Apple Delays European Debut of the iPod mini

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From Mac Daily News:

Quote:

iPod mini a smash success; Apple moves worldwide availability to July

Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 08:54 AM EST

Apple today announced that it is moving the worldwide availability of iPod mini to July due to the much stronger than expected demand in the U.S. far exceeding the total planned supply through the end of June. Apple expects to ramp up its manufacturing of the iPod mini to meet worldwide demand in the July quarter.

"The iPod mini is a huge hit with customers in the U.S. and we're sure it will be the same worldwide once we can ramp up our supply in the July quarter," said Tim Cook, Apple's executive vice president of Worldwide Sales and Operations in the press release. "The iPod mini adds further momentum to the iPod, which is already the leading digital music player in the world."

The iPod mini is the world's smallest portable music player to hold up to 1,000 CD-quality songs, and is encased in an ultra-portable, lightweight anodized aluminum body, available in five colors-silver, gold, pink, blue and green. iPod mini features the Click Wheel for effortless one-handed operation, along with the same award-winning user interface as the rest of the iPod family, and works effortlessly with Apple's iTunes, the world's number one digital music service.

Could this also be because iTMS in Europe will be on line in the last quarter of the year. Nah, probably not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I was about to post this story. It really is ****ing unbelievable how this mini has gone over with the public. I think Apple has some issues regarding its announcement strategy, they cant just pull this crap with people all the time. Now, I know its good that the iPod mini is in high demand, but people expected Xserves to be shipping last month and they expected mini's to ship worldwide in April. MAY, JUNE, then July to finally get the Europeans their iPod mini's?

Ouch.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    the guardian today reported on the ipod mini (and the reporter bought 2 through ebay)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/gad...176899,00.html

again, europe is a 2nd class citizen for apple...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Bugger, I really wanted to buy one of these, ostensibly for the wife. Her birthday is in the beginning of september, perhaps we'll have them by then.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    this is all good news though. apple is finally catching on and having to produce way more of everything than they imagined. this is what we've been waiting for forever! why should we complain about apple finally becoming a giant, mainstream company again?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Why the heck can't apple ever release something when they say they will?

It's been quite a while since they actually delivered a product when they said they would
  • Reply 6 of 15
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    They should stop underestimating themselves. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes things suprise you I guess, and I'm sure Apple just didnt think that a $250 MP3 player would be so popular.

Well, I think it is safe to say that my prediction was right from the get-go. The iPod mini will eventually be the best selling product in Apple history. Looks like its happening...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't know why the foreigners are always so surprised, or even outraged. Apple is an American company based in America. Keep it simple, stupid.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    They're apparently buying those 4GB drives as fast as Hitachi can make them, so they aren't the only people who underestimated demand.

Better a serious shortage in one market than a complete drought in all of them. I don't see the point in complaining that Apple is pushing back a release date to when they'll actually be able to offer the things in the first place.

Look on the bright side: Underproduction is the very best kind of bad news for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Underproduction is the very best kind of bad news for Apple.

thank you amorph! finally someone is seeing things the way i do.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    To be fair, it's Hitachi that's the culprit here. They are announcing today that they are going to increase production capacity so they can keep up with demand. It's the buyer's fault for wanting the product!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    groverat

I don't know why the foreigners are always so surprised, or even outraged. Apple is an American company based in America. Keep it simple

For a while I thought Microsoft were an American company, then I realised their products are only available in a Moscow flea market, surely they can't be a global company, unlike Apple??? (Note I really dislike Microsoft and been using Apple since September 14th, 1992 - to be precise)

For a mod - I would expect more respect for us Europeans...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    They delayed the international launch, not the European one.

One day you'll regret taking us for granted when we Canucks rise up and take over the world.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

They delayed the international launch, not the European one.

One day you'll regret taking us for granted when we Canucks rise up and take over the world.

Not sure if it's good or bad thing being right next door. On one hand, it's easy enough to cross over and pick one up. On the other hand, it means spending an afternoon in Buffalo.