iPod 40GB skin

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all,

I don't know if there were another topic like this, if yes, sorry.

I'm thinking to buy a skin for my iPod 40GB, and i want to know what's the best now.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my poor english

bye

Nico

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Your English is fine, and better than what a lot of people on the internet use (even native speakers).

Anyway, if you want iPod case advice, try going over to www.ipodlounge.com. They have forums to discuss iPod stuff like cases, and you'll probably be able to get a good answer just by browsing their forums. They also have reviews. Meanwhile, I'll chime in with my own experience.

I have gone through many cases. The first one I got was the cheapest I could find, a simple neoprene pouch. I figured I'd just use the remote to control it since I couldn't control the iPod through the case. I was wrong... I hate the remote, so I ended up having to slide the iPod out of the case to change anything, even volume. I wouldn't recommend going with a case that doesn't allow control of the iPod while in the case.

Second case I got was an XtremeMac leather case. It has a flap that folds back to reveal the iPod's face. I loved it at first, and the belt clip was very sturdy, but I didn't like the flap idea. It was a bit of a hassle to control because whenever I wanted to do something, I had to move the flap out of the way, and it would fold back, increasing the bulk. I want my iPod to be sleek and small, not huge, so I didn't like it. Also, the very tiny amount of velcro holding the flap on got worn out within a week, and the same thing happened with a replacement case they sent. Apparently an earlier version of the case used snaps instead of velcro. I wish it still did. To their credit, XtremeMac did a great job of providing service. I emailed them telling them about the velcro problem with the case, and without even my asking for one, they sent a replacement. I didn't even have to send my old one back.

Then I got an iSkin Exo2. I thought it would be perfect - protect the iPod from scratches while allowing control while in the case, and keep it small and good-looking too! Well, it wasn't the greatest either. The material is very flexible and rubbery, and dust sticks to it. I didn't mind the dust so much as I hated that it was really hard for me to put it in or take it out of my pocket, because the rubber would grab the fabric. The hard plastic screen protector is mostly good, and better than the flexible plastic ones on many cases, but it had two little black dots on it that I couldn't remove (they seemed to be inside the plastic, not on the surface). And there's a far-too-big "iSkin?" logo on the screen protector, which obscures the play/pause status indicator. After removing my iPod from it, I noticed that it wasn't perfect at protecting from scratches, either. Because it builds up so much dust, some of the dust works its way inside the case, and rubs against the iPod, scratching it. Oh, and unlike the XtremeMac case, this one has a terrible belt clip that broke pretty soon after I got it.

I've ended up saying "Screw it" and just carrying the iPod around without a case. The main disadvantage to this is that I don't get a belt clip, so I have to carry it in my pocket... but that's actually probably a good thing since it's not a great idea to be advertising your iPod right on you for all to see. I don't mind the minor scratches it gets, and the improved usability is definitely worth it. I'm enjoying my iPod again.

Hope this helps. *phew* That was a long post, I need to rest now.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    niconico Posts: 50member
    Thanks Luca,

In fact i was looking at the new iSkin Evo.

If somebody had experience with it, please post.

bye

Nico
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's the one I'm going to buy, I think...the iSkin.

What a bitchin' timely thread!!! I just wrote them this week, asking about availability on the iSkin Exo 2 (some things seemed to be short on stock (the white one) and the lady from iSkin wrote back saying "keep an eye on our site next week...that's all I can say...".

Well, I went there tonight and it looks like BAM, new cases called Evo now?

Awesome.

Yes, I hear these cases are nice.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You know, will SOMEONE explain this Lajo/iSkin thing. I think that's what is confusing many of us. I was reading some of the forums at ipodlounge.com and half the people are ragging on Lajo and the other half on iSkin and some are trashing or praising both.

What the hell? iskin.biz is different from iskin.com, but they both have similar-looking products, just different colors and whatnot. I see iskin AND xskin used.

I have a headache.

Is there a product called iSkin made by two companies? Or is one an offshoot of the other? I mean, they even share the eXo name.

What gives?

In any case (ha!), I don't think I want something covering the buttons or wheel.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Wow, interesting. Thanks for the rundown!

I figured it had to be something like that (a split involving former partners) since the product design, naming, styling, etc. were so close.

I need a drink.

Those eXo designs from Lajo have TONS of colors and only cost $17.50 (compared to the $29 of the iSkin).

If Apple's own case didn't suck so much (or at least allowed control and viewing of screen while IN case), I wouldn't have to be farting around with this stuff.