iTunes Exclusive (Oh My God Say It Ain't So!)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    *ahem*

• Reply 22 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

So my question to you all is:

Would you mock/laugh/look down on him as much as you do if he were white caucasian?

EDIT: On second though, he wouldn't even be doing this if he was white. It's like the whole asian-karaoke thing I think. A white guy doing this wouldn't be as "cute" or whatever. heh Take that however you want I guess...

He could sell a ton of Karaoke machines. Dude is gonna make a mint.

• Reply 23 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Would you mock/laugh/look down on him as much as you do if he were white caucasian?

The guy's race/ethnicity never occured to me until this post actually.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    i bought "rocket man"

i hope he makes a fortune. he has an implacable spirit.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

I think his accent has a lot to do with it... but more importantly, it was how earnest he was in his initial appearance on Amelican Idor... *cough*... American Idol. I don't think anyone should perpetuate untrue stereotypes, but this guy fits the stereotype for an Asian college student so perfectly that it's pretty funny.

Besides, although we think his singing is awful, I think a lot of us here look down on the people who enjoy his singing, rather than William himself. Even though he's a terrible singer, I think it's amazing that he's managed to do so well with so little talent. Definitely shows his resourcefulness.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Yes, I most certainly would. I do it all the time: Justin Timberlake, Eminem, Michael Jackson, etc.

I doubt anyone here even considered ethnicity until you - in a move straight from the AppleOutsider playbook, section 14 - brought it up. Nice work!
  • Reply 27 of 43
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I couldn't care less that he is putting out music. I just hope he hasn't been bamboozled into a record contract that he's got no business being in. Those things can be vicious. If he's just putting out digital tunes, I'd imagine the costs will be significantly less and he won't be bleeding money too badly.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I doubt anyone here even considered ethnicity until you - in a move straight from the AppleOutsider playbook, section 14 - brought it up. Nice work!

Sorry, what is the playbook section 14?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Duck, or that post is going to smash you in the face.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Duck, or that post is going to smash you in the face.

huh?

no, sorry I really don't understand what you're talking about
  • Reply 31 of 43
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

huh?

no, sorry I really don't understand what you're talking about

scates was being facetious. He was saying that you did the typical AO thing of bringing race/ethnicity when it really isn't relevant - something common in AO. A playbook is just a reference to sports and typical plays a team runs.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What torifile said. All in good fun, stevegongrui. I wasn't trying to come across jerky, just jabbing you a bit (and taking a much-deserved shot at AO).

• Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What torifile said. All in good fun, stevegongrui. I wasn't trying to come across jerky, just jabbing you a bit (and taking a much-deserved shot at AO).

Ok, Cool.

Well I tend to bring ethnicity into lots of things because I'm rather intrigued by such issues, myself being Chinese and having grown up in Italy and now studying in the US.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crawlingparanoia

*ahem*

I SEE IT BUT I DON'T BELIVE IT
  • Reply 35 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    His race *is* relevant.

His FOBbishness is what makes him so charming. But like I said, there's a high chance of it being an exaggerated portrayal on his own part. I don't know. The dude's a genius.

stevegongrui, I don't think you understand this is exactly what William Hung wants. He wants you to laugh at him. He wants you to think his music is so hilariously bad that you might buy it just to laugh at.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    After hearing these cuts, i am thinking of produsing a record, the only 2 problems:

1 how to mic the shower

2: how to tweak a noise gate to filter out the running water

• Reply 37 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

I SEE IT BUT I DON'T BELIVE IT

She Bangs is at #13 overall today, and not just in the Pop section.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

She Bangs is at #13 overall today, and not just in the Pop section.

well he had his 15 min and he didnt even have to do the preverbial oprah book plug- lucky SOB
  • Reply 39 of 43
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Frankee is even worse than William..

Go William..
  • Reply 40 of 43
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

So True, yet I am getting one of his songs (only because it is free from Pepsi) I do think it is funny, hence the purchase

How dare you waste a perfectly good soft drink on that! For shame!