Oscars

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Oh sweet, they busted out the old Spiderman cartoon theme for Tobey Mcguire!

Copolla's "Family business" line was good, too!

Jeff
  • Reply 42 of 92
    Good job for Sophia for the screenplay award! This film is going to haunt her for a few years if she's not careful....hope she busts out with something new very soon.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    Awww, jeez, another weepy chick. How would you like to be an average looking actress right now? 3 straight years some babe got a great role that actually called for a less good looking person and won the Oscar for it.

J
  • Reply 44 of 92
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If you're an actress and you want to win an Oscar you have to either go fat or get ugly.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

If you're an actress and you want to win an Oscar you have to either go fat or get ugly.

Do all 4,955 of your posts consist of idiotic, one-sentence quips?
  • Reply 46 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    MURRAY WAS ROBBED!

****ing Sean Penn...
  • Reply 47 of 92
    gee i wonder what will win best film?
  • Reply 48 of 92
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Well, I got everything right except Best Actor. Bill was robbed.
  • Reply 49 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No but yours seem too. Why don't you just add me to your ignore list and such the **** up?
  • Reply 50 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I am disgusted! SEAN PENN! WHAT THE HELL!
  • Reply 51 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

2001 Halle Barry:

Unglam the makeup, throw on some crappy clothes, win

2002 Nicole Kidman:

Prosthetic nose, win

2003 Charlize Theron:

Get fat, prosthetic ugliness, win

I'm not saying the performances weren't good, but a trend's a trend.

J
  • Reply 52 of 92
    Unfortunately I haven't seen most of these movies so I just don't know if anyone was robbed.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

What you're actually saying (by ignoring the fact that many, many recent Oscars have gone to the physically beautiful of questionable acting talent) is that you don't think fat, old or so-called "ugly" girls should win at all.

No. What I'm saying is that when a hollywood actress gains weight or uglies herself up for a part she instantly gains credibility as a "serious" actress. Going ugly or fat for a part is seen as being to "brave". Look all the "respect" Gwyneth Paltrow got for putting on the fat suit for shallow hal. Or what's her name in The Hours. Look at all the nominees this year?

But thanks for being obtuse and putting words in my mouth.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    you mean if gwyneth would have actually gained the weight for shallow hal she'd have been nominated?
  • Reply 55 of 92
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

How can a film which uses a trilogy as an integral part of its story win on its own? If the film doesn't stand on its own, I don't believe it should be eligible for a "best picture" nomination.

Same here. Its nice they made a movie and all, but it is only 1/3 of a complete plot. There were some good movies that never had a chance because they were competing with LoTR-RotK. I would have liked them to announced second place too.

LoTR-RotK is not a complete story. With that in mind, I don't think they should have gotten all the recognition they did. Good actors and CG are fine, but defiantly not the last category. Trilogies should not be nominated for it.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Me after LotR wins first two Oscars... "No way they could go eleven for eleven...could they?"

Me after nine out of eleven... "****."

I used LotR above, because RotK alone could not have won eleven out of eleven.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    i think it won because "hollywood" was waiting to see if they could pull it off.

they did.

it was an unprecedented achievement in movie making, if it would have bombed it would have taken new line down.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Two disappointments... Rene Zellwegger winning and Bill Murray not.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

Two disappointments... Rene Zellwegger winning and Bill Murray not.

rene won because she uglied it up in cold mountain, plus she was gaining weight for bridget 2 so she was a shoo-in!
  • Reply 60 of 92
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

MURRAY WAS ROBBED!

****ing Sean Penn...

did anyone catch murray's face?

he looked like someone punched him in the gut.

murray should have gotten it.