good jam bands

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:

Most deffanatly DMB (notice my handle, gotta give props to the boys). Phish, The Dead (who I did not have the pleasure of seeing), Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Not too many people are familiar with the Flecktones...but wow, they put on one heck of a show. Blues Traveler gets the job done too.

I love the jam bands, it takes a much better musician to jam for 25 minutes than it does to play 3 power chords for a minute and a half.

You only know Bela Fleck because he played with Dave. Dave Matthews Band sucks. They had their moment.... it has been long passed. Carter Beauford is the best musician in the band. Everyone else is mediocre at best. Dave was much better on the friends tour than with his own band.

Dave Matthews Band IS a jam band that plays 3 chords for 25 minutes and plays the same set and the same songs the same way night after night to thousands of abecrombie and fitch fanboys.

Gov't Mule is the best jam band out there right now and hasn't even been mentioned here. There's a reason they were practically the house band at the Jammy's this year.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I can never describe jam bands well...all the bands I gave...some of them are jam bands, but mostly I just listed the groups that are listened to by jam band loving folk. If you need me to specify what is what, I'll be glad to, just to get the confusion out of the way.

Ever see videos of those hippie girls twirling as their dance technique? It's really funny, and I don't think most people know what I mean, but is really is the best way to describe it...or the most fun way I should say.

The best way like said already is probably just bands that like to go out and jam, go off on tangents of their music and just have fun and get creative.

It's really neat when groups are jamming and then out of nowhere turn it into a theme song or something widely known and recognized...like say the batman theme...and then go back into their music. I don't really know how they do that in such unison...do they have it planned or how can they just pick up on what the others are going to do so quickly?!
  • Reply 23 of 46
    n2nrnn2nrn Posts: 20member
    And I forgot Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

Talented bunch to say the least.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Built to Spill - not a "jam" band in the Widespread Panic/GD/Phish sense of the word, but they can jam with the best of 'em. Cortez the Killer from their live cd (a Neil Young cover) is freakin' awesome.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DoTheEvolution

You only know Bela Fleck because he played with Dave. Dave Matthews Band sucks. They had their moment.... it has been long passed. Carter Beauford is the best musician in the band. Everyone else is mediocre at best. Dave was much better on the friends tour than with his own band.

Dave Matthews Band IS a jam band that plays 3 chords for 25 minutes and plays the same set and the same songs the same way night after night to thousands of abecrombie and fitch fanboys.

Gov't Mule is the best jam band out there right now and hasn't even been mentioned here. There's a reason they were practically the house band at the Jammy's this year.

Okay, let's get things straight here. I've been listening to Bela longer than I've been listening to DMB. DMB does not suck, maybe if you would take time to listen to more than one song of theirs than you would know. Carter is the best musician in the band, but the others are amazing as well. Dave is one of the best rhythm guitarists in the country, Stefan is just all around awesome, LeRoi can solo like no one's business, and Boyd...wow. The whole band is just awesome, you have the right to say you don't enjoy their music, but insulting their musicianship is just wrong.

And I'm no A&F fanboy...I've been to 18 DMB shows, I'm hardcore.

Gov't Mule is good, not my favorite, but good.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Okay, let's get things straight here. I've been listening to Bela longer than I've been listening to DMB. DMB does not suck, maybe if you would take time to listen to more than one song of theirs than you would know. Carter is the best musician in the band, but the others are amazing as well. Dave is one of the best rhythm guitarists in the country, Stefan is just all around awesome, LeRoi can solo like no one's business, and Boyd...wow. The whole band is just awesome, you have the right to say you don't enjoy their music, but insulting their musicianship is just wrong.

And I'm no A&F fanboy...I've been to 18 DMB shows, I'm hardcore.

Gov't Mule is good, not my favorite, but good.

I've been to 12..... ur point? you spent 50 dollars a pop 6 more times than me to see the same set?

Dave is a good acoustic guitarist. not one of the best. stefan is nothing at all special. leroi is nothing special and boyd..... you've got to be kidding me.... he's the weakest link in the band. the problem is dave fanboys have never heard anyone else play the fiddle...... Larry Campbell plays better fiddle than him and he never even plays fiddle with Dylan. Eileen Ivers blows the shit out of Boyd. Boyd is NOT good.

they are poor musicians who have become an annual gathering of preppie teens to smoke pot and get drunk while paying too much to see a stadium show.

Gov't Mule is "good" but dave matthews band is awesome? Watch the Central Park DVD. Warren ****ing stole the stage without even trying. Band couldn't even keep up.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    who cares! people have different opinions! stop being dumbasses
  • Reply 28 of 46
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Quote:

stefan is nothing at all special

??????????
  • Reply 29 of 46
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Robert Randolph & the Family Band

now that's some good stuff
  • Reply 30 of 46
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

now that's some good stuff [/B]

YEP

Best new band in a long time.

That's what makes a jamband - music you can FEEL.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick1138

??????????

what.....

go out and buy the deepest end. listen and watch those bassists.... then go and listen to steffan.... he's nothing extraordinary. good, but nothing special.

Quote:

TigerWoods99

now that's some good stuf

damn straight.

he's da shit
  • Reply 32 of 46
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    I prefer to define the Jamband genre as bands who can really kick it live... whose live performances are better than their studio CDs. Another of the criteria for a good jamband is that they play different setlists from night to night.. this applies to some but not all. But the common denominator is the fact that you must see a jamband live to truly appreciate them. A live jamband performance is an order of magnitude closer to the spirit of the music than the best live CD you will ever hear.

My favorite jambands right now would be The Radiators and Gov't Mule. The last Gov't Mule show I saw, was something they called The Deepest End ... possibly the ultimate concert ever. The entire show takes up 5 CDs...

The Radiators are a unique entry in the Jamband category. They've been playing together for 26 years, longer than any other band in the category other than the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers (and longer than both of those if you count the fact that they still have all their founding members).

They're often called the best bar band ever, because they play in venues of 500 people or less, and you can experience the music in a way that you never will in a show with thousands or tens of thousands of other fans. They've been called the best-kept secret in rock music by Rolling Stone (1987), and the best live band ever by thousands of their hardcore fans.

See them when they visit your town (over 100 tour dates a year) and you'll thank me. Download a show or two and give a listen.. it's free, and free to share, just don't ever try to sell anyone a CD.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

YEP

Best new band in a long time.

That's what makes a jamband - music you can FEEL.

That's what makes hip hop so appealing to me personally. I feel it, in a way I don't feel any other music.

The robert randolph family band is excellent, I really dig 'em.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

That's what makes hip hop so appealing to me personally. I feel it, in a way I don't feel any other music.

The robert randolph family band is excellent, I really dig 'em.

Different type of feel. Mellow dancing to the groove of the music is feeling jam bands. You guys have screwed me up, I keep putting Jam Band like it needs to be capitalized and going back and changing it.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Oysterhead and the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade are two others, both headed by les claypool.

coincidentally, I saw primus not too long ago, they've really become a jam band.

Yeaaah. Saw Flying Frog Brigade and they were awesome. Have two live recordings. Holy Makerel and Oysterhead. He also jammed with Buckethead (a hopelessly underated guitarist).

I have a Bonnaroo jam from 2001 (?) that runs about 1 and a half hours long too.

Also have a G Love show in 2000 that makes Emenem seem tame and weak...as he is anyway (for a white rapper).

Old school jam bands?

Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, ELP, Allman Brothers Band, Traffic, The Who, Gentle Giant and many more...The Sensational Alex Harvey Band rocked live...

oops. forgot my "cig"
  • Reply 36 of 46
    I am a Parliament-Funkadelic fanatic of many years standing.

I've met George Clinton twice now and he doesn't disappoint. The first time I met him was in a radio station; he was wearing short trousers. He made a funny joke and I put my hand on his bare leg as if to say "that's funny."

He thought I was making a pass at him.

The second time, thank all the prophets, he had forgotten my face.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Oh yeah, jam bands.

This is the best band on the planet.I suppose you'd call them a 'jam band' because they make spontaneous music, but as it also happens to be some of the most beautiful music you'll ever hear we shouldn't tar them with the 'jam band' brush.

Please buy their music.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Another take on the idea:

People Like Us

The Tape Beatles

Negativeland (live radio shows!)

Crash Worship --most intense concert experience that you will EVER experience!!

Camper Van Beethoven in Concert

Early - Dream Syndicate (live concerts)

Popul Vuh

(Not so good) Acid Mothers Temple

Faust

Can

Zappa (especially the guitar albums!!)

Neil Young with Crazy Horse!

Sonic Youth (they had the potential . .. but I don't think they really improvise beyond the making of the albums . . .)

Flipper

But I used to always be upset that good bands never jammed while playing live . . After I started listening to mid seventies and late sixties Jazz, as well as improvising in noise bands and drumming situations, I started to appreciate improvisation and wanted to see other great musicians flow in that groove . . . many are simply incapable though . . .

I saw the Dead many times and wanted other bands that I loved to Jam as well . . . like Rain Parade or Sonic Youth or the Minutemen . . .
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

But I used to always be upset that good bands never jammed while playing live . . After I started listening to mid seventies and late sixties Jazz, as well as improvising in noise bands and drumming situations, I started to appreciate improvisation and wanted to see other great musicians flow in that groove . . . many are simply incapable though . . .

What are you talking about? They almost ALWAYS Jam.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

What are you talking about? They almost ALWAYS Jam.

I meant to say that when I saw bands whose albums I liked they often did not jam . . . didn't improvise like the GDead or like teh jazz that I was listening to . . . I wanted to hear a more hard eged post-punk form of jamming (back when I cared about this stuff) and it took me going over to 80s NYC style jazz/punk/fusion and jazz to find it . . .

I liked the GDead but I got tired of how basic the improv was . . . it was always over three chord progressions . . . it was always within a certain boundary of experimentation etc etc

and what youngsters are calling 'jam bands' these days are basically post GDead rock bands with some show-off musicians (Phish . . . who's albums I find to be surprisingly terrible!) . .. and all of the dirt taken out of it (DMB) . . . I like it when the musicians push themselves to the boundaries of what they can do, AND, to what music is . . . . then it gets interesting.