iMac G4? Powermac G5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
FACT: the G5 is on the way - it's been in Motorola and IBM's PPC roadmaps for ages and was supposed to have been finished by now.

FACT: a shareware developer has made reference to his software not working on the G5 (he could very well be yanking us).

FACT: Motorola is shipping the G4 Apollo.

A number of scenarios arise here:

1) the new iMacs will ship with G4s

2) the new iMacs ship with G3s, but the powermac line is divided between G5 and G4.

3) iMacs are G3 and powermacs are apollos.

Which scenario do you think is most likely? And why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think that as long as the G5s arrive the iMacs will have G4s.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'd say that Apple had better have those heating issues under control if they expect to release an LCD iMac G4 without a fan.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    LCD's don't make much heat. All they have to worry about is the processor and if it's an Apollo then it's supposed to be cooler than a 7450 and they use the 7450 in laptops!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    The Apollo G4 is rated at 23 watts at 1GHZ. That is a lot for a portable chip - and just OK for a fanless mac. No, the Apollo G4 is ment for a desktop mac with a fan. But, I hope to God that they have the G5's ready cause I need a new mac!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    G4 iMacs and G5 PowerMacs
  • Reply 6 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>LCD's don't make much heat. All they have to worry about is the processor and if it's an Apollo then it's supposed to be cooler than a 7450 and they use the 7450 in laptops!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think he meant that the LCD would add to the heat, rather, that the reduced size of the enclosure would not have the same convection cooling properties of the current iMac design.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    The cube was smaller than the iMac and cooled properly. They could easily implement a similar systems. Also have you ever heard of piezo cooling device?

Check this out:

<a href="http://news.uns.purdue.edu/html4ever/011213.Garimella.fans.html"; target="_blank">http://news.uns.purdue.edu/html4ever/011213.Garimella.fans.html</a>;

It doesn't use any moving parts, no heat on it's own, and no noise. It's not really OUT there yet but soon... and Apple would be one of the first to use it i bet.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>I think that as long as the G5s arrive the iMacs will have G4s.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the iMac will get a G4 regardless. There is no rule book to go by here.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I'm counting on the iMac being a G4, or no buy until it is...
  • Reply 10 of 22
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple_otaku:

<strong>

I think the iMac will get a G4 regardless. There is no rule book to go by here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right about that but I just don't see Apple having both with the same chip right now.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    al02al02 Posts: 11member
    If everyone is so sure we're getting G4 imacs, what is happening to the Sahara chips - could we be seeing 1ghz ibooks? :eek:
  • Reply 12 of 22
    IBM will just start shipping Sahara in 2002. iBook could get them in Tokyo if it's in the deck. Either way, Apple has no obligation to use the 750FX unless they have a contract with IBM.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    IBM will just start shipping Sahara in 2002. iBook could get them in Tokyo if it's in the deck. Either way, Apple has no obligation to use the 750FX unless they have a contract with IBM.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Rumors and expectations seem to be soaring beyond belief for this expo.

If Apple can not come through, they really need to make a statement denying false reports or the disappointment for MYSF will make the frustration with the last expo absolutely pale in comparison.

I know this has been said, but it seems more and more people are expecting greater and greater things.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    [quote]I know this has been said, but it seems more and more people are expecting greater and greater things.<hr></blockquote>

They will not show new PBs with a combo drive but they need 2h for the keynote. We have the right to expect great news, don't we?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I like the idea of the Power Mac having both the Apollo G4 and the G5 in the line up. This would give the consumer more choices.

The Professional: G5 1.2,1.4,1.6Ghz

The Home user/Gamer/Semi Professional: G4 933,1Ghz

The LCD iMacs' would be just as interesting;

Since we know that IBM has the new 750 G3 with speeds up to 1Ghz this would be very possible as long as it doesn't violate any agreements with MOT. If it does, we might see the G4 7440 like the 667, 733, 867. This would be also acceptable in my view. I think the herd mentality is starting to realize that the megahertz myth has some validity. So having a G4 in the iMac wouldn't mean it necessarily has to beat the gigahertz mark.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Problem is the 750FX will start at 700MHz and not get to 1GHz until middle of the year.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    <a href="http://www.spymac.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.spymac.com/</a>; has some schematic pictures that, although clumsy, look feasible.

I'm not sure how much I like the ideas, but it looks like (for once) there will be room enough for all the low-cost, non-miniaturized innards requisite for a consumer-priced machine. This is also why I do not buy many of the schemes that have it the size of a flat-panel monitor alone.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 19 of 22
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Mandricard, those SpyMac pictures already made the rounds here a few days ago. They weren't very popular, to say the least.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>LCD's don't make much heat. All they have to worry about is the processor and if it's an Apollo then it's supposed to be cooler than a 7450 and they use the 7450 in laptops!</strong><hr></blockquote>

ya know A friend of mine has the icebook and I was using it, I couldn't feel ANY heat on my lap

I was amazed, it was the first laptop I'd ever used that didn't leave me worried about my sperm count!

the Dell inspirion is an okay laptop(for a Pc, its got nothing on the tibook though)

but after using it for like 2 minutes my lap is in flames, that thing has a fan too!