Choice Digital Cameras

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Amazon CC...I'd be all over it if the credits and discounts applied equally to Amazon Affiliates like their apparel shops, Circuit City, Office Depot, Target, etc.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Amazon CC...I'd be all over it if the credits and discounts applied equally to Amazon Affiliates like their apparel shops, Circuit City, Office Depot, Target, etc.

I agree, it'd be a much better deal. But I tend to avoid the affiliate shops just because most of them charge tax, killing the benefit of buying online anyway... IMHO, it's still a great card. And if you're going to buy something big like computer or camera you'd be foolish not to use it.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

what does interpolated mean in a digital camera? I saw a digital camer that had a 3.3 megapixel rating, but it takes 6.6 megapixel pictures when interpolated.

Interpolation is increasing the size through a software algorythm ... you'd be better off increasing the size in Photoshop. The "interpolation" in the Fuji mentioned above is quite a bit better than the straight software conversions, do to the shape of the pixels, but interpolation none the less.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Are you saying Microsoft isn't innovative?

It's a perfectly valid comparison. The fact is Canon chooses volume over quality. Look at their Powershot line-up and how frequently they turn-over with new models.

You said that Nikon looks like Apple. Apple is much more innovative than Microsoft. I don't think that Nikon is more innovative than Canon.

For the mass production you are right for the consumer line. For others professional line, the turn over is not that important.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Interpolation is increasing the size through a software algorythm ...

Ichiban_jay: I think of interpolation as pixel-doubling (or quadrupling, if you consider surface area). Although interpolation is obviously a bit more sophisticated than pixel-doubling, it makes just as little sense to me when done in-camera.

Escher
  • Reply 46 of 77
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

the canon digital rebel has dropped to $899 on amazon (including the lens).

That's quite impressive, torifile, and certainly an excellent investment. My hunch is that the lower price on Amazon is an indication of two things: (1) intense competition from Nikon's D70, and (2) a possible update to the Digital Rebel (maybe just a color change to black ).

It is increasingly clear that my next digital camera will be a true interchangeable lens SLR, not a fixed-lens pseudo-SLR model. I am still not sure whether it will be a Canon or a Nikon. But first I have to upgrade my Mac to handle the larger images anyway...

Escher
  • Reply 47 of 77
    Well, I just did it. I order the Canon. I know it's not the best dslr but it's close enough. All told, I dropped about $1000 on the camera, cf card and case. I used up some amazon gift certificates to get it that low. Whew!

Now if only I knew how to take some purty pitchers.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Well, I just did it. I order the Canon. I know it's not the best dslr but it's close enough. All told, I dropped about $1000 on the camera, cf card and case. I used up some amazon gift certificates to get it that low. Whew!

Now if only I knew how to take some purty pitchers.

Congrats man : good buy. I enjoy my 10 D, the rebel is nearly the same product : you will take fantastic pictures.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Congrats man : good buy. I enjoy my 10 D, the rebel is nearly the same product : you will take fantastic pictures.

Thanks! I got it tonight and I spent too much time playing with it. My fiancee loves it too (and this is good because it's a wedding present from one another to one another). I'm going to go for a walk tomorrow.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    My D70 came yesterday -- a day early!! But I promised myself not to open it up until after tonight's last organic II test EVER (well, at least there's still the exam, but meh). This is a very classy rig for a "consumer" badged model. The lens comes with its own nice pouch, and it's quite heavy (the lens)! My first AF-S lens!! Yes, it's sad to be excited about such things, but I don't have the cash to drop on lenses over three figures.

I have a couple questions for you people that have been the in the Nikon digital camp for a while (my previous body was a Kodak, so I'm used to Kodak's software that seems *much* better organized and faster - from what I've done so far).

They shipped this thing called "PictureProject" with the D70. It seems ok as far as importing off the CF card. It opens the NEF raw files noticeably faster than the photoshop plugin that shipped with it (this plugin, though, lets you adjust white balance and exposure compensation -- but it's SLOW). This software won't let you export to TIFF, though -- just JPEG. Which may not be too bad, given it's probably better than the camera's JPEG conversion.

But my question: is it worth it just to install Nikon View and Nikon Capture and then buy the full version of Nikon Capture? Is Nikon Capture noticeably faster than Photoshop 7 handling these NEF files, or is it just that my poor PowerBook is choking on them?
  • Reply 51 of 77
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    Personally I use Image Capture to import my pictures from the card.

Adobe released Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 2.2 for:

Product Description:

The Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in delivers lightning-fast, easy access - within Photoshop - to "raw" image formats in professional and mid-range digital cameras from Canon, Fujifilm, Minolta, Nikon and Olympus. Available as a software add-on that works with Photoshop 7.0.1 software, the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in allows photographers to directly manipulate the original data captured by a digital camera sensor, producing images with superior tonal range and the maximum amount of detail.

What's new in this version:

Support for the following cameras has been added in this update. For a complete list of supported cameras, please visit the camera raw page.

Canon PowerShot Pro1, EOS-1D MARK II

Kodak DCS Pro 14nx, DCS Pro SLR/n

Konica Minolta

DiMAGE A2

Nikon D70, Coolpix 8700

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom

Sigma SD9, SD10

Product Requirements:

Photoshop CS
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Nikon View/Editor can do many basic adjustments. The free version of Nikon Capture should be flexible enough for most people's needs. It's pretty damned slow on my Power Mac G4 tower though. The Nikon software produces noticeably better images from the NEFs than the built-in Photoshop CS RAW plugin, but I don't know about the plugin that Nikon ships.

With other cameras, PhaseOne CaptureOne seems to pull more resolution and detail out of raw files than even the Nikon and Canon supplied software. D70 support coming soon?.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    Yeah, after working with Nikon View and browser/editor, it seems they're pretty decent. I haven't worked with RAW files yet (just JPEG), but it seems quite speedy as far as generating thumbnails, etc. This over 2-megapixel resolution thing is going to take some getting used, to though! It's a different world --- and makes me want a G5 for working with such files in Photoshop extensively.

This is quite a brilliant camera -- I went out to our garden just a few hours ago. We had storms this morning, but this afternoon is turning out to be gorgeous. I realize midday sunlight isn't a fair test for any camera - but right now there were little droplets of rain all over the lilies and the bees and moths were going crazy at the blossoms!

Here's a look....(very small previews -- not really getting the full effect of this camera's resolving capability, but they're fast to deal with). I used my el-cheapo (but excellent) Nikkor 50mm f1.8 for all the shots; I'm not about to uncap the 18-70 until the filter I ordered for it comes in, but I look forward to using it. These are also downsampled to 3.33 megapixels (in-camera), taken in the Adobe RGB colorspace:

(Sepia for kicks -- the post and the new corn stalks growing!)

I was kind of being silly and shot most of these wide open, so the shutter speeds were quite exorbitant. I may have seen some evidence of what people were talking about in terms of strange banding artifacts. However, shooting in RAW instead of JPEG seemed to eliminate them.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:

With other cameras, PhaseOne CaptureOne seems to pull more resolution and detail out of raw files than even the Nikon and Canon supplied software. D70 support coming soon?.

Holy shit, batman! That program is half the price of my camera! Did I look in the right place? Any other options for RAW files?
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:

Holy shit, batman! That program is half the price of my camera! Did I look in the right place? Any other options for RAW files?

The Pro version is pretty expensive, but the Windows only C1 Rebel is $50 and there's a few other versions that are relatively inexpensive.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    I wonder if you guys can help me.....it appears what I thought was an artifact that disappeared in RAW is actually there as well.

edit: a better representation...

Is this dust on the sensor causing such an anomaly? Or is it a bad CCD? I wouldn't be so upset if the problem were just limited to the one spot rather than this line running down almost half the picture. It's not even noticeable in pictures with color to mask it well enough, but with a dark background it's unacceptably obtrusive. I'm not going to clone out this thing on every picture where it might cause a problem if it's a camera defect.

Drat, I really didn't want this to be so. If this is indeed a sensor problem, I wonder what Nikon's policy is?
  • Reply 57 of 77
    If you can reproduce that line aberration, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to send it in to Nikon USA for a replacement. Nikon's warranty service is pretty good.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I saw this camera discussed in a stop-motion forum and it looks pretty good. Anyone know anything about it? I've never heard of the brand (Sigma). It has firewire and uses the foveon X3 sensor. I believe it also only saves photos in RAW.

Sigma SD10

Here's a photo taken with it. It looks pretty amazing:

http://www.foveon.net/img/Gallery/ne...Foveon0003.jpg

I'm new to all the good digital cameras... mines an ancient Kodak POS. Is there any reason to choose this one over the Canon or Nikon?
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Not really. It only accepts Sigma-mount lenses, and it's much more noisy than any of Nikon or Canon's offerings (inc. D-Rebel/D70). There's lots of promise for that kind of sensor, though.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    My first closeup with the digital rebel. If you zoom in, you can see the pollen and other detail. I'm amazed with this camera, honestly. It's quite a bit better than my sony crap...

edit: It was taken at about 6:30 in the evening, so it was getting dark out. I'm still working on getting some shots with more color. Maybe this weekend...