TS Apple Remote Desktop 2 info

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/remotedesktop2.html

Quote:

Apple is developing a major upgrade to Remote Desktop, the company's desktop management and screen-sharing software, Think Secret has learned. Sources said Apple Remote Desktop 2 will boast standards-based reporting, task scheduling, VNC support, and other new features...

Does ARD have VNC support now?

Ooops they pretty much answered with

Quote:

The screen sharing feature in Apple Remote Desktop will use the Virtual Network Computing protocol in Version 2, sources said. The open-source VNC standard will deliver a number of enhancements, including compatibility with other VNC installations on other platforms. It will also offer administrators new options for observing screens.

I think ARD is becoming a tool that that even non business users could use. I'd love to see some sort of WAN features. The goal for some how always been having the ability to log into a family members Mac and make sure it's running ok without the need to drive onsite. Anyone here using ARD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Anyone here using ARD?

I wish. Too pricey for me though.

I'd use it to access my 3 Macs. I like ARD better than merely logging in through filesharing.

I wish there was a $199 5-Client Home Edition.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I wish. Too pricey for me though.

I'd use it to access my 3 Macs. I like ARD better than merely logging in through filesharing.

I wish there was a $199 5-Client Home Edition.

Here's to hoping Apple catches a rash of pure altruism and tosses it into OSX Server 10.4 and does indeed create a version for home users.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    For small shops look into OSXVNC - it works well with any platform's VNC client.

Nice to see Apple recognizing the work of the many, many developers working on PostgreSQL! The team there is excellent and always has done great work in the Mac arena.

Thanks Tom, Bruce and others working on the PG ports!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    http://www.macosrumors.com/

Quote:

Apple Remote Desktop 2.0 to be integrated into 10.4's Mac OS X Server Admin Tools: Several reports making their way around the Mac Web have already detailed some of the great new features in ARD2 itself, but one report we've received today appears to offer up the unique angle of ARD 2.0 as part of the next-generation Mac OS X Server Admin Tools. The picture being painted is one of consolidated Software Update management tools, remote system controls, and most particularly, administration of large numbers of servers in real-time.

This would do good things for 10.4 Server upgrades. I've always thought that Apple should just include ARD in Server since it offers so much potential for the small biz or Education sector.