New feature could spur DVR and portable video players.

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sony has a new product that will record tv shows directly to a Memory Stick for playback on a Clie. Tivo already records the shows for you, you just hit a button that down samples the show to a format that is better for a small screen. The show is then copied to your memory card or iPod DV.

If this were integrated into a PVR with support for smart phones, I would jump on this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I have a clie and I already jumped on it
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm just not feeling video on anything less than a 7" screen.

Portable video is just not going to have ANYWHERE near the penetration that audio has.

If you want to revolutionize video then you must attack the home where damn near every room has a TV. Portable video will just get the gadget freaks.

Tivo has the right idea with Tivo2Go which allows you to move recorded shows around the house. Sending to a portable device in the future would be a natural extension but I doubt that portable device would be as small as a PDA or a Phone.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm just not feeling video on anything less than a 7" screen.

Portable video is just not going to have ANYWHERE near the penetration that audio has.

If you want to revolutionize video then you must attack the home where damn near every room has a TV. Portable video will just get the gadget freaks.

Tivo has the right idea with Tivo2Go which allows you to move recorded shows around the house. Sending to a portable device in the future would be a natural extension but I doubt that portable device would be as small as a PDA or a Phone.

I agree that I wouldn't want to watch movies on such a small screen, but tv would be fine. I've got a half hour commute on the subway each day. I could bang out a few South Park episodes or an entire West Wing episode. If this wasn't a closed (read Sony) system I would be all over it.