Opposite of Negative

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I would actually like to see a true list of the achievements of this president.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

you didn't define what should be construed as good... i mean some people might actually think that having shiny, metallic, arsenic ridden hair is a good thing...

Well, really thought the smart people in AO could get gist of what I meant. You guys are smarter that what some of these posts make you out to be.

Come on now. Be good.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Sept 11 2001: The president reads children a story about a goat 15 minutes after knowing the first plane hit.

This just in. Rudy Giuliani was eating breakfast when the first plane hit. Lets lynch him!
  • Reply 44 of 118
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The first couple months after 9/11 were definitely the best for Bush. As someone who was vaguely discontented with Bush taking office despite losing the popular vote in the 2000 election, I still displayed a lot of patriotism and support for Bush. I even recall saying, numerous times, that I was actually glad Bush was president, because I thought Gore wouldn't have handled the situation as well.

My opinions have changed quite a bit since then, and so has the world landscape. But since this is a thread about nice things, I'll save those for later.

NaplesX, since there are a number of liberals stepping forward and saying what they have liked about the Republican administration, why not tell us what you think the Democrats have done right in the past four years? I kind of prefer this type of thread to the typical constant political bickering present in all the other ones. It's kind of like a game of political truth-or-dare.
  • Reply 45 of 118
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Here is the score so far:

Out of aprox. 33 posts,

3 maybe 4 are good things that this government had don in the last four years, excluding my own posts thus far.

That leaves about 27 posts of sarcasm and snide remarks directed at GWB or his admin.

I will remind everyone that the total number of lawmakers in both the legislative and administrative branches have been virtually equal, politically, throughout the last four years.

Surely there is some good this country has done. Dig a little deeper, if you have to.

Now maybe that 3 or 4 number is about all that can rightfully be counted

Seems that that might actualy be a possibility

Hm . . . I'll dig deeper soon . . . to bed now though

So, positive things: making Americans realize humility . . . . ?
  • Reply 46 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

NaplesX, since there are a number of liberals stepping forward and saying what they have liked about the Republican administration, why not tell us what you think the Democrats have done right in the past four years?

A small number but a quick one about what the other side has done right? Not exactly in the last 4 years but no body can campaign like billy clinton could.
  • Reply 47 of 118
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    OK, Naples, I'll make more of an effort.

I googled for "bush accomplishments"

I had to skip the top 5 hits or so, as they seemed to be what you would call "Bush-bashing" sites. Finally, I found what is probably a very non-biased source here:

http://www.boycottliberalism.com/Bush.htm

Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since September 2003.

There were lots of fairly lightweight items on this detailed list, such as:
    Quote:

President Bush proclaims National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day.

President Bush proclaims National Crime Victims' Rights Week.

President Bush proclaims National Day of Prayer.

President Bush signs Medal of Valor Bill.

President Bush Signs World War II Memorial Bill.

President Bush proclaims Parents' Day.

President Bush Signs wildfire bill into law.

But here is one that I hope you will find as worthy of mention as I do:
    Quote:

President Bush signs Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003

• Reply 48 of 118
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Well, he's good at proclaiming days.
  • Reply 49 of 118
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    To mention another obvious one, Bush overthrew the Taliban with broad regional and global support. Good riddance, and well done.

[snide]Too bad we can't add "formation of a stable, democratic Afghani government that is leading a prosperous, free Afghanistan into the modern world".[/snide]
  • Reply 50 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So would I. Perhaps there's a reason why none has been presented?

I ran across something like that on the whitehouse.gov site a while back.

But that really was not the reason I started this discussion. I did it mainly to see if we could collectively remember anything positive and good this GOVERNMENT did in the last 4 years.
  • Reply 51 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

This thread is not scientific. How can you just list good things - even if you found a thousand then if there were 10,000 bad things you didn't notice it wouldn't be good would it ? It would actually be bad.

And what about the moral equivalence ? Even if you found 100 good things and only 1 bad then that assumes the 'things' are equal. If the 'one bad thing' was a propensity to eat people a lot, listen to U2 and/or wear a medallion and a chest wig then clearly the evils far outweigh the good.

Purely in the interests of balance and objective inquiry we need to get some hardcore bashing in this thread.....

Why when you can just hit the back botton and be greeted with about a thousand bash bush threads.

That was the idea here, to get off that superhighway for a bit.
  • Reply 52 of 118
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Can we have a thread called, "All the good things Saddam did" too?

I'll start: create a secular, modern, educated state with women's rights in the Middle East.
  • Reply 53 of 118
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Can we have a thread called, "All the good things Saddam did" too?

I'll start: create a secular, modern, educated state with women's rights in the Middle East.

Again, humor, particularly south park for characterizing him and including him in their movie and many TV episodes.
  • Reply 54 of 118
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Tied to WR's post, he also served as inspiration for Wesley Willis. I can't count how many people he declared can "really whoop Saddam Hussein's ass."
  • Reply 55 of 118
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Quote:

Out of aprox. 33 posts,

3 maybe 4 are good things that this government had don in the last four years, excluding my own posts thus far.

That leaves about 27 posts of sarcasm and snide remarks directed at GWB or his admin.

Those haters...they must be choking down all the positive stuff that immediately springs to mind and trying really hard to think of bad things to say.

Hmmm....something positive...

Someone I know was at an event last year that was attended by the Bushes. He told me how he noticed George keeping an eye out for Laura Bush the entire evening. Apparently Laura was talking to a small group of people on one side of the room while George was talking to several heads of state and VIPs on the other. The people who were talking with Laura drifted off and for a minute she was left on her own with nobody to talk to. George noticed this from the other side of the room, excused himself and went to get her.

I don't know what that says about George W Bush as President of the United States...but I think it says something good about him as a person and a husband.
  • Reply 56 of 118
    Mussollini made the Italian trains run on time.

Genghis Khan was a pioneer in elephant endurance testing.

Hitler was responsible for the Volkswagen and awesome German autobahns.

Stalin increased productivity of the USSR 1000-fold.
  • Reply 57 of 118
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Should I invoke Godwin's Law then and close the thread? It's going nowhere fast.
  • Reply 58 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Should I invoke Godwin's Law then and close the thread? It's going nowhere fast.

Yep. My bad.
  • Reply 59 of 118
    Let's expand to the last four years of the Clinton administration.

Is there anything good that our government (the whole federal government) has done in the last 8 years?
  • Reply 60 of 118
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Let's expand to the last four years of the Clinton administration.

Is there anything good that our government (the whole federal government) has done in the last 8 years?

He didn't start a war with iraq