Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    No, you want these two...
  • Reply 22 of 89
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i've got two, a jolly roger, and a steal your face (i dont have exact pics anymore, but the gis is close enough), on either arm. the syf has a slight alteration, depending on the light you look at it, a joint or a cigarette hangs out of his teeth. i'm gonna get another one probably before summer.

tatts are really cool. unbelievably cool.

The above are exactly why I think 99% of tattoos, especially the one's men seem to go for, are asinine. They look like things bored 12 year-old boys sketch in their notebooks at school. Look at me, I'm a pirate!
  • Reply 23 of 89
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    if you change your mind after the inking

• Reply 24 of 89
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There is a whole class of women that won't consider you if you have a tattoo.

And, apparently, there's at least one guy who won't be cool with you either, if your boat floats in that pond.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Tattoo = good. If you're insecure, you won't like it. If you're serine, you'll be fine.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I'm sure most people who get tattoos grow out of that time in their life. I will be interesting to see all the tattooed elderly in 40-50 years.

"Grandpa... why is there a rat bursting out of your chest?"
  • Reply 27 of 89
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I'm sure most people who get tattoos grow out of that time in their life. I will be interesting to see all the tattooed elderly in 40-50 years.

"Grandpa... why is there a rat bursting out of your chest?"

More like, "Grandpa, why is there a flaccid, crumpled rattish thing drooping off your chest?"
  • Reply 28 of 89
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I am not a fan of tattoos. Too permanent if you ask me. There aren't many girls that I find more attractive because of a tattoo.

Kelly Rippa looks pretty good, and she says she regrets her tattoo on her leg

I'm not found too much of piercing either. I'm not sure if it's because she is cute as sin, but one of my friends got her tongue pierced and it's pretty cute. She says that she doesn't regret it, but there isn't really a point, just a waste of money.

Another one of my friends just got the incubus fish as a tattoo on his the side of his leg. Just don't see he point.

So my answer, is no

Edit: Has anyone see the salton sea though? That is a real sweet tattoo he has on his back. Good movie by the way.

The sun on the back is a bullet exit wound. The flames on the front of his arm, begin at the entrance wound. Sweet movie.

I think it would loose it's novelty after a week or two though.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I never got one despite being a rocker and being in many scenes that made it very tempting to do.

Not for any of the usual reasons though.

I once lived with a couple other guys from my job and this other guy, who had just joined the company was staying over on our couch for a few days.

Turns out he was wanted for something and, as about 15 swat cops came into the apartment (I was awoken by a flashlight in my face from a cop on my room's fire escape) they rushed in, saw his tattoos and made positive identification on him - and he was face down and they never asked his name. They just called out the tattoos they were seeing which matched the tattoos they were expecting.

"Dragon?" "Yup" "Skull?" "Yeah" "That's him."

Now, the point isn't that you aren't a good person or that you have to worry about being wanted for anything (and ID's by the tats) but life is hopefully very long and as such you can't be too sure what situations you might get into (in different countries too) and you don't know how times will change for good or bad.

No thanks. Not for me. You can think it over, it's your choice. I don't think ill of people that get them and some are quite nice. But on the whole, I dislike being that identifiable - by anyone.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Tattoo = good.

Thank you for that stunning, in-depth, insightful analysis.

Quote:

If you're insecure, you won't like it. If you're serine, you'll be fine.

What would a serene person need a tattoo for?

Seems to me that it's much more often a matter of insecurity -- about fitting in, being accepted into the group, etc. -- that leads to getting tattoos. Perhaps, however, there's a state of mind where one feels serene simply by virtue of having shut down one's brain so that one can mindlessly follow trends -- I suppose I can see that kind of "serenity" leading to tattoos.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

"Dragon?" "Yup" "Skull?" "Yeah" "That's him."

Given how cliche dragons, skulls, and other such tattoo designs are, those hardly sound like very identifying marks.

I suppose it's possible for tattoos to be true art, and for someone to reach a decision to get one that's well considered. But from what I've seen, that combination of art and thought are rare indeed.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Given how cliche dragons, skulls, and other such tattoo designs are, those hardly sound like very identifying marks.

I suppose it's possible for tattoos to be true art, and for someone to reach a decision to get one that's well considered. But from what I've seen, that combination of art and thought are rare indeed.

Funny, my spidey sense of what part of my post is going to be picked apart went off as I wrote that.

Those are generic. I should have said that. I don't recall the specifics. They don't matter. Had they been the most elaborate, most exquisite, most stunningly original examples of the art form, it'd have had the same net result - identification.

The point is that it was a specific set of tattoos (and known locations thereof as well) they were looking for. If you get enough info, no combination of tats (no matter how generic or original) will make them useless for identification. It can only help.

They are extremely helpful for law enforcement (whereas names, hair and even faces change). Once can only assume tats have been used as identification for criminal or other uses as well.

Again, get as many as you want. But that's my take on the subject.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    resres Posts: 711member
    I like tattoos a lot, but I'd never get one. They are just too permanent - I know that I would get tired of wearing the same tattoo all the time.

If they could make a tattoo that lasted for a year or so I would go for it, unfortunately the choice seems to be permanent or henna, which only lasts a few weeks.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I've seen some *GORGEOUS* ones, and ones that left me going 'eh'... and some that I just have to wonder what the hell they were thinking.

One of my favorites is on a young woman I know who has two light greyscale wing *stubs* on her shoulder blades. It looks like she once *had* wings, but they were, er, pulled off. Okay, that doesn't sound nearly as interesting or beautiful as it actually is... it's really quite subtle and a neat effect, and something that she can easily keep hidden if she so desires.

Many tattoos suck, some are outright beautiful, like any artwork. I've been working on and refining one of my own design for myself for, um... 11 years? Since the design hasn't changed in the last two, I think I'm finally ready to have it applied. But it isn't something I'd rush into. (My biggest concern isn't wanting it removed afterwards, but liking it *so* much that I then *do* rush into more of them, and regretting *those*...)

My planned one has jack squat to do with peer pressure, following a crowd or trying to be cool... it's something I've wanted to do since long before the bodmod fad hit, and actually has meaning for me. Unfortunately I think that's not usually the case.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Get A Picture of President bush tattooed on your ass.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

No, you want these two...

I wouldn't get those if I were you, I heard they come off with the slightest bit of transpiration...

• Reply 37 of 89
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Thank you for that stunning, in-depth, insightful analysis.

What would a serene person need a tattoo for?

Seems to me that it's much more often a matter of insecurity -- about fitting in, being accepted into the group, etc. -- that leads to getting tattoos. Perhaps, however, there's a state of mind where one feels serene simply by virtue of having shut down one's brain so that one can mindlessly follow trends -- I suppose I can see that kind of "serenity" leading to tattoos.

If you only view a tattoo as following a trend then you're not really enlightened enough to add to this thread. I already said that if you're insecure, don't do it. If you're clear headed about why you're doing it, if you are in line with the decision, there's nothing worth forgetting. If you do it because you're a trend following moron and you ever grow out of that stage, you'll look back at your tattoo and feel like an idiot.

Why on earth wouldn't a serene person need a tattoo? Everyone likes art. Your understanding of a tattoo is obviously very one-sided and jaded. You don't seem to have any real understanding of the issue.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Why on earth wouldn't a serene person need a tattoo? Everyone likes art. Your understanding of a tattoo is obviously very one-sided and jaded. You don't seem to have any real understanding of the issue.

While I can't get inside the head of everyone who gets tattooed, I can see the end results, and they very rarely qualify as "art", or at least very good art.

Using your own body as a nearly permanent canvas for banal, trite, and naive "art" seems like very poor decision making and very poor taste to me.

Maybe, for instance, a few people here consider that large back tattoo pictured in this thread, of a death figure with its arms outstretched over trees (In a swamp, perhaps? Hard to tell.), with a bullet-wound sun, to be "art".

To me, it looks like the cartoonish side of the talent of a moderately capable art student brought to bear in rendering the "really kewl idea" of a twelve year old.

Your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    A former girlfriend of mine had a housemate who decided to get a tattoo with her best friend. They went to the tattoo shop together to get the word 'friend' tattooed in a Japanese character on their arms. Friend goes in for her tattoo, housemate waits, looking at the catalogue.

It's housemate's turn under the needle. While she has been waiting she has decided not to get 'friend'. Instead she gets 'soup'. She saw it in the catalogue and thought it would be funny.

Friend was very pissed off.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That'd be one of those stupid reasons...