mobile phone GSM advice

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need advice from some Americans.

I live in Europe, I own a mobile phone that can be used in the U.S. I will be staying in NYC for 2 months this year, (which I am very looking forward to) If I use my European telephone number to call and be called while I am in NYC, I will have one expensive phone bill to pay.

I was thinking that if I make sure my phone is SIM lock free, can I buy a SIM card for a GSM mobile phone without buying the whole phone ? which network has the best reception / coverage for NYC ? and how much should I pay, can I get pre-paid ?

all reactions welcome, thanks,

DG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I can't answer any of your Qs but this fact will cut your research time and effort: There is only one company that works with GSM and that is T-Mobile. The service is fine in NYC. I belive you can also rent phones that accomodate chips for GSM phones but the fact that you only need them short term and that, you need to be connected, they'll screw you to a point of costing same or more...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

There is only one company that works with GSM and that is T-Mobile.

Are you sure? I have Sprint, which is not GSM, but surely others, such as AT&T and Cingular, are GSM.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Why don't you get a pre paid wireless plan (like Virgin Mobile) when your here in The States? It's relatively cheap, no phone to buy, no contract to sign. It's easy, safe, and inexpensive.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah, phone service is screwed up in the US... especially when compared to europe...

get a cheap prepaid phone and throw it away when you are done... (heh or something like that...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Greetings,

I have been working in the wireless field for 14years and currently work for Nokia. Yes you can purchase a SIM card here for your phone. If you have any questions send me a mail and I will help you out.

Cheers,

Gregg
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dgnldgnl Posts: 42member
    Thanks for input people, I think I will go with what Gregg says and get a SIM card in the U.S.