Club them like baby seals!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Crack that head!

While no one likes to believe that anyone is treated any different because of race, I really don't think this would have turned out so nicely for the involved parties if they had been, say two six foot tall black males who had been tossed out of a club for being too drunk.

Quote:

As officers tried to put Elizabeth Hatch into the squad car, her sister struck an officer in the face, Taylor said. When Anne Hatch was put into the squad car she kicked out the rear passenger-side window, Taylor said.

The two were released from jail Saturday to seek treatment for injuries suffered in the brawl. They were charged with misdemeanors, including assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest and damaging a police car. They were scheduled to appear in court May 5, Taylor said.

In my view, they were fully out of control and constituted a threat to the officers. I think the officers should have taken their night sticks and gone to town clubbing them like they are the leading homerun hitter with bases loaded during a playoff game. I mean one of them still kicked out the window after having been put in the car.

Throw the book, and then a brick at them says I,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Crack that head!

While no one likes to believe that anyone is treated any different because of race, I really don't think this would have turned out so nicely for the involved parties if they had been, say two six foot tall black males who had been tossed out of a club for being too drunk.

In my view, they were fully out of control and constituted a threat to the officers. I think the officers should have taken their night sticks and gone to town clubbing them like they are the leading homerun hitter with bases loaded during a playoff game. I mean one of them still kicked out the window after having been put in the car.

Nick

Yes, i agree. they are women....they have equal rights? so use police brutalitity on them too!¡!¡!¡!¡!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Completely offensive and reprehensible.

A cop can't legally club someone indiscriminately, even if they're a threat. You can only do enough to keep someone under control. If the women made it to the station then the cops did enough to keep them under control. Suggesting violence on top of that is absolutely against the law. Absolutely criminal.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Completely offensive and reprehensible.

A cop can't legally club someone indiscriminately, even if they're a threat. You can only do enough to keep someone under control. If the women made it to the station then the cops did enough to keep them under control. Suggesting violence on top of that is absolutely against the law. Absolutely criminal.

Please don't hyperventilate. I'm just being a little colorful and descriptive with my language. These women were seriously out of control though. They were tossed out of the club after repeated warnings. Then they were loud and combative outside the club until the police arrive. At that point they then became loud and combative with the police. They both ran toward the squad cars, (and we can assume thus, the officers) both struck officers in the face, one kicked out a window, and both repeatedly resisted arrest.

I don't care how privileged their background. If you, I or someone had done this, we would have a few cranial bruises to show for our efforts. Also any time someone has gotten close enough to grab or hit an officer in the head, that should warrent a serious escalation of force.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 60
    they might have been out of control, but i guess the question we should be asking was did they pose a serious threat to the officers? i doubt they did. most officers are pretty big guys that are trained to handle themselves in these kind situations. now that's not to say if the girls got a bit banged up i'd feel all that bad for them. dumb bitches.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    I'll bet they hit like girls, though.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member

Officers are expected to use their best judgment when dealing with this kind of situation. I don't see why you're upset that they didn't start beating people up. You weren't there. You didn't see what happened. You only read an account by a popular news source that they acted the way they did. How do you know there's no embellishment going on?

Yeah, maybe if they were two six-foot tall black men, they would have gotten more of a beating. Of course, I believe a typical police officer would feel much more threatened by a six-foot tall man (black or white) than a woman. If you're arguing that the women were given special treatment because of sex discrimination, then that's probably not true because women are not as strong (in general) as men, it's just a fact that they have smaller frames. If you're arguing that it's racial discrimination, I'd like to see something to back it up. Yes, we know that racial discrimination happens often among police officers, but how can you pass judgment on officers you know nothing about? How can you automatically say that these ones would have beaten the crap out of a pair of black men had they been kicked out of a club? Maybe if this particular police force has had problems with racial discrimination in the past, but otherwise, I don't see your point.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

they might have been out of control, but i guess the question we should be asking was did they pose a serious threat to the officers? i doubt they did. most officers are pretty big guys that are trained to handle themselves in these kind situations. now that's not to say if the girls got a bit banged up i'd feel all that bad for them. dumb bitches.

Well, I agree with you completely. I think the way these college girls acted was a disgrace. They acted like total spoiled brats, which is what they probably are.

I was shocked when I clicked on the link to find out who they were, because they 'sounded' like trashy, uneducated low-lifes when I first read the original post.

How embarrassing for their dad. He must feel SO humiliated by their crude, obnoxious behavior.

Wrt their treatment, the police always have to worry about getting charged themselves - for acting inappropriately, i.e. with excessive force. It sounds like they handled these two hell-cats quite moderately.

Both girls deserve for daddy to take away their car keys for six months. See how they like that!

Hope the judge sentences them to months and months of community service, where they have to serve food at a homeless shelter or do something else that will open their spoiled-brat eyes to life in the 'real world'. Grrrrr.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Wrt their treatment, the police always have to worry about getting charged themselves - for acting inappropriately, i.e. with excessive force. It sounds like they handled these two hell-cats quite moderately.

Definitely. Given the amount of litigation in this country, I could definitely see some shocked parent suing the police force for, oh, $10 million because the police did their jobs. It wouldn't hold up in court, but going by current trends, they'd just settle out anyway and make themselves a nice chunk of change at the taxpayer's expense.

Quote:

Hope the judge sentences them to months and months of community service, where they have to serve food at a homeless shelter or do something else that will open their spoiled-brat eyes to life in the 'real world'. Grrrrr.

w3rd to that. They probably won't get much though... not what they deserve at least. But I do think that community service (and losing their car keys!) would be an excellent punishment. Far better than a fine, which they'd probably end up borrowing from their parents anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sorry, but if you kick out the back window of a squad car, you're not only out of control but dangerous.

and they both hit cops in the face? i'd throw the book at them. of course, being as daddy is the attorney general that just might not happen.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

sorry, but if you kick out the back window of a squad car, you're not only out of control but dangerous.

Have you seen those shackles where the person must lie in the back of the squad car with knees bent, wearing ankle-shackles hooked to handcuffs behind the arrestee's back?

I wish the girl who kicked out the window had been made to wear those. Wonder how she would have enjoyed spending a night in jail with a few prostitutes, panhandlers, drug-dealers, and other assorted street people. Ha! Would have served her right.

But then she would undoubtedly have sued for 'cruel and unusual punishment', after being incarcerated with others who have manners similar to hers. They both deserve nothing but contempt. And I bet they aren't even all that sorry for their shameful behavior. Humph!
  • Reply 11 of 60
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

and they both hit cops in the face? i'd throw the book at them. of course, being as daddy is the attorney general that just might not happen.

Trumptman is essentially correct in his assertion that there is a double-standard that is applied by law enforcement officials of varying types. And this is a good example of it. And alcimedes points out why it's a good example...

...the women knew they wouldn't be touched, because they're women. And not only that, but women with connections. This doesn't mean it's a good idea to [use force] against every drunken woman who is arrested (and I don't think anyone is suggesting that). But were I to be the officer in that situation and a woman struck me and kicked a window out at me... I have one word for you.

Taser. Why a taser you ask? Because I never hit women.

• Reply 12 of 60
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I have one word for you.

Taser. Why a taser you ask? Because I never hit women.

• Reply 13 of 60
    Does everyone else have more info about this than the linked story provides or are we just going on prejudices and stereotypes?

It makes me slightly queasy when people take great delight in describing the horrible fates that should befall rapists, child-murders, Saddam, OBL etc.

Taking similar delight in the thought of two young girls being beaten and humiliated is just off-color, especially for the crimes of: being young, rich, having an influential dad, being drunk (while celebrating a 21st birthday), shouting, knocking a policeman's spectacles off, and kicking the window of a police car door.

I have no idea what the two six foot black men have to do with anything but

I'll take the obviously unpopular view that police officers should not be in the business of dishing out punishment beatings to *anyone* and should instead be using the minimum violence necessary to prevent harm to themselves, bystanders and the troublemakers.

The story brought back memories for me of two young girls I know who recently got thrown out of a club and nearly got involved in a fight. Only after a sleepless night of hallucinations and heart palpitations did one figure out that their drinks had been spiked. The other girl, and all their friends present on the night, simply thought they were really drunk.

Not that I'm saying that's what happened here, I just don't see enough facts to come to anything but a preconceived conclusion.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Also, when people are talking about black people getting beaten up by cops, they're usually concerned about when racist cops take advantage of their positions of power to harrass, victimise and beat helpless minorities, often after they are handcuffed or outnumbered. Pretending it only happens when the white cops are frightened of the scary big black men is perhaps putting a different spin on events than reality would warrant.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Crack that head!

Nick

True

while I was in Pittsburgh there was at least one DEATH due to exactly that . . guys beaten to death by cops while being ejected form bars

but they were at a 'nuisance bar'

• Reply 16 of 60
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Taking similar delight in the thought of two young girls being beaten and humiliated is just off-color, especially for the crimes of: being young, rich, having an influential dad, being drunk (while celebrating a 21st birthday), shouting, knocking a policeman's spectacles off, and kicking the window of a police car door.

Except that they weren't beaten... or touched AFAICT. Further, who is "taking delight?" The original post was just to point out that -- IMO -- if anyone other than a well-connected woman behaved like that during arrest, particularly any man, they would get hammered by the cops. And in this kind of case, it's kind of hard to argue against it.

The rationale: the arrestee was exhibiting dangerous behavior (lets be real, anyone who kicks out a police cruiser window, is not stable, is violent, and is dangerous. Even if the he is a she...

Taser.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    glyphglyph Posts: 58member
    Quote:

while I was in Pittsburgh there was at least one DEATH due to exactly that . . guys beaten to death by cops while being ejected form bars...

we have a bar called chilkoot charlies in anchorage where a young man was killed at the hands of some bouncers. it happened about a month after another man was found dead of exposure shortly after being bounced out of a strip club.

there was quite a public uproar about the chilkoot death and somebody set the place on fire. luckily, it wasn't major.

the man's family now want bouncers to be trained in first aid and dealing with combative people under the influence.

i think bars - if they want to administer toxic levels of alcohol to it's patrons, they should pay for the associated costs of preventing/remedying any situation that comes from the effect that alcohol has on their customers.

an unruly drunk is not far from unconsciousness to begin with, without having to restrain him/her - and who knows what else is in their system? - so that should be a consideration when it comes to restraining them.

as far as the double standard goes, sure there is. one standard for a 5ft, 140lb woman - who is as likely to grab your gun as well, a 5ft 140lb woman - and a 6ft, 250lb black man who if he wanted to - knock you out with one blow. men are known for that.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    I hope they get the chair.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by glyph

we have a bar called chilkoot charlies in anchorage where a young man was killed at the hands of some bouncers. it happened about a month after another man was found dead of exposure shortly after being bounced out of a strip club.

there was quite a public uproar about the chilkoot death and somebody set the place on fire. luckily, it wasn't major.

the man's family now want bouncers to be trained in first aid and dealing with combative people under the influence.

i think bars - if they want to administer toxic levels of alcohol to it's patrons, they should pay for the associated costs of preventing/remedying any situation that comes from the effect that alcohol has on their customers.

an unruly drunk is not far from unconsciousness to begin with, without having to restrain him/her - and who knows what else is in their system? - so that should be a consideration when it comes to restraining them.

as far as the double standard goes, sure there is. one standard for a 5ft, 140lb woman - who is as likely to grab your gun as well, a 5ft 140lb woman - and a 6ft, 250lb black man who if he wanted to - knock you out with one blow. men are known for that.

I think people that drink to access in bars should freeze to death on sidewalks.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Where are the ERA feminists on this?

Are we still on the same page on equality?