Converting .wmv

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited March 2014
Is it possible to convert .wmv files to Mac compatible video files? Specifically I have a .WMV video file that was sent to me, and I want to edit it in Final Cut, but of course it's uncompatible right now? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Maciek

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    You could record it with Snapz Pro X.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Hmm, it's an idea, but I'd prolly lose out on some quality there. I think I will just have to go back to the source.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

Hmm, it's an idea, but I'd prolly lose out on some quality there. I think I will just have to go back to the source.

No matter what, you will loose quality any way you do it. When you start out with a compressed, and albeit horrible media file (.wmv), then there is NO WAY you are going to get anything better out of it.

You are wise in going to the original source. In the end, no matter how much more time it will take, you'll get a higher quality product in the end.

-walloo.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    H-manH-man Posts: 5member
    You can use QuickTime Player 7. Open QT 7 then drag your .wmv file over QT 7 icon in the menu and it will open as a QT movie . Click on > File > Save As
  • Reply 5 of 5
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    12 year old thread being awakened! I have doubts that the original poster will take notice, and if he/she does then it's probably a moot point. Well, while we are on the topic, VLC, the Swiss army knife of video formats, can convert to lots of different types. This info may prove useful for someone else...