My PB15 is making squeeky noise!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It didn't start until after I had it for a few months, and then it was only every once in a while. But now it's almost constant! It's a high-pitched squeeky-like noise that is kinda hard to ignore. It's not constant, rather it seems to react to what I'm doing on the Powerbook.

As far as I can tell it's coming from the middle or just to the right of the middle of the keyboard.

Please tell me I don't have to send it in to Apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eudaimic

It didn't start until after I had it for a few months, and then it was only every once in a while. But now it's almost constant! It's a high-pitched squeeky-like noise that is kinda hard to ignore. It's not constant, rather it seems to react to what I'm doing on the Powerbook.

As far as I can tell it's coming from the middle or just to the right of the middle of the keyboard.

Please tell me I don't have to send it in to Apple!

The fan perhaps? Is this only under fairly heavy processor/disk load?

The fans in Apple laptops often do give a very light whining noise... it's just one of those things.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    eudaimiceudaimic Posts: 44member
    Hmm. Well it COULD be the fan, but I don't think so. When the PB comes under heavy use a fan kicks in that's fairly noisy, it's not that.

I doubt it's fan.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eudaimic

Hmm. Well it COULD be the fan, but I don't think so. When the PB comes under heavy use a fan kicks in that's fairly noisy, it's not that.

I doubt it's fan.

Well, that's definitely weird... the only other normal thing I can think of is the hard drive heads parking. Hmm.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    eudaimiceudaimic Posts: 44member
    It's interesting to note that it's louder when the power plug is in!

I'll see if I can get a recording of it later today.