iDeas for replaceing ethernet port on orig. iMac? (233)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a turquoise iMac, Rev. a for 30$ at a thrift store. Added ram and installed Panther and it runs great...well runs okay, not like my PB. The ethernet port won't recognize anything and I was wondering if there is a cheap way to fix or test it my self. I don't feel like spending $75 bucks+ to fix it, or just have it looked at. Any ideas will help. Thanks!

_thedustin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Find a USB->Ethernet adaptor that had MacOS X drivers. This should cost about $40.

Replacing the motherboard to fix the built in port will cost > $200 (probably significantly more)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Find a USB->Ethernet adaptor that had MacOS X drivers. This should cost about $40.

Replacing the motherboard to fix the built in port will cost > $200 (probably significantly more)

Will do!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Find a USB->Ethernet adaptor that had MacOS X drivers.

Having trouble finding one, anyone know where? I can find plenty of wireless adapters, but I won't be using it wireless.

_thedustin
  • Reply 5 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If you aren't afraid of replacing the logic board, they can be acquired from eBay for (much) less than $50. On the revision A iMacs, it's quite easy as the guts of the iMac come out quite easily.

Edit: 1000th post.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

If you aren't afraid of replacing the logic board, they can be acquired from eBay.

I would be worried to replace it because this seems to run great. I will figure it out, I will try those adapters.