Acrobat is broken! Or is it Quark?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So here's the deal. I'm making a PDF file from Quark 4 using Acrobat 5. All of this is in OS 9. I make a simple Quark File, and make the PDF:

No problems!

I add a line:

No problems!

I make the line a dotted line:

Um, where did the line go?

Even more bizarrely, where did this big blue thing come from? (this image is cropped, there is a similar blue thing at the top of the page too)

If I remove the dotted lines in this file, this blue disappears when I make the PDF file.

I've gotten rid of the preference files. I've reinstalled Acrobat.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? What should I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ok...I checked with Quark 6 in OS X, and I made a fun quark document. Made a line. Made it dotted. Then did quarks built in export as pdf or whatever. It looked fine in preview then.

Bad news...Quark still sucks especially compared to Indesign, and only a few features it has are better.

Good news. OS X quark has a pretty icon.

Edit: I know your in OS 9, but I can't run OS 9...nor do I have quark 4 so just thought I'd let you know if you switch it'll work
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Edit: I know your in OS 9, but I can't run OS 9...nor do I have quark 4 so just thought I'd let you know if you switch it'll work

Well, when I go X, I'm keeping Quark only in case I absolutely need it.

But I will be moving to InDesign. The things is though, that the dotted lines didn't used to be a problem. I have a project that has a lot of them, and I've made many PDFs from that project. It was only recently that this oddness reared it's ugly head.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    How did you create your pdf? I don't remember if quark4 has a export-to-pdf function. But you can try this:

- print to postscript file (.ps) and throw it on distiller

- export as EPS (dcs 2.0) and throw it on distiller (single page only)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by amarone

How did you create your pdf? I don't remember if quark4 has a export-to-pdf function. But you can try this:

- print to postscript file (.ps) and throw it on distiller

- export as EPS (dcs 2.0) and throw it on distiller (single page only)

I use Acrobat to print to a PDF file. (Acrobat sets up a 'Create PDF' "printer") Which is basically your first option.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I can't stand them both, but if you're using distiller look at your compatibility settings, because if you ahve them set too like version 3 or somethen, make sure every is outlined, and masked images won't work either or if they do not very well too. I wish every could take a version 5+ acrobat file
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Um, what size is the dotted line function? Is it some obscenely large number -- creating the blue thing?

?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Um, what size is the dotted line function? Is it some obscenely large number -- creating the blue thing?

?

No. These files used to be fine. I've created PDF files from these Quark files before, with no problems. Something recently stopped working correctly to cause this.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Well, I have been a long time Quark user and have come across something like this in the past. It could be that the lines themselves have supress printout checked. It could be that the point size on the lines is too small. It could be that you are not embedding all fonts (try not to add subets below a certain size percentage, this is in your acrobat prefs.) Let me know if any of these work, and I can help you further if needed. Again, I have been doing design for over 10 years and have trouble shot more than my fair share of files gone silly.

Thanks,

tommy

P.S. PM me so I can give you my email, please send screenshots, as this will help me help you.