What a tasty tid-bit...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Reuters is reporting that IBM has announced a new process.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4593075

""NEW YORK (Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp. said it reached a scientific milestone toward the creation of low-cost electronic circuits for use in items such as smart cards.

It said in a statement on Wednesday its researchers have developed a process to make thin films of semiconductor materials that let electrical charges to move through them about 10 times more easily than previously recorded using a process called spin coating.

In spin coating, drops of a liquid solution are placed on a spinning platter that spreads the liquid uniformly over a surface, creating a film. IBM said its researchers developed a way to dissolve higher performing semiconducting materials than ever before into the liquid.

The resulting films could eventually be used to make circuitry for cheap flexible displays, smart cards, sensors for solar cells or electronics coated onto molded or plastic shapes, it said.""

Think of the possibilities for Apple to incorporate this into their product lines.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    None....?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

None....?

How is that? Of course there are possibilities, but something like that will take years to get here. I'll happen eventually though.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

I'll happen eventually though.

Will you? Will you really?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

he's a happenin' dude
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Awwwww crap...I thought I had already established that I can't type (search for my posts, I don't do so hot all the time...lots of edits) What I meant to say was: It'll happen eventually.

• Reply 6 of 7
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Additional information on this technology.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994791

""Rocket fuel boosts speed of transistors

18:00_17_March_04

NewScientist.com news service

Rocket fuel can significantly boost the speed of transistors, researchers have discovered.

The fuel, hydrazine, has turned out to be ideal in helping to make faster thin-film transistors, a crucial component of liquid crystal displays. What is more, it does so in a novel "wet" manufacturing process that should lend itself to cheaper mass production of the components.

Each pixel of an LCD is switched on and off by a thin-film transistor on the back of the display. These transistors are built up from fine layers of semiconductors deposited on a silicon substrate.

But if the semiconductor can be deposited as a liquid blob and smeared outwards by spinning the substrate like a high-speed record turntable, displays could plummet in price. Until now, however, transistors made this way have been too slow to drive liquid crystal displays.

Now David Mitzi and colleagues at IBM's T J Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, New York, have managed to create fast thin-film transistors this way. The key was the discovery that the semiconductor tin disulphide, which is insoluble in most liquids, can be dissolved in hydrazine if sulphur is added to the mix.

By applying the solution to a silicon substrate and spinning it they were able to create a coating that left a layer of tin disulphide just five nanometres thick when heated.

When laced with electron-rich and electron-poor "dopants" to turn the semiconductor into a transistor, the device was 10 times better at carrying electric charge than previous transistors.

"It is certainly a step forward," says Mercouri Kanatzidiz, at Michigan State University. "They have demonstrated some very clever chemistry." He predicts that "wet" manufacture could become the method of choice for mass-producing thin-film transistors.

Journal reference: Nature (vol 428, p 299)""

Now who doesn't want a big cheap High quality monitor on the cheap?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    LCDs? Pfft...they are on the way out. OLEDs are on their way in now. And who wants rocket fuel inside their monitor that could start throwing sparks (for one reason or another). Sounds like an accident waiting to happen there.