new G5+23" Display promo

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...t_savings.html

old RAM promo was also extended to June 26th

that's 2 days before WWDC

check the apple store

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well then, I guess we can be pretty sure something will happen at WWDC. The big question is, what will happen BEFORE then? I thought the end of the discount RAM deal today would signal new products this Tuesday, but I don't know. Hopefully we get an update sometime - it's been nearly six months since there was a REAL hardware update (And I don't count the XServe G5, because they're still not available, and they're not mainstream products anyway). 2003 was an awesome year, I just hope 2004 will be able to live up to our high expectations.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Let's wait and see what the IBM event this coming week might bring.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Wow.

No new hardware for almost 6 months of the year.

iPod must be doing well. \
  • Reply 4 of 29
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    This makes the move directly to 3GHz more believable. I really did think there would be a ~2.5 GHz update inbetween.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Is it just me or is Apple being really retarded here?

If we don't see hardware updates till late June, that would mean the Powermac will go 2 months short of a year without being upgraded and the iMac will go 9 months unchanged.

Arn't 2.0-2.4 G5s ready? What the hell is Apple doing? It really doesn't make sense to let sales fall and then jump from 2 Ghz to 3 Ghz.

Or is Apple doing this to play with us???
  • Reply 6 of 29
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    This promo applies to "(a)ll Apple Power Mac G5 computers; Apple display:M8537ZM/A 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display."

This promo is to move monitors (hence the specification), not an indication of when/if new G5s will be announced. Same for the RAM promotion ("single or dual processor G5s").
  • Reply 7 of 29
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I just think this means that there wont be new Apple Displays released in conjunction with the new PowerMacs.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    I can see a huge product shift coming down the pipes. Because of these prolonged deals I can see them releasing a 3GHz chip this summer. But I'm seeing more than this.

I'm betting Apple is going to pull a major shift to G5s...if not this summer than soon after. I'm betting they want to get the towers up to 3GHz/90nm to allow 1.6 GHz iMacs and such. The fact that the iMac/eMac/iBook/Powerbook lines are still on G4 is probably eating away at Jobs. Those chips don't have much life in them. Granted....there's the new 1.5 MHz ones...but I'm betting those will power the iBook line for the next year. The G5s are coming. Jobs wants to try and get away from Moto as soon as possible.....he's just buying time for a large enough gap between the G5 speeds.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    To go slightly off topic (and to stem the "No new whatever till whenever" posts), with this new promo, it seems like you can buy from any Authorized Apple reseller as well.

So anyone interested in the deal could probably buy from Amazon, who's currently discounting both PowerMacs(between $80-$130 off depending on model) and the 23" Cinema Display ($120 off)... combined with a discount for buying both togther ($100 for 1.6 or Dual 1.8 with 23", $200 for Dual 2.0 with 23"), then the $500 MIR from Apple.

About $70 shipping costs if you buy both, but still not too shabby.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i remember AI saying that LCD's were already on a back order. what the hell more are they waiting for to revise them?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the dead parot

...I'm betting they want to get the towers up to 3GHz/90nm to allow 1.6 GHz iMacs and such. The fact that the iMac/eMac/iBook/Powerbook lines are still on G4 is probably eating away at Jobs. Those chips don't have much life in them. Granted....there's the new 1.5 MHz ones...but I'm betting those will power the iBook line for the next year. The G5s are coming. Jobs wants to try and get away from Moto as soon as possible.....he's just buying time for a large enough gap between the G5 speeds.

I've said this before, and it has been said by others as well, to bring the iMac back to being on par with the original iMac it needs to have a processor in the high end model that is as fast or faster than the low end PowerMac. Today that would be a 1.6 Ghz G4 or G5, when the next models are released that would be in the neighborhood of 2 Ghz. Until Apple is able to to that and get the price back below $1,000 the iMac will not regain the sales figures and praise that the original iMac had.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Does anyone else think that Apple may be delaying the G5 Rev B to incorporate Hyper Transport 2 in to their MB.

I wish they would.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Even if Apple doesn't have processors to bump with, couldn't they at least add some RAM/HD/DVD-R's/VideoRam SOMETHING across the line to justify the insane current pricing?!?!

I mean what is so hard about declaring you can't revise the PowerMac's for a few more months and either drop them a few hundred dollars or just double all the non-processor specs.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 29
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Is it just me or is Apple being really retarded here?

It's not you. If the new policy is huge updates once a year with nothing in between, we're going to see exactly what happened last year: a surge of demand resulting in long shipping delays, followed by lackluster sales for the rest of the year.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

It's not you. If the new policy is huge updates once a year with nothing in between, we're going to see exactly what happened last year: a surge of demand resulting in long shipping delays, followed by lackluster sales for the rest of the year.

There are many stores in retail, that do 90% of sales at Christmas time.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB:

This promo is to move monitors (hence the specification), not an indication of when/if new G5s will be announced. Same for the RAM promotion ("single or dual processor G5s").

Has Apple ever refreshed their PowerMac line in the middle of a promotion?

If not, this doesn't look good... I hope I'm wrong but I'm more than a little sceptical that Apple would move from a 2 Ghz machine to a 3 Ghz machine in one giant leap. It's just too big a move when they could clearly milk a 2 - 2.5 update for a quarter or two. I hate to say it, but I think moving straight to 3 Ghz is more wishful thinking than anything else.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai:Does anyone else think that Apple may be delaying the G5 Rev B to incorporate Hyper Transport 2 in to their MB.

If they do that I hope they implement PCI Express as well...

C.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Speaking of HyperTransport2, anyone have any idea what tangible benefits it will offer besides, mapping to PCI Express and 22.4 GBps of bandwidth?

Oh yea, the extending of the promos is not cool at all. Or maybe Steve's just trying to throw us off
  • Reply 18 of 29
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Hopefully next week there will be a new promo.....$100 off all products....this no updates/same pricing really is annoying.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Odedh

new G5+23" Display promo

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...t_savings.html

old RAM promo was also extended to June 26th

that's 2 days before WWDC

check the apple store

thats exciting but i will never be able to afford any of them.... bummer!
  • Reply 20 of 29
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    WWDC?

</tantrum>