the latest firefox browser release

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i noticed a few days ago that mozilla released a new version of their firefox browser (0.9). i tried it once at 0.9 and thought it was fast, but that the interface did not match OS X and that it had a long load time. The newest version fits in with OS X better, though still not as well as Camino. It is still smokin' fast. It feels faster than safari and has outpaced it in load time in several armchair tests that I ran.

I really miss the bookmark handling of Camino (before version 0.8) and internet explorer. I used the sidebar mode a lot, and find that I can't do that in the latest camino release, safari, or firefox. Do i really need to see my bookmarks taking up the entire browser window? Goony.

Check it out:

http://www.mozilla.com

i think it is the first download on the page

here is a nice picture of four OS X browsers on my desktop. Notice how firefox actually fits in with OS X now. Well, not entirely. It still has ugly non-cocoa buttons for this post page.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Ya I just downloaded it today. I love it but I still like Safari slightly better. But as a second browser, Firefox blows everything out of the water. Internet Explorer? Whats that?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea I like it too. It seems fast.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    how do you not have omniweb in this list???

also 0.9 has a LOT of migration bugs.... so if you used history/bookmarks/passwords at all in an earlier version make sure you backup before you upgrade...

thread 1

thread 2

over 13 pages worth of bugs in the bug forum since the .9 release....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    also, have you tried the trick at speeding up safari? After doing this my safari runs even faster then firefox:

m O'Reilly:

Speed up Safari

May. 21, 2004 06:53 AM

This little hack is courtesy of macOSXhints.com and boy oh boy does it work great! The hack comes out of an interesting piece written by the Safari developer David Hyatt on the adding of timers to browsers. Apparently, in order to render obsolete flashing pages that can occurs when a webpage loads, (due to the client getting data from any number of sources; the stylesheet, various data sources, etc) web browsers are programmed with a little delay. The delay is, appropriately, conservative. But by adjusting a variable in the Safari preference file you can speed Safari?s delay time up.

To try this (after backing-up, etc.) go to the terminal after Safari has quit and type:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.25

The default time in the Safari preference time is 1.0. Now go ahead and launch Safari. Notice a difference? I sure did! As someone commented on macoxhints.com it was like getting a new machine. I wouldn't go that far, that is certainly feels like Safari had a double-shot espresso.

Original MacOSXHints:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article....739506#comments

This is what looks like the best modification:

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.25

Original post:

defaults write not quite right

Authored by: tinb on Thu, May 20 '04 at 04:16AM

Not quite right. You need to specify the "0.25" as a float value, not a string value which is the default. So

will do it right.

Edited:

To summarize:

You can speed up Safari by decreasing the delay in opening web pages. To do so:

1. Quit Safari

2. Open Terminal

3. Type:

Hit return, close Terminal

4. Restart Safari

The difference is quite noticeable.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Wow, thanks for the tip Ichiban_jay. That really makes a difference in Safari's speed.