Oscars

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    My vote's for Billy Murray as well.

Sean Penn did do a good job in a movie that was well-acted, but bleak.

I go to the movies to find hope and happiness.

It won't matter how many people tell Bill Murray that he should have won, this will sting for a long time.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    And if you have a dopey accent you win.

Rene... dopey southern accent

Sean... dopey Mass. accent

Charlize... dopey southern accent

Tim... dopey Mass. accent

Maybe Bill should of just done the Caddyshack accent all throughout Lost in Translation.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh yea. Four more words: COMB YOUR ^%#(*@ HAIR!

Where do you think you are, the city park? I know the words "Hollywood" and "standards" shouldn't be used in the sam esentence, but try people, TRY!
  • Reply 64 of 92
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

And if you have a dopey accent you win.

Rene... dopey southern accent

Sean... dopey Mass. accent

Charlize... dopey southern accent

Tim... dopey Mass. accent

Maybe Bill should of just done the Caddyshack accent all throughout Lost in Translation.

it's ACTING!!!!

(meant to be spoken with jon lovitz and john lithgow intent)
  • Reply 65 of 92
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Sean Penn is a self-important shitbag, I cannot stand that guy. He does not have 1/10th the intelligence he fancies, and I think he is well aware of it when there is not a script in front of him. That acceptance speech was just painful. "uh.... *crickets*...."
  • Reply 66 of 92
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

it's ACTING!!!!

(meant to be spoken with jon lovitz and john lithgow intent)

"BRILLIANT!!!!"

J
  • Reply 67 of 92
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Sean Penn is a self-important shitbag, I cannot stand that guy. He does not have 1/10th the intelligence he fancies, and I think he is well aware of it when there is not a script in front of him. That acceptance speech was just painful. "uh.... *crickets*...."

Yeah, as opposed to all the selfless celebrities out there. I see the contrast.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

LOL i nominate jack black will ferrel for best song!!!!

I agree... Will Ferrel is the man with the humor right now. I laugh everytime I see him doing comedy. Also, ROTK sweeping with all 11! That is crazy. I thought the whole trilogy was really boring. Granted some of the shots were pretty "cinematic", if you will, but other than that and the fighting.... blah. and movies are judged by their theatrical release version, so trying to justify their greatness on DVD extended versions is dumb. I really don't think LOTR deserves all the hype. Oh well, i am still buying the DVD though, (just to have all three for a collection, because of the hype)
  • Reply 69 of 92
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Why would you buy them if you didn't like the movies? The "collector's value" of them is pitiful - hardly an investment. I don't understand the criticism coupled with the purchase. I sure wouldn't buy DVDs of a film series that didn't hold my interest.

Anyway, now that they're the champs look for an avalanche of "LotR Haters" to emerge. Whatever.

All I know is, the more distance I get between me and "Mystic River", the more I dislike the story (not the film).
  • Reply 70 of 92
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I personally liked the LOTR movies, but I am kind of disappointed that it won 11 Oscars. Really... it didn't deserve ALL of those. I was glad that, for once, Best Picture went to a non-drama, but still. I also am afraid that there will now be an influx of LOTR-haters because of this.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Its nice they made a movie and all, but it is only 1/3 of a complete plot.

LoTR-RotK is not a complete story.

i disagree. while there was an overall plot that was being told, rotk still has its own plot, and, other than all the endings, i believe it was by far the best of the trilogy. you certainly wouldnt say that star wars should have been disqualified because it was a trilogy. and besides, its nice to finally have 3 movies that work well together and arent stupid, so props to the academy for recognizing that.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    I think it was the entire achievement, it was a bold reach, and they pulled it off.

however some well deserving people got lost in the landslide.

i think i'm unbiased, i just went to accompany my wife, who is a huge LOtR

fan, or Vigo Mortensen fan can't tell which.

First one i liked, second one was dreadful (plot was convoluted the editing during the battle scenes seemed designed to hide unfinished or bad special effects) third was great even with the horrific ending.

it wasn't the best movie this year taken individually, but looking at it as a whole it deserved some sort of recognition.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

May I just say, in regards to Jamie Lee Curtis.........purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

She's still got it.

Ahhhhh don't you mean "He's still got it" ?

• Reply 74 of 92
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Were the folks at my party the only ones put off by Jamie Lee Curtis' sagging, liverspotted breasts that were so bad they immediately panned into a close shot?

Kirk
  • Reply 75 of 92
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Were the folks at my party the only ones put off by Jamie Lee Curtis' sagging, liverspotted breasts that were so bad they immediately panned into a close shot?

Kirk

I remarked that they didn't look "healthy" to my wife, who immediately responded that "they're real."

I should admit, though, that JLC has been remarkable lately about dispelling myths about women's bodies.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 76 of 92
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

Kirk

She was going for next year's Oscar.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Bill Murray didn't act . . he played himself toned down with age . . .

Sure he was good and he was by far the best part of that movie, but it wasn't really 'the Best' . . . and that is what an Oscar is supposed to be

And B Crystak shouldn't not have said anything after his loss that was cheap and semi-humiliating

Sean Penn ACTED and has had a long carreer of neglected very strong acting roles . .. he is really a great actor and deserves this award
  • Reply 78 of 92
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Bill has had a great career, Groundhog Day is magical. I wish Bill would have won, Lost in Translation was the quintessence of Bill Murray. His Oscar was Lost in Admiration for Sean Penn, I think the award was given to him just to keep him in the business and keep him happy/quiet.

I only hope Murray comes back with something even better.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    What you all may not know is that Bill Murray is not a well-liked man. He's a prima donna and known as something of an asshole, which hurts his chances. He's feuded off and on with just about everyone he's ever worked with, and has burned perhaps too many bridges to get the Oscar.

I would have voted for him, though.

Kirk
  • Reply 80 of 92
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    But that is not what the Oscars are about.\ I hope whatever happened backstage or personal dislike didn't influence the judges decisions. You could have some incredible actor withe a hair-trgger temper, but the judges still have to base their decision on the on-screen acting talent. If the director can't stand the actor just fire & replace them.