Ipod 4 Mockup

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    but do you really want to watch video on a 2" screen? That is what I don't get about a video ipod. It is something to just say: look how cool I am. I have a pocket pc, and I remember when the first color ones came out people had movie trailers on it. It was a show off thing, not soething anyone actually wants. Just my 2 cents, I would never buy a video pod. And it is way too hard to extract the video from your movies anyway. But a video pod that connects to your tv (tv-out) might be pretty cool.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by jade

but do you really want to watch video on a 2" screen? That is what I don't get about a video ipod. It is something to just say: look how cool I am. I have a pocket pc, and I remember when the first color ones came out people had movie trailers on it. It was a show off thing, not soething anyone actually wants. Just my 2 cents, I would never buy a video pod. And it is way too hard to extract the video from your movies anyway. But a video pod that connects to your tv (tv-out) might be pretty cool.

I completely agree !

Thats why this mock up does not have video.

I do enjoy the whole surface color screen though.

It would be cool to have 3 different USEFULL gadgets at the click of a scrolwheel !.

I do find the GPS MAP and routing the killer app for PDAs and PocketPCS.

But as usual they are poorly implemented.

That's why an Apple device of this nature would be cool.

The phone is the last of my wants !
  • Reply 23 of 43
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I can think of lots of uses for a personal video player. You can pop it into an inMotion speaker and share the sound. You can watch movies and videos in the waiting room. You can have your own personal movie player in your dorm. You can download music videos and play them on your iPod AV. You can transfer your digital images from your camera to your iPod AV, make a slide show, and choose the music you want to play with it. You can watch your personal videos on a plane or train trip.

Pop this into a dock that's plugged into your TV and you can play your slide shows and movies. Plug your DV camcorder into the iPod AV using FireWire and record video straight to the HD. Makes a great traveling companion. It could hold thousands of high quality photos and hours of video.

Consider the competition: Microsoft "iPod Killer"
  • Reply 24 of 43
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

I completely agree !

Thats why this mock up does not have video.

I do enjoy the whole surface color screen though.

It would be cool to have 3 different USEFULL gadgets at the click of a scrolwheel !.

I do find the GPS MAP and routing the killer app for PDAs and PocketPCS.

But as usual they are poorly implemented.

That's why an Apple device of this nature would be cool.

The phone is the last of my wants !

Nice direction to go "no video." Save the money on graphic chips and go after those "killer apps"!!!!

I have liked the idea of the whole surface as touchscreen that morphs to different form/functions like the Star Trek Next Gen control panels. Materials and plastics are the problem though and I think quite a ways off.

PS I'm not into 2" screens either, but note to those who hate them....it doesn't have to be 2 inches. And note to those who just "can't understand how anyone would watch a small screen" or "there is no pent up demand" ... why don't you just give it a rest and let people think outside the box, okay?

Oh, I also like your transparent menus!!!! Very QExtreme and very Apple-like!!!!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 43
    thatguythatguy Posts: 18member
    Why not take a page from cellphone designers? Leave the outside of the current iPod as is, save for adopting the miniPod's wheel with integrated buttons. The screen should be left as is. For all intents and purposes, this maintains the useability of the current design for playing MP3s.

The color screen is inside the iPod. a very solid, secure hinge/latch assembly (approximately where the current iPod transitions from plastic to metal) is opened to reveal a horizontally laid out, full width, 16x9 color screen, opposed by a classic iPod wheel/button array on the other open face of the device.

The challenge here is that the hinge/latch assembly must be VERY, VERY solid. Apple doesn't want to turn this into a flimsy device. I understand the additional expense of this method, but I would position this device at the high end of the iPod range anyways, leaving the lower end to mp3 only devices (eventually only in the iPod mini form factor).

Anyone with photoshop skills want to take a shot at mocking this up?
  • Reply 26 of 43
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i predict it will have an aluminum case like the mini...
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

i predict it will have an aluminum case like the mini...

Minor tweaks added. I like the idea more and more...
  • Reply 28 of 43
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThatGuy

<snip> The color screen is inside the iPod. a very solid, secure hinge/latch assembly (approximately where the current iPod transitions from plastic to metal) is opened to reveal a horizontally laid out, full width, 16x9 color screen, opposed by a classic iPod wheel/button array on the other open face of the device.

The challenge here is that the hinge/latch assembly must be VERY, VERY solid. Apple doesn't want to turn this into a flimsy device. I understand the additional expense of this method, but I would position this device at the high end of the iPod range anyways, leaving the lower end to mp3 only devices (eventually only in the iPod mini form factor).

Anyone with photoshop skills want to take a shot at mocking this up?

Good idea. Something like this?

• Reply 29 of 43
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Hmmm ... looks like I may have a warm bowl of crow to eat soon if AI's rumor post has any truth to it. Looks like it may be weeks to 4G after all...
  • Reply 30 of 43
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

Good idea. Something like this?

That's definitely more usable than a 2" screen and more along the lines of what a personal video device needs to be.

It also needs to be Ive-d a bit, but nice mockup!
  • Reply 31 of 43
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Um, no. There is just no way a person could use it with one hand in landscape mode (the iPod's design is a success for a reason). Too cumbersome. Besides, what digital camera takes 16:9 aspect pictures?

Screed
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

that actually looks pretty sick
  • Reply 33 of 43
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwind212

Sick in a good way, or did you mean slick?
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Sick in a good way, or did you mean slick?

3D detail coming.

Small Teaser
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwind212

I agree, that is so sick. I would love to get my hands on one of those.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

3D detail coming.

Small Teaser

Small Teaser with close up -1.3 Megs-
  • Reply 37 of 43
    mike peelmike peel Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Um, no. There is just no way a person could use it with one hand in landscape mode (the iPod's design is a success for a reason).

Just as a thought (or two): those flip-up mobiles have two screens; one inside, one outside. And for control: there's a handy thing called a "remote" that should do the job...

However, I think it's more likely that the screen would be on the outside, as in nsousansousa's mockup. Good work, BTW, but methinks some sort of switching mechanism would work better than buttons on top. Something like the hold switch on the current pods, but able to go into more positions.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Small Teaser with close up -1.3 Megs-

And another one...

Movie sound compressed small cut
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Peel

Just as a thought (or two): those flip-up mobiles have two screens; one inside, one outside. And for control: there's a handy thing called a "remote" that should do the job...

However, I think it's more likely that the screen would be on the outside, as in nsousansousa's mockup. Good work, BTW, but methinks some sort of switching mechanism would work better than buttons on top. Something like the hold switch on the current pods, but able to go into more positions.

I agree . The top buttons are very crude and trash the Ipod "clean" look.

Take a look at the movie at the top of this post and tell me what you think.

Regards from Portugal

PS: I now have a 7 Meg/ 1 m movie that I cannot upload to my sleazy ISP.

Offers anyone ? :-)
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

I agree . The top buttons are very crude and trash the Ipod "clean" look.

Take a look at the movie at the top of this post and tell me what you think.

Regards from Portugal

PS: I now have a 7 Meg/ 1 m movie that I cannot upload to my sleazy ISP.

Offers anyone ? :-)

The buttons were added and here is the final movie ...although small.

Regards

Complete Movie