Superdrive

Applecare

in a 14 inch ibook

$1897

in a 12 inch Powerbook

$1928

in a 12 inch Powerbook EXCEPT NO Superdrive

$1588

I'm struggling with whether to go for the larger screen and better durability of ibook, or faster better powerbook... and also whether to save $350 and forego superdrive and just do 12 inch powerbook... it will be awhile b4 i can get a video camera anyway....

advice?

Thanks,

PoorStarvingGradStudent

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    wha??

the superdrive should only be $200

you from canada or something?

are those EDU prices?

if you are a registered student ANYWHERE (higher ed only) you are eligible for student discounts-about 10% off

oh and DON't buy ram through apple... stick with the 256 stock and you can find a 512 NAME BRAND stick for the same price that apple charges for an extra 256

edit: oh and if you are going to forgo the superdrive, why not look at a 12" iBook as well?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    check out this thread for some good discussion on the subject
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

wha??

the superdrive should only be $200

you from canada or something?

are those EDU prices?

if you are a registered student ANYWHERE (higher ed only) you are eligible for student discounts-about 10% off

oh and DON't buy ram through apple... stick with the 256 stock and you can find a 512 NAME BRAND stick for the same price that apple charges for an extra 256

edit: oh and if you are going to forgo the superdrive, why not look at a 12" iBook as well?

Hey,

My school gets special bundles through some place other than apple at about $150 savings, thus the excellent price on the powerbook w/o superdrive . But, they have limited options, and don't do ibooks at all. The other two prices are standard apple educational pricing. That is why their is the big jump in price for getting the powerbook with superdrive.

Once I outfit a 12" ibook with add'l RAM, HD space, bluetooth, airport, and applecare, the 12" powerbook w/o superdrive really seems like the better deal.

Thanks for posting

PSGS
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    the ibook is the way to go.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I recently bought a 14" 640mb Combo iBook and I'm very happy with it. I preferred it over the 12" mainly because of the screen size. Didn't need superdrive as I have it in me iMac. The colour is less than practical for an 'on-the-move' computer as discussed here but other than that it's great. Looks so kewl 8)
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Pretty much everything has been said already. 14" iBook is for suckers, take either the small iBook or the Powerbook, both with minimum memory. If you can't think of a reason you need Superdrive now, chances are you won't need it at all. There are always CDs, external hard drives and usually a network as well. I lived three years in a row without *any* removable media drive in my PC, after I had a CD-RW drive that went almost without use.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Go for the PB - it is definitely worth it. The superdrive is nice, but if you don't need it now, hold off on it and save your money. Also, listen to the other replies - go with the standard 256 MB RAM and then buy name brand RAM from Kingston or Crucial as it is really a lot cheaper than buying it from Apple.