WTF - A Folder has Disappeared from my Home Volume!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The Folder "Temporary Items" has disappeared from my Home volume. There is a gap where it's icon used to be. I Relaunched Finder several times -- all to no avail. I made a search for "Temporary Items" -- one folder was found but this was in a different place and is unrelated. I tried to create a new folder in my Home volume called "Temporary Items" but I get the following message:

Quote:

The name "Temporary Items" is already taken, please choose a different name.

I have also Shut Down and Rebooted, but there is still no sign of the folder and I still get the same message when I try to name a new folder as "Temporary Items". I keep my trash bin empty so I can't check whether I 'accidentally dragged the folder into the trash' -- though that is really inconceivable. Does anyone have any ideas? I think the error message points to something other than user error.

Help \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I had a problem like this where Panther just decided to make a folder invisible - it's still there but I can't make it show up on the desktop. Maybe check that this hasn't happened to you ?

How do I check?

(BTW, on your website in Portfolio, Link [7] goes to the wrong site, no?

And maybe you want a capital 'e' in this (or rather a '?'):

Quote:

I am, in another incarnation, a fanatical collector and sometime dealer in antique tribal weavings. especially those of the Balouch and Turkman tribal groupings of Iran and Central Asia.

And when I view the Simply-Coaching website in Safari, the colours are reversed - the floating box is white, and there is no sign of the transparency of which you made a big deal in the blurb

Nice work. Just trying to be helpful )

So, yeah... how do I check again? Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Repair the disk in Disk utility. It may help or not but it happened to my Bro before and there were serious problems.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

I had a problem like this where Panther just decided to make a folder invisible - it's still there but I can't make it show up on the desktop. Maybe check that this hasn't happened to you ?

Yeah, I used Find to search for invisible folders and the lost file does indeed still exist where it used to, but has been hidden for no reason.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Repair the disk in Disk utility. It may help or not but it happened to my Bro before and there were serious problems.

Oh dear... \
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Download an App called TinkerTool (search for it at version tracker), it allows you to view all invisible files. It is also quite useful for getting music off of your ipod onto someone elses computer.