Will Apple iPod earbuds work with iBooks?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I need a decent pair of earbuds for my iBook (iTunes, etc).

Will the Apple earbuds designed for the iPod work with the iBook's headphone I/O?

Will the newer Apple earbuds (with the remote/mute) work with iTunes? Can I "control" iTunes on my iBook via the earbud's remote?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The earbuds are just the headphones included with the iPod. They work like any other pair of headphones, so yes, you can use them with an iBook or any other Mac. Of course, they're not worth the $40 Apple charges - for that much, you can get a MUCH better pair.

The remote will not work with anything other than the iPod. It has an extra connector that is only on the iPod. And it's not attached to the iPod earbuds.

If you don't mind a very short cord (about 3 feet), my recommendation would be the Sennheiser MX500s. They aren't awesome, but they're pretty good, they come with a very handy wind-up storage case, they have an onboard volume control, and they cost just $15.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Thanks. I just wanted to get confirmation that Apple didnt add a propriatary ring to the 1/4" jack. You never know with Apple. (Think ADC, etc) :0)

I will check out the MX500's, thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    actually.. i can't get mine to work with anything accept my iPod and my Macs... radio.. CD player.. all don't work. Power Mac and iMac work great.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    They work on my iBook the same as my iPod.

Which is bad, because they are having real problems (weird distortion) and I'm going to have to get some new ones