Bad driving habits...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's better to street race than it is to shift lanes by turning your head, rather than using the side mirrors.

You're kidding, right? There is a reason there are "blind spots" on a car. Your mirrors can't see them. A combination of both are preferable, second to turning your head, next just using your mirrors, and finally not looking at all. The only trick is to keep driving straight when you are checking your blind spots.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

stop assuming that all Mac users are boys...

-Neø *very offended*

Neø, when I read your first thread, I thought you were a guy and your screen name was in reference to the Matrix movie. (Until you told us you wern't) I think that might be where most people are misled. I made the same mistake at first although I never posted it.

That and like 99% of the members the community here are male.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

The street is for driving, not racing.

We know you have a nice fast Mazda. Apparently faster at 1/2 throttle than most cars out there. Is it so important to you that you continually mention it?

Also, I take it that you have the ability to see the blind spot in your side mirrors? Those U-Haul mirrors must look a bit strange on an RX-7.

1) because sometimes I have to make use of that fact to indicate that an "irresponsible person" like me can have a fast car, occasionally street race, occasionally autox, and have a completely spotless driving record. If you have one ticket, you have more than I have. If you have one collision, you also beat me. Then rewind to when you were younger, imagine you had a superfluously fast car, and make your own conclusion about my driving ability and degree of responsibility.

2) I don't have a blind spot problem. I think you don't have your mirrors set up right. Cars and trucks are designed so that the three mirrors cover area behind the car, since it's bad form to look backwards.

I've met folks like you before. Overwhelmed and intoxicated with your own image of yourself as a mature, upstanding citizen. There are always a handful of autox'ers like that, but most are up for an impromptu street race when the time is appropriate. If there's one message I wish I could get across to america, it's that spontaneous moments of sillyness are worthwhile cultural additives.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

1) because sometimes I have to make use of that fact to indicate that an "irresponsible person" like me can have a fast car, occasionally street race, occasionally autox, and have a completely spotless driving record. If you have one ticket, you have more than I have. If you have one collision, you also beat me. Then rewind to when you were younger, imagine you had a superfluously fast car, and make your own conclusion about my driving ability and degree of responsibility.

Nope, we're even on tickets and collisions.

Can't say that I've had a 'superfluously fast' car - and there you go again about your car.

Quote:

2) I don't have a blind spot problem. I think you don't have your mirrors set up right. Cars and trucks are designed so that the three mirrors cover area behind the car, since it's bad form to look backwards.

No, they're not.

If you aren't looking to the side of your car when you change lanes I hope you're able to pound the impression of a motorbike out of your door at some point in time. Perhaps you're not able to keep the wheel straight when you turn your head. It's a common problem.

Somehow I don't see that ever being a problem, though. I'm certain that you're always in the fast lane, and the drivers side mirror is just a useless ornament.

(Hey, here's a tip ... take it off, less weight, less drag, and your 'superfluously fast' car will be slightly faster - if that's even possible. You'll probably want to remove the passenger mirror too, as I'm sure that the slight drag it causes will pull the car to the right and interfere with your hyperbolic ability to keep that car on the razor edge of performance.)

Quote:

I've met folks like you before. Overwhelmed and intoxicated with your own image of yourself as a mature, upstanding citizen. There are always a handful of autox'ers like that, but most are up for an impromptu street race when the time is appropriate. If there's one message I wish I could get across to america, it's that spontaneous moments of sillyness are worthwhile cultural additives.

Ohhh. This thread is filled with comedy gold. You're a reeeeeeeaaaalllly good driver aren't you! Do you ever engage in self-reflection?

Nah ... you're probably too busy calculating the perfect entry and exit points for the corners of your street so you can shave .2 seconds off your commute.

Still waiting for Neo.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Personally, I despise people who drive agressivley. Driving fast (when the conditions allow this) is one thing, but actively interfering with other drivers is something completely different...

The streets are already dangerous enough because of accidents caused by drivers making mistakes. This weekend, someone I briefly knew died in a tragic car accident: He wanted to help sombody else who had an accident, when another car crashed into the site (probably due to too much speed and aquaplaning). The result: two peoply dead, three heavily injured...
  • Reply 26 of 55
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Great thread. Neo-Nazi, Superfluously Fast Driver, and Upstanding Citizen going at it. I love this place.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Great thread. Neo-Nazi, Superfluously Fast Driver, and Upstanding Citizen going at it. I love this place.

-Neø
  • Reply 28 of 55
    hey audiopollution, you say that you are waiting for me to post something....

OK, i'm just gonna say that someone being a dangerous driver, depends on how they race. If they race for ten minutes straight at 9o+ Mph, they are more dangerous than the people that race off of a stoplight and do a 0 to 60 and then slow down to 45 Mph, which is the speed limit.

And especially with all the cops out on the streets right now, the only way to race without getting caught is the light-to-light kind...

AUDIO, THE NEXT TIME YOU CALL ME A 50 YEAR OLD MAN, I'M GONNA CALL YOU AN 80 YEAR OLD WOMAN....welll you already sound like one...

-Neø teh TROLL
  • Reply 29 of 55
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

AUDIO, THE NEXT TIME YOU CALL ME A 50 YEAR OLD MAN, I'M GONNA CALL YOU AN 80 YEAR OLD WOMAN....welll you already sound like one...

-Neø teh TROLL

Ah, reminds me of one of Bette Midler's Sophie Tucker jokes.

I was in bed last night with my boyfriend Ernie and he said to me, "Soph, when I am 80 years old I will marry myself a 20 year old girl. What do you think of that?"

And I said to him "Ernie, when I am 80 years old I will marry myself a 20 year old boy. And let me tell you something Ernie. 20 goes into 80 a helluva lot more than 80 goes into 20."

Boom boom.

(And its Neo the Nazi troll isn't it?)
  • Reply 30 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

hey audiopollution, you say that you are waiting for me to post something....

OK, i'm just gonna say that someone being a dangerous driver, depends on how they race. If they race for ten minutes straight at 9o+ Mph, they are more dangerous than the people that race off of a stoplight and do a 0 to 60 and then slow down to 45 Mph, which is the speed limit.

And especially with all the cops out on the streets right now, the only way to race without getting caught is the light-to-light kind...

If they're racing for 10 minutes, at 90 mph, then that's on what they call a highway. Unless, of course your city has 15 miles between lights or you've figured out the optimal speed to hit all greens. (Hmm. I think may have an idea that someone superfluous around here has done that already.)

If you want to drive 90 mph on the highway, go right ahead. (Avoid LA, as you'll rarely hit 20 mph.)

We're talking about street racing in a city. The number of events that can occur while driving in the city are much greater than on a highway where visibility is higher and there is no cross-traffic, jaywalkers, morons who open their car doors without checking, etc.

Do you think your Mom handled the situation well? Revenge warranted?

Quote:

-Neø teh TROLL

Reading comprehension marks aren't too high, I suppose. I proposed that you're a 40 year old man.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:

[snip]

Do you think your Mom handled the situation well? Revenge warranted?

[/snip]

i dunno, but there was a car behind us, and if my Mom would've braked, that car would've probably hit us. Maybe i got confused while explaining what happened, but what i was trying to say is that the car that was causing the trouble was turning in front of us, to make it impossible for us to go straight.

-Neø the troll
  • Reply 32 of 55
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Even if you don't have a problem with that setup (you probably pay enough attention when you drive, and always know in the back of your head what's in the blind spots), I suspect you actually do have blind spots. A motorcycle or a light post near the rear corner of the car might not be visible, if the side mirror is setup to point far away from the car's side, and the object is too close to be covered by the rearview mirror. Don't take my word for it; find a lamp post or other similar object, creep past it very close and very slowly. Use peripheral vision and the mirrors. See if it remains in your vision 100% of the time.

I just swivel the head. Another option would be to use small additional wide-angle mirrors that would show the blind spot, then there would be no need to swivel the head. Or do as you do, and be aware that there still is a blind angle large enough for objects smaller than a car.

I have read a book that mentioned this subject. It was written buy a guy named Curt Rich, who has apparently done a lot of racing in auto-x and other classes. He recommends your way of setting up the mirrors, but nowhere does he mention the *possibility* of turning your head to see the blind spots - this I find weird. The mini-mirror idea is from him.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Nope, we're even on tickets and collisions.

Can't say that I've had a 'superfluously fast' car - and there you go again about your car.

...snip...

Listen, hot stuff, all I'm trying to do is show that you're not morally gifted, nor especially responsible, just because you are stodgy. I think I did that adequately. Just accept that someone like me who drops the hammer at a stop light every once in a while is not necessarily a menace to society or an idiot.

But I kind of enjoy it when you push my buttons, so if you want to ramble back at me, feel free. I'll catch up with you tomorrow.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

i also admit to being a troll whenever i want to, but i started this thread was with a rather peaceful intention.

i like AppleInsider

-Neø

Search for some posts by a user named os10geek, and do everything you can not to sound remotely like any of those posts, particularly the ones with many emoticons.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Search for some posts by a user named os10geek, and do everything you can not to sound remotely like any of those posts, particularly the ones with many emoticons.

HaHa... o wish i was more like os10geek ;-)

yes its another meaningless post...

-PS
  • Reply 36 of 55
    was that dude banned?

-Neø
  • Reply 37 of 55
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

was that dude banned?

-Neø

i think he just doesn't use AI anymore or has a new name...;-)

-PS
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:

Listen, hot stuff, all I'm trying to do is show that you're not morally gifted, nor especially responsible, just because you are stodgy. I think I did that adequately. Just accept that someone like me who drops the hammer at a stop light every once in a while is not necessarily a menace to society or an idiot.

But I kind of enjoy it when you push my buttons, so if you want to ramble back at me, feel free. I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

Stodgy? You're a laugh riot.

You're also a menace to anyone who gets in your way when you 'drop the hammer'. With all that track time you have, you'd think that some responsibility would prevail when you have to deal with city traffic and pedestrians. All those Civics with sport mufflers and huge wings must make you nervous. The answer: puffery and showmanship!!

Maybe I am stodgy, though! I guess I don't see the need to show off and prove something to someone revving a sewing machine next to me.

I am surprised that you actually get stuck at intersections. Do you find red lights on purpose to practice your reaction time?
  • Reply 39 of 55
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Just accept that someone like me who [drives really irresponsibly and blatantly ignores the rules of the road] every once in a while is not necessarily a menace to society or an idiot.

I love it.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Thread about bad driving habits?

Here are some that that are most irritating, and present a real hazard:

1. Tailgaters...anyone who does that must be unaware that it is impossible for a driver to occupy the same space as the vehicle in front. If the car in front just touches the brakes, there's a damn good chance of a rear-ender, and it *will* be the tailgater's fault. IDIOTS!

2. People who join a freeway at 20 mph. Usually elderly drivers in Cadillacs, Lincoln town cars or similar, and to those drivers already thundering down the highway at 80mph, present a situation akin to encountering a large stationary object in the road when doing 60mph.

3. People who constantly change lanes on the freeway just to get that one extra car length ahead, on the mistaken notion that they will reach their destination appreciably faster to make a difference to their day.....