Tell me about iSight and live recording, please.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I do not have an iSight yet. Nor, is it likely that I will ever use it for video chat. I have no friends who use a Mac. (Apple really needs to open that up if the iSight is going to be relevant.)

I am wanting to record Church services, lectures, special programs and the like. I have a video camera but it is somewhat large. I also like the idea of tapeless, direct recording. I know that the best software for the purpose is probably this one:

http://www.ivezeen.com/

What I need to know is this. Is the iSight a feasible camcorder replacement in such situations, lack of zoom notwithstanding. Or is the image and sound just too choppy to be useful? I like the size and portability of the iSight as I would only use it with a notebook. But never having used one, I have no idea. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'm sorry if I misinformed but I don't have a newsletter. I ran across this idea quite by accident and I was intrigued by it too. Until a few days ago, I didn't even know it was possible. Now I just want to know if it is feasible. If so, I will be buying an iSight.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
  • Reply 4 of 5
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    I am at work, so I didn't bother clicking on the link...

Quality of video and audio using iSight is very nice. It is not a substitute for a camcoder. Even with the best compression enabled, storage of live video eats away your disk space.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    A/V quality is quite good but depends on your situation. that is if you don't have enough light or a lot of noise near the microphone you should probably use some pro-solution. Otherwise you can get realy cool movies using software like Gcam (freeware). You'll have to play a little bit with the settings, but it's quite easy to find a good setup.

You can even easily broadcast your liveevents using Quicktime Broadcaster (you'll most likely have to lower settings here).

If you want to record in DV use a 7200 rpm drive. the 4200rpm drive of my Rev.A Powerbook jumps some frames every 30 seconds or so, but it is still very usable (I think a minute of DV has about 500MB, correct me if I'm wrong). More RAM will also help.