Conan In Canada

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Those crazy Canucks seem to enjoy it. The sequence with Conan at the toll booth was pretty darned funny. I missed Mike Meyers. Did Mikey do a good job?

Edit: sorry to the rest of the world, I speak of none other than Conan O'Brien, talk show host....he's normally in New York City but this week he was in Toronto, Canada.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Apparently, the mayor of quebec(or whatever the high-up guy is called) wanted the shows banned from canada, painting conan as a racist.

I'll try and find a link in a second.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...anada_conan_dc

that aside, they were all hilarious
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Thing is, the government gave the show money to come up there, to boost their profile. (What, with SARS and everything.) Now a bunch of people are whining cause of some "racist" comments that were supposedly made and trying to push to get the government to take the subsidy back.

Of course, I have no idea what percentage of people in Canada are actually the whiny bitches that are in the news right now, but I'm sure no one will be talking about it in a month.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I watched all 4. I tried to get tickets, but the lottery didn't go my way i guess.

I think the first ep was the best of the 4. Mike was great, but most of the humour is targeted at the Canadian and more specifically the Toronto audience. Not sure how well the Toronto stop is doing in the states, but i assume not so well.

The segment at the border was good, but not as funny as when he went to practice with the leafs.

Triumph's segment in Quebec was very funny, but apparently many were offended, i was laughing. They actually took that part out during the re-broadcast due to complaints.

Anyway i've thoroughly enjoyed Conan's stop in Toronto. Maybe it will be the start of a trend?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Thanks for the edit.

I thought that you where refering to Conan the barbarian. Anyway i am confident if such a dumbass will lurk in Canada, Murbot will kick his ass out of Canuckland
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Yeah, the toll booth segment was hilarious. What race did Triumph insult on Quebec? I still don't get that one.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    They're saying it insulted the French and gay people (by cracking French jokes and queer jokes). So I guess they're insinuating that French-speaking people are somehow a separate race from other caucasians. So maybe they're the racists?

These people just blow my mind, I mean, it's not like they didn't know what kind of show Late Night with Conan O'Brien was. For crying out loud, this is the same show that has the Masturbating Bear. Toronto paid Conan to come. He came. He did what he does. People enjoyed it, it gave Toronto some publicity and some name recognition.

But of course, someone is always going to bitch.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Canadian bashing and the typical Conan laughs? Sounds like a good time 8)
  • Reply 8 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I only saw the last part of night #4, too bad - I'd have enjoyed seeing Mike Meyers. Jim Carey stopped with his head shaved for Lemony Snicket (sp?)...he sang some a song about Toronto and was generally entertaining.

In regard to the Quebecois being miffed at the show poking fun at them, it isn't like they haven't painted themselves as petulant foot-stompers. Protect and preserve their cultural heritage? Absolutely! Be whiney little schoolgirls about it? Wait'll we catch you on the comedy playground!

Oh yeah! They had a limbo contest between the Seattle Space Needle and the Toronto something-or-other (which is apparently taller). The space needle won the contest, but the Toronto tower picked up a chair and broke it over the Seattle tower's back. Kind of funny.

I prefer Pimp-bot 5000.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I liked the clairvoyant sitting on the toilet robot.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    I have much less of a problem with Conan than with Cherry...

One is funny the other is an idiot.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    You wear a visor, eh?
  • Reply 12 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    But on the Thursday show, Late Night regular Triumph -- a cigar-chomping, politically incorrect puppet -- was dispatched to the Quebec winter carnival in a pre-taped segment that took on Quebecers in general and separatists in particular.

"So you're French and Canadian, yes? So you're obnoxious and dull," the puppet told one passerby. "You're in North America, learn the language," he hollered at another.

When one couple confirmed they were separatists the puppet said, "Listen closely. Hear that? It's the sound of no one giving a -" followed by an expletive bleep.

Comedy Gold!

• Reply 13 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Don Cherry is no idiot. He was a so-so player, and a short lived coach, and yet he remains in demand by a great deal of the hockey watching public.

Idiot? Uh-un, pretty savvy guy actually.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    PElease... Saying that it is mostly french guys and europeans wear visors and implying that it is because they are less courageous than the macho all-canadian anglos is incredibly stupid.

He is a redneck and I am sorry that his fans look up to him and perhaps make decisions that could affect their personnal safety. Wearing a visor has no bearing on the toughness of a player... Hell, just ask tie domi...
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Last I checked, French Canadians were of the same race as the rest of the European decended people out there. Different culture, yes. Same race.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    racist is used instead of ethnocentrist or xenophobe...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Re the Conan comments on Quebec.

I think that the people who may have been offended probably are not familiar with Conan and did not actually see the show. Conan is all about comedy and he dishes it out pretty evenly. In any case, the Insult Dog is not a skit where the insults are all that funny in and of themselves - actually, the individual comments are pretty lame. Instead, what is supposed to be funny is that you have this Dog randomly insulting passers-by. It's concept comedy - and unless you key in on the concept, you are left wondering why anyone would laugh.

That being said, I wonder if Conan was all that well-advised to put that sort of comedy into a situation involving regional and ethnic sensitivities. And while Conan dishes it out pretty evenly, I wonder if he could actually get away with something analogous in the U.S. For example, could he bring his show on the road to the Southern States and do the same skit having the Dog say - to Southerners -

Quote:

"So you're from the Southern U.S.? Yes? So you're backward and overbearing," the puppet tells one passerby. "You're in America - learn to speak without a drawl," he hollers at another.

When one couple confirms they think that the Civil War could be called a war of aggression by the North - the puppet says, "Listen closely. Hear that? It's the sound of no one giving a -" followed by an expletive bleep.*

Could that play as comedy on network T.V. in the U.S.? If it did, would it raise any negative comments?

(*please note - to avoid any offense such as seems to have been caused to some here in Canada - I am not making these insults - I am just trying to consider an theoretical analogy here)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    A famous humorist named Fernand Raynaud, made a silly sketch "ils sont cons ces grenoblois" traduction " People from Grenoble are morons".

He made this sketch at Lyon (his city), who has a huge story of rivaltry with grenoble over centuries.

Even if i am a big fan of Fernand Raynaud, i think that it was one of his worst speech. And i don't say that because i was born and lived for years in Grenoble (Crolles the famous fab, is near Grenoble), but because this kind of sketche is lame. In fact i never see this sketch, he was quickly forgetten.

All humorist have their bad moments.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I'm sure if he did the same thing anywhere, there would always be some small group of whiny sensationalist bitches that would have something to say about it.

And don't look at me like that. You know it's true.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You KNOW this place is whiny sensationalist bitch session central!

If you go to www.triumphtheinsultcomicdog.com/ you can go watch a raft of videos of past interviews by the insult comic dog (in case you are unfamiliar with his act - PowerDoc should go see it). He is supposed to be like Don Rickles doing his stage act....rougher than what you'd see on television. Don't miss the Star Wars Geek interviews down near the bottom.

I'll bet that the unexpected benefit of Conan's visit North Of The Border was increased ratings. Let's see if they decide to ship him somewhere else during the May Sweeps.