System Preferences-editing prefpane locations

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As most of us here know-if you play around on your mac enough, eventually you will have a LOT of things in the "other" section of your System Preferences application...

I would like to organize some of these additions to other parts of the panel...

for example the Remote Desktop pane (which doesn't actually DO anything-more on that later) should belong in "Internet & Network" section and the Hardware pane (from the CHUD tools) belongs in the "Hardware" section...

does anyone know how to manually edit the locations of these items?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    **ahem**

brad, I'm looking in your direction ..
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

As most of us here know-if you play around on your mac enough, eventually you will have a LOT of things in the "other" section of your System Preferences application...

I would like to organize some of these additions to other parts of the panel...

for example the Remote Desktop pane (which doesn't actually DO anything-more on that later) should belong in "Internet & Network" section and the Hardware pane (from the CHUD tools) belongs in the "Hardware" section...

does anyone know how to manually edit the locations of these items?

Find System Prefs in your App folder. Choose "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu and open the folder "Contents." In the folder "Contents," open "Resources." Then, edit this file "NSPrefPaneGroups.plist"

Done!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Agent Macintosh

Find System Prefs in your App folder. Choose "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu and open the folder "Contents." In the folder "Contents," open "Resources." Then, edit this file "NSPrefPaneGroups.plist"

Done!

ok cool... just one more question... well two...

where do I find the correct strings to use for the prefpanes in the "other" section?

and

where/how did you learn of this information? (for both the original and above questions--so I guess that would really mean three more)

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Are you sure you want to be monkeying with the system?

Haaaa, you'll find out sooner or later to leave well enough alone.