Sound Optimization in iTunes?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What does the Sound Optimization feature (in the preferences panel) do in iTunes when burning a CD?

Also, is there anything to click on to make the EQ settings permanent into the CD tracks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

What does the Sound Optimization feature (in the preferences panel) do in iTunes when burning a CD?

Also, is there anything to click on to make the EQ settings permanent into the CD tracks?

I think you are referring to the "Use Sound Check" checkbox in the Burning tab?

Sound Check is found in the Audio tab, and it "automatically adjusts playback volume to the same level" for all the tracks if checked.

The checkbox in the Burn section will apply this to the burned tracks.

Making the EQ settings "take" on the burned CD is, as far as I can tell with the current version, not possible. But I do recall (mistakenly?) that earlier versions would do this. But that is inadvisable, since it might sound fine on one set of speakers and sound completely distorted on lesser speakers if you aren't careful.

Generally, using the EQ setting for the burn would be a bad thing. This is a casual-use app after all and not a pro mixing tool.

I can't say for sure about whether it currently does or not, can't justify making a coaster at the moment
  • Reply 2 of 2
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    No, that's not it. I was referring to a "Sound Enhancer" slider control that is located in the effects panel of the preferences pane (along with controls for sound check and crossfade).

What does it do? (...and oddly, my "iTunes help" seems to be broken)