Are there still Mac haters out there?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well on the iPod thing, a lot of it is jealousy.

Building a performance PC does cost money. Nowadays you want at least a 2800 Athlon and a Radeon 9800. Not to mention a decent 17" LCD etc. You do not get this for $800. You talking BS or you got it off the back of a lorry if you say this.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    eh? why are you trying to tell me that my brother's computer doesn't play the games that it plays?

it performs just fine(no choppiness), on many of the latest games, at least the latest games worth playing, apart from crashing a lot, but that's just windows for ya.

additionally, you don't need an LCD to play games so why exaggerate the cost by saying you do.

He got all his parts from newegg.com fwiw
  • Reply 23 of 41
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

$1200 *is* cheap for a gaming rig.

2k$ is about the norm for a top of the line, and 3k$ isn't totally unheard of.

Nowadays most people are building gaming rigs for about $1000 or less. Only the people who want bleeding edge tech hit the $2000 mark.

Here is an example:

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB OEM $215

MSI K7N-2 Delta ILSR $110

Athlon XP 3200 $190

512-MB (2x256-MB) PC3200 Corsair $85

Antec case w 400w power supply $85

Floppy Drive $10

Intel: 80 GB Western Digital SE $80

AOpen 48x24x48x16 Combo Drive $50

Windows xp home OEM $90

That comes out to around $915 and is a very kick ass machine.

But Macs should never be compared to home built computers, they should be compared to upscale PCs like alianware.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    That's more or less what my brother built, except with a Geforce4 ti 4600, and he has two drives(CD-rw and DVD-rom separate)

additionally he has 1 GB of RAM(512 he bought, 512 he got from a friend)

and he has 2 HDs

but yeah, that's basically it, and it still holds up well by todays standards, sure it might chug a little playing UT2k4 at max settings, but so what? doesn't mean you can't play it at slightly lowered settings.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    I think a lot of the hate has to do with the two mindsets of each platform, when I was reading the Build Your Own PC magazine, I was suddenly feeling myself being drawn into (as I can best describe) a addictive suffering mood.

(I think the stockholm syndrome for PC users is true)

There are thousands of things that can go wrong building a PC.

Forget the thermal pad or compound and your $800 CPU's could melt, if your not careful you can "ridiculously easy" crush your CPU's. One Moboard may not survive the next processor upgrade cycle, the list goes on and on.

Once something goes wrong with your homebuilt PC, all these things you did run through your mind, you may even go off and disassemble your whole box on a false whim. Your always worrying if you made the right choice, you get belittled by the Intel faithful for picking AMD, your X part doesn't work with Y...

People deep down want to be happy, having built houses for people for several years I've noticed a trend that apply's to this.

If I can just work with the designer and together we get the job finished, without owner present. Most times we make the owner extremely pleased.

They get a fancy shiny new house, without knowing all the details or headaches.

But if I have to build a house for a owner that wants to know every move we make and why, then no matter what, they are never truly happy. Because they find a reason to bitch about something, endless "why did you do that" questions.

Then only by experience of doing something over and over, can one really do something right the first time.

So how many PC's were built by folks and trashed because they couldn't do it right the first time? Of course this isn't added to the overall cost of building a PC, nor is the time spent learning the process when someone says "I've built a PC for $400".

As I look into the guts of my G5, I realize it's just a bunch of parts in a box. But put together by qualified experienced people, no need for me to worry. I just get to enjoy.

So with Mac's you pay a bit more, but ignorance is bliss.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:

But Macs should never be compared to home built computers, they should be compared to upscale PCs like alianware.

I agree, it's like comparing apples to oranges, the only thing is the same is that their both fruit.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Well a good PC for gaming costs a lot here in the UK. Plus, the cheapest parts aren't always the best.

I'm building a PC for a friend. 2800 Athlon, Asus nforce2, 512MB ddr333, 120GB, DVD-RW, Radeon 9800. A few other things. This costs £850. I still have to get the cables, the fans, the case, a floppy drive, a keyboard, a mouse, speakers, sound card (though not really needed with this motherboard).

All in all it'll cost about £1000, at current exchange rates that's something like $1800 or more. If you're talking about massively cheap parts, I don't care, you get what you pay for, and that isn't much.

At least Apple parts last. I know it's still too expensive (certainly in the UK) but a mac does not fall apart or fail to function like it once did over a period of time. Also, try putting a radeon 9800xt into your 1800 athlon machine (or whatever) to give it a boost. Much of the time it won't work. I've seen it happen. One friend bought a radeon 9000 pro to put in his PIII machine, crashed all the time. Do you see this when you match a G4 to a radeon 9800? Nope.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    One can buy a GameCube -and- an XBOX -and- a PS2, with money to spare to buy a ton of games for the price of one so called gaming PC.

• Reply 29 of 41
    Yea...its still out there...

Many of them just say "Macs are gay...you cant do anything on them there are no programs" blah blah blah........and half of them have never used one.

Sad.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Macs are gay; if you haven't noticed metrosexual is in right now.

Arts, pretty gay. Fruity colors, gay. No crashes, reliability, Happy. Happy, gay.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

One can buy a GameCube -and- an XBOX -and- a PS2, with money to spare to buy a ton of games for the price of one so called gaming PC.

Exactly, that's why all these game software stores no longer carry anymore PC game software.

It's switching over to cheaper dedicated boxes.

And I would call anything about a G5 "gay", 64 bit dual processing on the up and down clock cycle, mean looking heat sinks, big fans, Remmington razor grill.

Nothing "gay" about this bad boy. It's stylish, fast and powerful, a real class act.

Edited for clarity
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sailfish

Exactly, that's why all these game software stores no longer carry anymore PC game software.

It's switching over to cheaper dedicated boxes.

And I would call anything about a G5 "gay", 64 bit dual processors, on the up and DOWN cycle, beefy looking head sinks, big fans, Remmington razor grill.

Nothing "gay" about this bad boy. It's stylish, fast and powerful, a real class act.

I'd actually say that is one of the gayest things I've heard in a while. "Beefy looking head sinks on the up and down." Sure I changed the word order but man that's gay.

And what's up with Remmington Razor bit? Does the Beefy Head have to be clean shaven?

• Reply 33 of 41
    unless your an FPS junkie, buying a PC of any kind (windows or mac) is retarded. consoles have and will continue to encroach on PC's turf for gaming, and the next wave of consoles should seal the deal.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

I'd actually say that is one of the gayest things I've heard in a while. "Beefy looking head sinks on the up and down." Sure I changed the word order but man that's gay.

And what's up with Remmington Razor bit? Does the Beefy Head have to be clean shaven?

Not going there...

I really need a full time editor, or a pair of glasses.

Clicked A on menu bar, oh that's better.

• Reply 35 of 41
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

unless your an FPS junkie, buying a PC of any kind (windows or mac) is retarded. consoles have and will continue to encroach on PC's turf for gaming, and the next wave of consoles should seal the deal.

Did you forget strategy, realtime strategy, huge RPG's, flight/space/whatever simulators?

None of that is going to suddenly be better on the console, next gen or not. They are dependent on high resolution and most of all, mouse + keyboard input. When (if) we see those widespread on consoles, the consoles can overtake in those genres. Not before.

Another thing going for the PC is the multiplayer options (think LANs, clanservers, clan tournaments, ladders, professional gaming, massive multiplayer gaming). Also not going to change to the next generation, I think.

This from a currently PS2-only gamer. I'll (re)start PC gaming once I have the hardware and the time. The console rocks for fighting games
  • Reply 36 of 41
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Well a good PC for gaming costs a lot here in the UK. Plus, the cheapest parts aren't always the best.

I'm building a PC for a friend. 2800 Athlon, Asus nforce2, 512MB ddr333, 120GB, DVD-RW, Radeon 9800. A few other things. This costs £850. I still have to get the cables, the fans, the case, a floppy drive, a keyboard, a mouse, speakers, sound card (though not really needed with this motherboard).

All in all it'll cost about £1000, at current exchange rates that's something like $1800 or more. If you're talking about massively cheap parts, I don't care, you get what you pay for, and that isn't much.

At least Apple parts last. I know it's still too expensive (certainly in the UK) but a mac does not fall apart or fail to function like it once did over a period of time. Also, try putting a radeon 9800xt into your 1800 athlon machine (or whatever) to give it a boost. Much of the time it won't work. I've seen it happen. One friend bought a radeon 9000 pro to put in his PIII machine, crashed all the time. Do you see this when you match a G4 to a radeon 9800? Nope.

Ouch, you guys are really getting ripped on prices.

That's twice what you would pay for it in the USA (and I only use high quality parts when I build a PC, that's one reason to build them yourself, you know what's in it).

Apple is always high quality, and I've had very good luck with the Macs I've owned (some bad vram once, and a problem with the screen of my 520c).
  • Reply 37 of 41
    I kinda am, not really any more. The only reason I dont perfer the mac is to run alot of the things I use on a daily basis, I would have to use a pc emulator or something. Also I just like the feeling of suscessfully building your own rig, from putting in the mobo to finally pressing the on button and it acutally turning on. I wouldnt mind to own a newer mac of some sort, but not to replace my windows pc.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by ExtremeODD

m putting in the mobo to finally pressing the on button and it acutally turning on. I wouldnt mind to own a newer mac of some sort, but not to replace my windows pc.

what kind of watercooling did you use ?

ive replaced fans in my x86/sun boxes with zalmans/panaflo's

& they are near dead quiet

hdd's are seagate baracudda's ...also dead quiet

also any side effects to the water cooling ?
  • Reply 39 of 41
    my watercooling isnt a kit or anything, they suck, its this:

Dtec whitewater waterblock

dtec procore (radiator)

76 chevette heatercore (my 2nd radiator)

Enhiem 1250 316 GPH pump

Clearflex tubing

Custom made pvc resivour

the "side effects" of watercooling is, tons quieter computer, way better temps, higher overclocks, faster running games (since u overclocked) the only downside is the possible leak if u dont tighten a clamp, but I laugh at the danger
  • Reply 40 of 41
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    All Mac haters I know are all total jackasses. Why would Apple want to deal with them.