Boards of Canada

Kruder & Dorfenmeister

Centro-matic

Duster

Tosca

Medeski, Martin & Wood

Masters of the Hemisphere

The Shins

are some of the ones I like, in addition to some already listed here ie American Analog set, Apples in Stereo, Grandaddy what have you.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Tosca

Medeski, Martin & Wood

dude, you rock, they are awesome!
  • Reply 63 of 79
    I got on this thread late but here are a few

Rock?:

Mr. Bungle

Cibo Matto

Atari Teenage Riot

Black Box Recorder

The Blue Meanies

Bal-Sagoth

The Fvcking Champs

Combustible Edison

The Cramps

Madness

The Mars Volta

Misfits

Mogwai

Pain

The Pogues

The Red Elvises

Reverend Horton Heat

Secret Chiefs 3

Servotron

Godspeed You Black Emperor

Rap:

KOOL KEITH - the baddest mc

Aceyalone

Swollen Members

Binary Star

Jurrasic 5

Arsonists

Brand Nubian

Motion Man

Gangstarr

Dalek

Jedi Mind Tricks

Lootpack
  • Reply 64 of 79
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Oh, might as well throw in a few:

The Fall - Mark E. Smith is a genius

Perforated Head - A great band I used to do shows with that should've made it big time.

Kelly Township - Another band I used to share the bill with that definitely deserved a better fate.

The Deadmilkmen - These guys used to put on a great show and their greatest hits is a solid disc.

House of Love - There greatest hits still gets spins on my itunes

Imperial Teen - Check em out you'll dig it.

Gogol Bordello - They're on tour now. Artman, they play Philly in like a week or something.

I'll second Mooney Suzuki

Mercury Rev - Don't dig their first two albums much anymore, but Desereter's Songs is great chamber pop.

I loved all the Madchester bands like Inspiral Carpets, Happy Mondays, the Charlatans and The Stone Roses, but a cd from that era that I'm still trying to find after losing the cassette is The High

Could think of more, but those definitely come to mind easily.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    I'm really interested in finding some good French music. I've heard some of Edith Piaf's music as well as Francis Cabrel (hooray for music downloading) but I'd be interested in other groups. Anyway, thanks for any suggestions!
  • Reply 66 of 79
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Totally forgot Murphy's Law - There first two albums are available on one cd. A definite must if you are into hardcore punk.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

I'm really interested in finding some good French music. I've heard some of Edith Piaf's music as well as Francis Cabrel (hooray for music downloading) but I'd be interested in other groups. Anyway, thanks for any suggestions!

Not solely French but try Pink Martini. Also, Daft Punk and MC Solaar for some electronic and rap. BTW French rap is fun to listen to even if you don't speak the language. An old roommate of mine used to listen to the stuff constantly but I'm drawing a blank now on all the names.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

[ . . . actually, there's some stuff on the new album that's so damn thick; I don't know if I've ever heard anything so thick. It was like Charles Ives on speed, driving an 18 wheeler, and crashing into a tank of nitro glycerine. [/B]

I love Charles Ives!!!! One of my favorite composers, and those guys from Dream Theater can really play their instruments well, although I find their music a little contrived....sort of complex for complexity's sake.

I went and saw the most awesome band recently. The California Guitar Trio...I think they are still on tour so if they come round your area...go see! They are a trio, all playing acoustic guitars. And they tackle everything from bluegrass to Beethoven, and their own original material as well. One of the showstoppers was an amazing version of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" (a classic rock mini-"opus" from the 1970s). I've listened to more guitarists than I can count...and these 3 can run rings around most of the big famous names without breaking a sweat or a string. Best $25 I have spent for awhile!
  • Reply 69 of 79
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mass Appeal

Not solely French but try Pink Martini. Also, Daft Punk and MC Solaar for some electronic and rap. BTW French rap is fun to listen to even if you don't speak the language. An old roommate of mine used to listen to the stuff constantly but I'm drawing a blank now on all the names.

Cool. Thanks
  • Reply 70 of 79
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

Totally forgot Murphy's Law - There first two albums are available on one cd. A definite must if you are into hardcore punk.

They were just up here to play a show with my friend's band, those guys are party machines.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

I love Charles Ives!!!! One of my favorite composers, and those guys from Dream Theater can really play their instruments well, although I find their music a little contrived....sort of complex for complexity's sake.

A lot of Type-A's really love to hate Dream Theater for this reason, and some of their earlier stuff lacked a sense of togetherness (Metropolis part 1). As far as I can tell, the complexity part is just "because they can," and I've always been a huge supporter of pushing limits. Sometimes they get it right ? sometimes they don't ? but when they do it's killer. On that note, it's the only rock I know that's pretty much impossible to get work done to, or even drive while listening. There's a lot of Bach like this, and Ives definitely falls into this boat too.

I've heard a lot of the sensationalized indie instrumental bands (can't think of the names right now, but there are about 4 or 5 good examples). The music isn't as engaging as Dream Theater or LTE. I like them all, as well as anything else long and/or instrumental, so don't get me wrong.

I think one of the bands I'm thinking of might be "Godspeed you black emperor." If anyone here can think of some others I'd be quite grateful.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Van Hunt; Eclectic and adventurous "soul" music.

Cafe Tacuba; Beach Boys meet Queen in a Tequila throw down in a Mexican bar.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarkL

Then there is:

Hybrid

Front Line Assembly (Delerium side project).

Theivery Corporation.

Front 242. Weird but good.

Aim. Semi-chill.

You have it backwards... Delerium is a side project of Frontline Assembley. Frontline had about 5 albums or so out before Delerium's first release (which is VERY different than the newer Delerium, stuff).

Front 242 is amazing too. IF you vever get the chance see the live.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Hell Yes. Soul Coughing are great. Speaking of great NYC bands, Firewater is worth checking out. Tod A (previously of Cop Shoot Cop) is friggin awesome on stage.

Cop Shoot Cop! That's a name I haven't heard in a while... I'll look up that stuff.

Another NYC band was ChemLab... oh man that's some good music.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mass Appeal

I got on this thread late but here are a few

Rock?:

Mogwai

Godspeed You Black Emperor

If you've heard of those have you heard of explosions of the sky too? if not you're really missing out cuz they rock, but I bet you have . Blue Meanies? I remember when they used to do the stop racism tour with alkaline trio like every year that thing still going around?
  • Reply 76 of 79
    mattjohndrow,

Hehe... The Aquabats rock! I would not have guessed you like them.

So given them are you into variations of ska?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    British Sea Power are insane, but I love them anyway.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

[B]A lot of Type-A's really love to hate Dream Theater for this reason, and some of their earlier stuff lacked a sense of togetherness (Metropolis part 1).

I can't really speak for Type As!

I love Charles Ives' music (and a whole bunch of other 'complex' music) which is complex because it is the only way of expressing the way the muse was talking to the composer. There is a whole of 'complex' music out there which uses lots of notes and density to make 'so-so' compositions sound spectacular....at first hearing that is. I'm not dissing Dream Theater here....they have written soime really interesting stuff for sure..and perform it in a flawless fashion...and yes...ofr course some of their stuff doesn't work ....but when one is taking musical risks, and not being safe, predictable and market driven (like 99.5% of everything thats bombarding the public on radio and tv), some of it flies and some of it flops. It's the nature of the beast.

Quote:

As far as I can tell, the complexity part is just "because they can," and I've always been a huge supporter of pushing limits.

There's a moral in that one which not only applies to music, but to almost all human activity, most especially if the intent is questionable:

"Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should"

(lyric from a recent king crimson tune "facts of life"

Quote:

Sometimes they get it right ? sometimes they don't ? but when they do it's killer. On that note, it's the only rock I know that's pretty much impossible to get work done to, or even drive while listening. There's a lot of Bach like this, and Ives definitely falls into this boat too.

To get the most out of any of this music, it demands attention. If used as "wallpaper" it doesn't work as such...it's always trying to hack its way into my sphere of attention...... like....LISTEN!!!!! Trying to listen to Balinese or Javanese gamelan, for example, while not being 100% attentive is most unsatisfactory.

Quote:

I've heard a lot of the sensationalized indie instrumental bands (can't think of the names right now, but there are about 4 or 5 good examples). The music isn't as engaging as Dream Theater or LTE. I like them all, as well as anything else long and/or instrumental, so don't get me wrong.

I get this all the time...someone tells me,..."you gotta get this album by xxxxxx or yyyyyy"...etc...and I do...or...and "there's this awesome band playing at xxx ot yyyy tonight...." and I will dutifully show up, hoping to have that wonderful sensation of shivers running up and down my spine which only comes with really special musical moments and connections......and almost always, its yawn, yawn , yawn...heard that before...yet more 4th-hand diluted youth-culture music from a bye-gone age.

Does't anyone dare play anything to really challenge the listener, in the 'rock' idiom,...(outside of staid, academic, intellectual music circles)?

btw....I know Tool are pretty wellknown...but they are not a household name...I love that band! ... just trying to dispel the popular notion that all Tool fans are 15-30 year old, male, and sporting goatees....