Embedded movies in PowerPoint 2004 or Keynote?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm currently having quite an annoying time keeping QuickTime movies linked to the appropriate slides in a series of PowerPoint presentations I'm designing in PowerPoint v.X. I'm working on my presentations both on my G5 at home and on my iBook. After I make changes on one computer I then upload the new version to a WebDAV server set up for me through WebCT at my university. Now, my plan is to then copy the updated files off of the server to whichever computer I wasn't working on. I'll then keep doing this back-and-forth until my lectures are finished.

Now, if Apple made remote iDisk syncing work with any WebDAV server I'd be a happy man and I have no problems. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, and when I copy my files from WebDAV to a Mac after edits have been made on another Mac, if there is a QuickTime movie involved, the movie can never be found. Annoyingly, PowerPoint's dialogue box that pops up to let you hunt down the movie never lets you actually select a .mov file.

So (finally!) my question is this: does anyone out there know if PowerPoint 2004 allows you to embed a QuickTime movie as part of a saved .ppt file? Conversely, I see that Keynote offers this feature: how well does it work and what happens when you export a Keynote presentation with an embedded movie as a .ppt file? Also, is Keynote's implementation of embedded files any different that the PowerPoint option of saving a presentation as a PowerPoint Movie, and is this the only way to embed a QuickTime in a PowerPoint slide?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

Conversely, I see that Keynote offers this feature: how well does it work and what happens when you export a Keynote presentation with an embedded movie as a .ppt file?

I'm not very experienced with this, but last week I had a Keynote presentation that I wanted to send to my lab partners. I imported the presentation into PowerPoint, but the movies did not run well. It looked like they were running at 10X the speed. I didn't try to troubleshoot this.

I also did this sometime last year. From what I can remember, the Keynote to PowerPoint export makes a separate folder with all the drawings and movies.

That's about all I can say unless you have specific questions.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

I'm currently having quite an annoying time keeping QuickTime movies linked to the appropriate slides in a series of PowerPoint presentations I'm designing in PowerPoint v.X. I'm working on my presentations both on my G5 at home and on my iBook. After I make changes on one computer I then upload the new version to a WebDAV server set up for me through WebCT at my university. Now, my plan is to then copy the updated files off of the server to whichever computer I wasn't working on. I'll then keep doing this back-and-forth until my lectures are finished.

Now, if Apple made remote iDisk syncing work with any WebDAV server I'd be a happy man and I have no problems. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, and when I copy my files from WebDAV to a Mac after edits have been made on another Mac, if there is a QuickTime movie involved, the movie can never be found. Annoyingly, PowerPoint's dialogue box that pops up to let you hunt down the movie never lets you actually select a .mov file.

So (finally!) my question is this: does anyone out there know if PowerPoint 2004 allows you to embed a QuickTime movie as part of a saved .ppt file? Conversely, I see that Keynote offers this feature: how well does it work and what happens when you export a Keynote presentation with an embedded movie as a .ppt file? Also, is Keynote's implementation of embedded files any different that the PowerPoint option of saving a presentation as a PowerPoint Movie, and is this the only way to embed a QuickTime in a PowerPoint slide?

I presume that you are trying to store the QuickTime movie on the server, but keep your PowerPoint file local. No wonder it doesn't work. PowerPoint can't read your mind. It doesn't know that the .mov file that you access from one computer is the same .mov file that you access from another. Keep the whole presentation on your server.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I presume that you are trying to store the QuickTime movie on the server, but keep your PowerPoint file local. No wonder it doesn't work. PowerPoint can't read your mind. It doesn't know that the .mov file that you access from one computer is the same .mov file that you access from another. Keep the whole presentation on your server.

No, actually I'm trying to transfer both the QuickTimes and the PowerPoints to and from the server. Basically, I want to have local copies to work on and use the server as a go-between to transfer everything.

After playing around all morning, it looks like the best way for me to do this is to save the media files in a Disk Image. When I do this, and transfer it back and forth, PowerPoint seems to retain the proper file path.