Alias in Acquisition Talks with Private Equity Firm

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I can't believe no one is talking about this in here. Are Mac OS X based Maya users going to be screwed? ARTICLE AT ALIAS.COM

Scares the sh*t out of me.

More at MacCentral.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Why would this be bad ? It just an independent investment company who's in the talks with Alias. SGI needs money.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    There could be a number of potential suitors for Maya. Apple for one. Although it's debateable that Apple needs a 3D app when they have Maya, LW, C4D amongst others.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Why would this be bad ? It just an independent investment company who's in the talks with Alias. SGI needs money.

Sure, but what if the new big dogs say drop the Mac version, or something like that . An independent investment company could mean anybody. But it's definitely not Apple to my regret. I wish it were. Apple should have tried this a while back. At any rate. There isn't yet a Mac version of Maya Unlimited, and this could stop hopes of ever getting it, and/or slow the Mac side development to a practical halt.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Could be. \

But the Mac version of Maya became quite popular and already accounts for around 30% of their total sales. They also sell SGI Maya, wich is also Unix. So their porting efforts pay almost double ...

Ofcourse, you never know and I, too, would like Apple to buy Alias. FCP, Shake, Soundtrack/Logic and Maya. What a package !
  • Reply 5 of 7
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    There should be no fears of Mac development. Alias makes a lot of money off of Mac users, with that number be steady. With the advent of the G5 and other things on the horizon I would say that Mac development in the 3D market is strong.

SGI is a company that is hurting right now. The reason Alias is looking at a alternative is because if they stay with SGI, they might have money issues at some point. Alias shouldn't have to fund the survival of SGI. That is what they are trying to avoid with this recent announcement.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

. They also sell SGI Maya, wich is also Unix. So their porting efforts pay almost double ...

I believe your thinking of the IRIX operating system. It's not Unix. Not really even close compared to Linux which does have an Unlimited version of Maya.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I believe your thinking of the IRIX operating system. It's not Unix. Not really even close compared to Linux which does have an Unlimited version of Maya.

IRIX is a BSD based off MIPS OS.

Legally, neither BSD nor Linux are Unixes. But that pretty much means that hardly any OS of today is truly a Unix any more.

So I would count IRIX as a Unix, yes.