Virtual Machine Program?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am looking for a program like Virtual PC but is for PPC. I want to test out linux for ppc, but in an environment like virtual pc with no emulation. Do you understand. Does it exist.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

I am looking for a program like Virtual PC but is for PPC. I want to test out linux for ppc, but in an environment like virtual pc with no emulation. Do you understand. Does it exist.

Perhaps if you rewrote your question in English, we would understand.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Be nice. Just because your reading comprehension isn't up to the task, don't be rude.

Nano: Your question isn't totally clear, but I'll give it a shot.

You're looking for a way of trying out Linux-on-PPC without having to reformat your drive, and by placing it in a 'sandbox' of sorts. That way you can try it, and just ditch it if you want later by deleting some files. Close?

If so, the best I can tell you is that you can create a dual-boot system. If you have a second hard drive, you can install Linux on that, and boot from it without ever touching your main drive. Then if you don't want to keep it, just reformat that drive, and voila. All gone.

You can do the same with one drive by making two partitions on it, one for Linux, one for MacOS X. My boot drive has three such partitions, one for 9.2, one for 10.2, one for 10.3. (It lets me upgrade between major releases without fear - I make a 100% clean installation, and then migrate from the old partition. So for Tiger, I'll reformat the 10.2 one, install a clean 10.4, and then migrate over. If anything goes wrong, I can still boot back into 10.3, untouched.)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

You're looking for a way of trying out Linux-on-PPC without having to reformat your drive, and by placing it in a 'sandbox' of sorts. That way you can try it, and just ditch it if you want later by deleting some files. Close?

Ya.

Could I do that dual boot thing with an external firewire drive.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    In that case, I'm afraid your option really is just to do the second boot partition approach, and yes, you can do that with an external FireWire drive. (And it really does make upgrading a snap, not to mention risk free.)

What you're asking for is actually precisely why MS bought Connectix's Virtual PC technologies - not for hosting Windows on the Mac, but for hosting *multiple* Windows OSs at once on one machine. Think servers - it allows one machine to have several related OSs running for multiple client needs.

It'd be kind of cool to have that for us, but what OSs would it run? MacOS X, and Linux. Whoo. :} Easier just to have the second boot partition.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Thanks for the info. I've been needing an external drive for a while and this gives me another reason to get one.