PDA's what are they good for?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok,

I got my hands on a Palm Tungsten C and I do like it but it seems really unnessasary. I have a G5 and a 12inch PB. I take my PB almost everywhere so I am not sure I need the Palm. I use it to sync my contacts, address book etc... I have also used it to check my e-mail wirelessly but I can do that with my PB. What are some cool things that I can do with this thing or should I just sell it on E-Bay?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I personally find it a bit awkward walking down the street with a laptop looking for a hotspot that's why I just ordered a wifi enabled pda...

I also prefer ebooks to regular books and always have my palm (Zire 71) with me on trips for that purpose.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    Good points! Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 56
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ironically, this gadget geek prefers a pad of paper and a pen. Cheap, incredible access speed, infinite battery life, great expandability...

Sync contacts? Sure, takes about 10 minutes every few weeks. This certainly seems like less than the ammount of time people spend on getting PDAs to do what they do.

My paper pad is even more likely to be returned when lost, unlike a valuable gadget.

</wet blanket mode>
  • Reply 4 of 56
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Portability is big on my list too. Expansion slots provide a lot of ways to boost it usefulness. GPS navagation (which I know you can get for Pocket PCs, so you should be able to for a Palm as well) I think is great expansion for your PDA, in-car or just walking the streets. Camera, Voice Recorder and so on...

C.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea I always carry my powerbook around at work so I can look up one phone number when I need to call someone.

I'm back to pad and pen right now but I'm still eyeing a T3.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    I looked at a Zire 72 today and it seemed pretty cool but input is still the limiting factor on mass adoption. To support the input, editing, and expandibility, they become complicated and expensive.

It's kind of off topic but imagine a future iPod with some of the Zire 72's features.

-Bluetooth Addressbook and Notes syncing

-Built in utilitarian camera

-Photo viewing and rotating

-Microphone for quick notes

Simplicity is they key. PDA's tend to attack simplicity from the top down where as the iPod can attack features from the bottom up.

Off the soap box now
  • Reply 7 of 56
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They still have that stupid graffiti don't they? It seems like Palms haven't changed since they first came out 6 or 7 years ago. When will you just be able to write without that damn Graffiti! I tried a Palm once and wanted to stab it to death with the stylus. I have a 12" PowerBook too and take it everywhere. What can a Palm do that an iPod and a PowerBook can't. Any day now...iPod with handwriting recognition...you know it's coming!
  • Reply 8 of 56
    I also have a Sony Clie UX50 to play with. I have no idea how to connect it to my Powerbook because all the software looks like it's PC!!!
  • Reply 9 of 56
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I also have a Sony Clie UX50 to play with. I have no idea how to connect it to my Powerbook because all the software looks like it's PC!!!

I think you need Missing Sync to sync with the Mac. Sony never makes their Clies Mac compatible.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Ok, I paid for the stupid "Missing sync" the sony really sucks. Of course the Microsoft product (Entourage) is a factor.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    the sony's are vastly superior to any other palm handheld, cept maybe the treo 600, imo

I'm so bored of the palm os though...

wait a ux50..how could you possibly say that sucks!
  • Reply 12 of 56
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I had a Palm V for half a year before losing it. It taught me to use a calendar. After the Palm experience I got more organized and for the first time really used a paper calendar. (also found it better than the Palm in many ways)
  • Reply 13 of 56
    I honestly think that the Palm Tungsten C is better. The screen is the same size yet seems bigger. Sony has a slower processor. 400MHz to 123MHz. And the Sony has some real issues syncing with the Mac. I am attracted to the form factor though. It is much easier to put the Sony in my pocket without fear of wrecking the screeen.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    I don't know which to get. Actually I have them both but one has to go back today. I differ your judgement people!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    different devices for different needs, I guess.

hmm I never had a problem syncing with my NX, entourage, palmdesktop, itunes, iphoto, mounts the mem stick
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I don't know which to get. Actually I have them both but one has to go back today. I differ your judgement people!

well do you want stereo audio to headphones? The palm only has mono, and no built in mp3 player. I would check cliesource.com if their is any probs with mac syncing with the sony, cuz if it cant sync i don't think you would want to keep it.

palm looks more business orientated, sony looks more fun.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    I have a ipod mini so mp3 is not needed.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    I think you kinda don't need either unless you really want it. I think most of your need would be satisfied by a good phone.

but i would get the sony but thats me
  • Reply 19 of 56
    grey_maxgrey_max Posts: 8member
    I have a 15" powerbook. It does all my heavy duty graphics and web/email stuff.

But when it comes to PIM stuff like datebook and phone address and telephone numbers, nothing beats the speed and simplicity of a PDA.

I use a Sony Clie NX70V. It has a built-in CF slot that's hacked to use CF memory and analog modem cards (the CF slot's original use is only for a SONY branded Wi-Fi card, other brands of Wi-Fi cards will not work, kinda sneaky of Sony eh?)

I also have a 1GB CF card in it. Useful for putting 10 albums worth of songs/MP3s in it. CF cards are way cheaper than Sony's memory sticks. In this respect, my PDA is also my MP3 player. iPod is cool but I don't need to carry another device around when I have my Powerbook, phone, digital camera, PDA. And I don't need 20GB worth of music to carry around at all times. 1GB is more than enough for me.

A PDA is only as useful when a user puts the time and effort to use it; eg, like putting every single note/phone number you come across so that when you need it, it's avaliable. Many people believe the PDA will help them get organised, only to leave it in the drawer after a few weeks.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    deunandeunan Posts: 106member
    pda's aren't good for anything, ugh... get a small laptop... pda's are as pointless and worthless as camera-phones

deunan