New iPods No Later Than May...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know most people may already think or pretty much anticipate this to be true, I just have one more reason as to why it might be. I think it is worthy of being discussed here.

The new iPod line will be released around this time, not because its the anniversary of the iTMS, but because the market will purchase these things. Q1 is historically the slowest economic period of the year, where retail is down and people are still recovering from the holliday shopping blitz. For this reason also, is why I think Apple did not release big ticket items in this quarter. Also, the eMac may have been released just before the earnings conference call to make good on Fred Anderson's $999 sweet spot talk.

High School graduation will be the main reason iPods will be released very shortly. Hundreds of thousands of kids across the nation will be graduating from high school in just 2 months time, and they will have some cash to spend. iPods might be THE gift parents give to their kids as graduation presents. There is no better target than college aged kids with some spending cash, especially a market that is notorious for its music listening/CD buying and downloading.

---Reasons for the iPod update recap---

?iTunes Music Store Anniversary on April 28th. (Mentioned by this site)

?Quarter 1 2004 is over, spending habits will increase. More retail sales.

?Education buying season, "spring line of products" totally refreshing everything is also good PR.

?Other online music services are sprouting up.

?The HP+Apple deal will start very shortly.

?Competitor players are becoming cheaper/more functional.

?High School graduation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Well, I thought this would jumpstart some discussion....riiiight.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Well, I thought this would jumpstart some discussion....riiiight.

I guess people are just too excited about the new eMacs to talk about 4th gen iPods.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    In terms of a 4th gen iPod, I cant wait to see what apple has come up with. As for the release date, I think the end of April/ beginning of May would be a good time. It would definately make a good companion announcement for the new international ITMS (crossing fingers for a canadian version) and one year annaversary. Plus there would be a difference between the Apple iPod and the HP iPod. I dont think it would make a whole lot of sense for Apple and HP to be selling the same product. I mean, whats the point?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    dads and grads time is great for gadgets. I do hope we see some new ones..but what's next besides a video pod?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Well, I don't know.

Yes, it would be about time to refresh the iPod line, but with mini-Pods not yet shipping in quantity, I can't really see a next-gen Pod coming. What is more, this would be a slap in the face of HP (which will start selling Gen3 iPods).

So, I see a rev coming in Sept/Oct.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Well, I don't know.

Yes, it would be about time to refresh the iPod line, but with mini-Pods not yet shipping in quantity, I can't really see a next-gen Pod coming. What is more, this would be a slap in the face of HP (which will start selling Gen3 iPods).

So, I see a rev coming in Sept/Oct.

You are horribly incorrect.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Actually, he is probably correct. The re-engineered iPod mini will finally be in stock and selling like hotcakes for this particular "graduation" season. Fall or closer to Christmas is a much more likely time for an iPod intro.

By the way, Messiahtosh, have you ever been correct (horribly or otherwise) on any of your predictions? Oh that's right I didn't think so.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

Ba-ZAAAM!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Actually, he is probably correct. The re-engineered iPod mini will finally be in stock and selling like hotcakes for this particular "graduation" season. Fall or closer to Christmas is a much more likely time for an iPod intro.

By the way, Messiahtosh, have you ever been correct (horribly or otherwise) on any of your predictions? Oh that's right I didn't think so.

Just wait and see man, it'll all happen like I've said and like nearly all rumors sites have said. A new iPod line would most certainly have to be released before the FALL, considering competition especially. April will usher in an either re-priced iPod line or a revised one.

The fall is 4 and a half months away. You are horribly, horrendously, sickly, and grotesquely wrong to think that iPods wont come until then.....plus, what is Apple going to do, sell the same player HP does? Ha!

BTW-the re-engineered iPod mini's? That whole concept is based soley on rumors, Apple has not even publicly addressed the "problem"...seeing that I have a perfectly functional iPod mini after 2+ months of use should say something. ISOLATED ISSUE.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

You are horribly, horrendously, sickly, and grotesquely wrong ...

Oh, the humanity!

• Reply 11 of 20
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Making fun of a tragedy such as the Hindenburg is, well, not funny. Would you show a picture of the twin towers being hit by a jet? Very bad taste.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    This thread has gotten off topic, please get back to the topic at hand.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

We are actually in Q3 right now and it is Q2 that is traditionally weak as it follows the Holiday buying season. Q1 is the last three months of the previous year. Ah, financial obfuscation. Speaking of which, don't forget the conference call today...
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Okay then, back on topic. The flaw in your logic is that Apple has never, never, timed a product release to coincide with holidays, shopping sprees, fiscal quarters or what the competition is doing. The fact that Jobs almost always announces new products and updates in January -- a full two weeks after the close of the the holiday shopping season -- should tell you that.

Nope, Apple releases products as soon as its suppliers can deliver them. Its schedule is tied to production and little else.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

I agree with Messiahtosh. Apple's sales in the ipod would slow down maybe even dead if apple and HP was selling the same technology. In topic of mp3 players how does the dell DJ 15GB( 7000 songs) hold more songs then the ipod 15 GB ( 3700 songs)?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

In topic of mp3 players how does the dell DJ 15GB( 7000 songs) hold more songs then the ipod 15 GB ( 3700 songs)?

7000 songs = wma

3700 songs = mp3 (or AAC)

Wma takes up less disk space but sounds worse than mp3
  • Reply 17 of 20
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

7000 songs = wma

Thank you.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    For what its worth - the cost of an 20Gb iPod on Amazon [EDIT UK] dropped by 30% - only a few weeks back there was a six week wait for orders. Amazon must have stock to clear..?

Maybe - new designed iPod with solid state scroll wheel navigation same as mini:

20Gb

30Gb

60Gb

Introduced mid/late May to coincide with iTMS Europe...

Hopefully the HPod will be restricted to 10/15Gb, so not to eat into the 'mini' or high end market...

®en
  • Reply 19 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It better have a mic/line in.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

7000 songs = wma

WMA doesn't sound bad..they just try and con you to encoding it at 32 or 64k (which sounds like crap)