on my beige MT except for some minor sleep issues. It didn't result in any real discernable difference over the Radeon ME (original, 32 MB) so I put the ME back.

Amongst the beige guru types on the Apple forums the original ME (_not_ the 7000) is the PCI vid card of choice, although they are very hard to find.

Here's a link to a thread on those boards discussing flashing Radeons:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/1
  • Reply 9 of 9
    great link, thanks!