Ts + New Displays

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

Rid of the G5s that use ADC in order to start selling the ones that rely on DVI only.

But the new G5s still have ADC. Same video boards, in fact (memory bump I believe is the only difference).
  • Reply 42 of 98
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

You don't know anything about Apple upcoming products unless your name is Steven P. Jobs.

"This time next year we will be at 3GHz."

So it looks like nobody knows anything about Apple's upcoming products.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    Either that or the man on the stage wasn't the *real* Steve Jobs... hold the phone, I'm getting my tinfoil hat!
  • Reply 44 of 98
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

There are some interesting variations with this rumor, that together suggest a strategy shift.

1) DVI;

2) Physical controls on the monitor;

3) Full adjustability.

Why would you do all this? Because Apple has noticed that enough PC users are snapping up their Cinema Displays that they're going to liberate the display line from its current role as a value-add for PowerMacs.

DVI makes it usable with everything. Physical controls allow the monitor to be configured without a Mac (control on the Mac will still be better integrated, but currently no configuration is possible unless you have one). Full adjustability hugely increases the desirability of the monitors generally — the only monitors with similar adjustability either cost a fortune or require cumbersome and expensive mounts.

I have been debating this for some time. It doesnt make sense to offer an exceptional display that is astheticlly beautiful and then say that only works with ADC. So someone who doesnt have ADC capabilities and wants a particular Apple display then has to shell out additional funds for the ADC to DVI converter. I think it makes much more sense to offer a monitor that is DVI to expand the monitor sales to different markets. This also offers people who use PC's every day a taste of the Apple experience (in terms of their product design and elegance). This may not generate huge sales numbers but it should certainly increase the numbers to a more palatable level then where they currently reside.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    When do folks think we can expect to see these new displays? Apple's $500-off-23"-with-G5 Brilliant Savings promo runs until the 26th of June, which is two days before WWDC starts...

Will Apple release them before the promo is over if inventory is sufficently low?
  • Reply 46 of 98
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

When do folks think we can expect to see these new displays? Apple's $500-off-23"-with-G5 Brilliant Savings promo runs until the 26th of June, which is two days before WWDC starts...

Will Apple release them before the promo is over if inventory is sufficently low?

I've got a feeling that's one thing that we'll definitely see released at WWDC. Steve J. is gonna want to demo the new G5 with one of those giant 30" displays we've heard about. I can imagine the bake off now.
  • Reply 47 of 98
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

Rid of the G5s that use ADC in order to start selling the ones that rely on DVI only.

But then why do the new powermacs still come with ADC?
  • Reply 48 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

But then why do the new powermacs still come with ADC?

Simple... they need to clear the inventory of ADC video cards. Besides, there are some "old" Cinema displays that will need to be cleared as well.
  • Reply 49 of 98
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Simple... they need to clear the inventory of ADC video cards.

Which would explain why the new towers don't come with anything new or special in the way of video cards. ADC will soon be a thing of the past.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

...DVI makes it usable with everything. Physical controls allow the monitor to be configured without a Mac (control on the Mac will still be better integrated, but currently no configuration is possible unless you have one). Full adjustability hugely increases the desirability of the monitors generally — the only monitors with similar adjustability either cost a fortune or require cumbersome and expensive mounts.

If the display acts as a FW or USB hub couldn't they have "hardware" controls for the monitor via USB with a driver to control it through software. That way all they need is to write the windows or Linux software so the monitor could be used by any computer.

Personally I think that the display presented in the rumor is absolutely pedestrian, I expect better from Apple's design team, but then again what do I know?
  • Reply 51 of 98
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    Here's a question:

If I buy a 2.5 G5 and an ADC display now, what are the limitations to upgrade the video card in the future (assuming a buy an ADC to DVI converter?).

In other words, what will the card specs have to be to be compatable?
  • Reply 52 of 98
    seanlseanl Posts: 39member
    (Sorry, I meant DVI to ADC converter.)
  • Reply 53 of 98
    math-suxmath-sux Posts: 11member
    What about dual inputs?

I find it hard to believe Apple would so abruptly abandon the ADC connection. It's the only thing out there like it, and works great for properly equipped Mac users. I also think that Apple has been getting closer and closer with the PC market. Apple is no longer offering products exclusively to Mac users - i.e. QuickTime, iTunes, iPod, AirPort Express, ETC. Not all PC users will make the hardware/OS switch, but many need good multimedia players, wireless networking products and even good LCD monitors. Apple is known for high quality, very cool looking products and to offer a competitively priced monitor that PC users could also use would be smart business.

I use both a Mac & PC side by side. I love DVI/VGA & VGA/Composite monitors because I can have dual screens on either machine with a flip of a switch on each monitor. The main reason I don't own an Apple display is that they only have a single input. If the new displays offer a dual input of ADC and DVI I'll buy one the day they're released!
  • Reply 54 of 98
    yomamayomama Posts: 21member
    I reviewed the pinouts of ADC and DVI connectors and it appears they are near identical with the exception of the higher voltage and addition of USB on the ADC.

http://www.ati.com/support/faq/pinouts.html

If they are functional equivalent video-wise, couldn?t Apple support both ADC and DVI on their new line of displays and thereby satisfy everyone?

For example, if Apple added separate power and USB input ports on the back of the display, all that would be needed is an inexpensive, passive ADC to DVI video adapter. Those who had Macs and preferred the uncluttered elegance of ADC would continue to use only the ADC cable. If, however, one owned a PC without ADC support, they could plug in a standard power cable, USB cable and attach the DVI video adapter to the end of the ADC cable.

I?m sure there are additional complications (like switching power chains) but is it feasible?
  • Reply 55 of 98
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by YoMaMa

If, however, one owned a PC without ADC support, they could plug in a standard power cable, USB cable and attach the DVI video adapter to the end of the ADC cable.

I?m sure there are additional complications (like switching power chains) but is it feasible?

You mean like this?
  • Reply 56 of 98
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    now you're talking, two 23" displays

• Reply 57 of 98
    When (if?) Apple does drop ADC, I hope very muchly that they'll implement a smart cable design that tries to replicate some of the added anti-clutter comfort of ADC without ADC.

For example, they can still have a single cable emerging from the back of the monitor that splits into DVI, USB, FireWire and power towards the end...
  • Reply 58 of 98
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

When (if?) Apple does drop ADC, I hope very muchly that they'll implement a smart cable design that tries to replicate some of the added anti-clutter comfort of ADC without ADC.

For example, they can still have a single cable emerging from the back of the monitor that splits into DVI, USB, FireWire and power towards the end...

I suggested this in a similar thread a month or two ago. The power can still optionally be provided by a PowerMac either through some new "Power Out" port or an ADC adapter (recombining power, video, and USB).
  • Reply 59 of 98
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
  • Reply 60 of 98
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member