Mariner Write v3.6

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone out there use Mariner Write?

How do you like it?

I have Word and was thinking of switching out of it.

How's Appleworks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I tried to switch from Word to Mariner write, unfortunately it's not totally compatible with Word docs. Also, the interface is a bit backwards, so I gave up and went back to Word.

AppleWorks is the devil.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Mariner Write seems promising but until the break the cheap carbon port look of it, I won't use it.

Today, I downloaded a preview of Abiword 2.2 (version number 2.1.1, I believe) and it seemed VERY promising. I'm keeping my eye on this program. Abiword has always been a capable replacement for Word in X11 but I would never use it because I don't want the trouble of configuring it for printers and whatnot. Now, it's almost a full-fledged OS X application. I'm looking forward to using it if it gets more stable.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    I've used Word since the old DOS days...will anything ever replace it?

Now that I think of it I think the FIRST word processing application I ever used was something called Easy Script for the Commodore 64. It was a really good app (for 1986, or was it 1987?) but since I was printing on a dot matrix printer I had nothing to show for it..hahahaha..
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Today, I downloaded a preview of Abiword 2.2 (version number 2.1.1, I believe) and it seemed VERY promising.

Wow! Indeed it is.

For those interested:

http://www.abisource.com/download/development.phtml
  • Reply 5 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Wow! Indeed it is.

For those interested:

http://www.abisource.com/download/development.phtml

It did a flawless job of opening a word document I've been working on. Granted it wasn't complicated, but I'll take what I can get. I hope the project can get some more steam (I hear there's only one guy working on it - I wish I could program so I could contribute) and get better.

Thanks for posting the link. I was lazy.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    This is great news! Abiword is my favorite word processor on Linux... I'd take it over Word any day.

Barto