Pig Poo -> Crude Oil

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Rock! It would be awesome if we could actually pull this off. I wonder if the same process could be done on human waste? I can see it now....20 yrs from now we could all be poo'in in small reactors to heat our homes

Piggies

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    We've had a few threads on this. It's good to see that the research is still progressing.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Except like every other farm animal, the feed used on pig farms requires tons of oil at various stages of the process. What many people don't seem to get about Peak Oil / a true shortage, is that you can't use a technology that requires oil, to replace oil.

Even if there was a miracle-toilet that could convert your logs into crude oil, the very food you eat (log precursor) and the means to package and store it, requires tremendous amounts of oil.

Basically, there is no way out unless you have some new energy technology that requires no oil to produce, and very little oil to distribute and install across vast swaths of territory.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Everything requires oil so lets just drink the Kool Aid and hope we wake up on the flying saucer.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Subjecting pigs to give up their own shit?

CALL PETA!

Shit, you'd have to have a lot of pig shit to do this wouldn't you?

/Just wanted to use the word shit three times in a post...carry on...

• Reply 5 of 23
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    This is impossible! We all know it takes zillions of years to make oil!

Actually, I think the questions to ask is how much energy will this process take and what the margins are on this process. It sounds a bit like perpetual motion.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    You're right, it is.

By the way, Scott, DAMN that was random, even for you.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    He's wearing his Nike Cortezes (sp?) today.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Pig/Shit/Gas...so what?

How about water that isn't wet?

" The chemical (Sapphire) has all the firefighting properties of water, yet it will not cause the damage to items that is usually associated with water."

That's innovation.

• Reply 9 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The truth is out there.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

You're right, it is.

By the way, Scott, DAMN that was random, even for you.

But we're in a Catch 22. We need a new energy source that doesn't require oil but to do anything these days requires oil. I give up. See ya on the spaceship.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Be patient, our leader has a plan...

"Under the President's hydrogen fuel initiative, the first car driven by a child born today could be powered by fuel cells."

...any seats left on that spaceship?

• Reply 12 of 23
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dmz

This is impossible! We all know it takes zillions of years to make oil!

Actually, I think the questions to ask is how much energy will this process take and what the margins are on this process. It sounds a bit like perpetual motion.

But if we steal energy from the sun to make this stuff we'll come out on top.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Wind and Solar do seem to be the only way clean forward, but I'm not sure they'll be able to do more than supplement our power needs.

Canada needs to find a way to harness all that Arctic wind action somehow, while every desert in the U.S. will need to be covered in solar cells. While we're at it, every electricity pole would need a panel of solar cells as well. And of course, our aging grid needs upgrading to allow for the panels to feed energy randomly into the power grid.

The question here is whether solar cells can be made cheaply enough to make a difference. And whether a new grid will allow consumers to put panels on their roofs and plug in their electric cars to feed the grid. A new grid would be internet capable as well (which would help pay for all this.) Everyone's home would also have a smart meter, which would allow discounts for things like running the dishwasher/dryer at 2am instead of midday.

I truly believe that this issue is on par with the Space program or the Manhattan project. The person(s) responsible for successfully implementing a total rebuild of North America's Energy grid will be remembered for generations to come.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Nuclear?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    We're currently debating this in Ontario.

Nuclear is an option, but it's an expensive option.

Most of the time our nuke plants are operating at a fraction of their capacity.

Here in Toronto, we have a serious garbage problem, in that our dumps are mostly full and we're sending a hundred trucks a day to Michigan landfills.

The current thinking is that modern enviro-friendly incinerators, which would produce enough energy to heat whole neighbourhoods, would solve two problems at once.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    Reminds me of Mad Max 3
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

We're currently debating this in Ontario.

Nuclear is an option, but it's an expensive option.

Most of the time our nuke plants are operating at a fraction of their capacity.

Here in Toronto, we have a serious garbage problem, in that our dumps are mostly full and we're sending a hundred trucks a day to Michigan landfills.

The current thinking is that modern enviro-friendly incinerators, which would produce enough energy to heat whole neighbourhoods, would solve two problems at once.

I live in Michigan so I know where you trash is going. Why can't you guys store your own trash? You have a huge country.

This technology that trailmaster308 links to is said to be able to handle any type of biological trash. Even stuff like paper or food waste. So maybe that's a solution for a lot of it.

I think nuclear can be done well. You still have to store the spent fuel which is more political than science these days. But the new designs are no where near Chernobyl.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    We should just eat the most over populated country's babies. That way we reduce our dependence on oil while solving the need for providing the entire world with food.

mmm, babies...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

We should just eat the most over populated country's babies. That way we reduce our dependence on oil while solving the need for providing the entire world with food.

mmm, babies...

have you read ' a modest proposal' by Jonathan swift?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    vargasvargas Posts: 426member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

mmm, babies...

They eat dead foetuses in China