Copy controlled CDs and iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can copy controlled CDs be ripped into iTunes so I load the songs on iPod? I'm just not willing to put my $ on some disc I may not be able to use on the 'pod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    i dont think so, i got caught out like that when i bout anastacia off of cdwow (who are quite bad for selling copy controlled cds) you could try and get a freeware program called Exact Audio Copy, though it only works sometimes. I ended up downloading the album i bought off of winMx.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Can copy controlled CDs be ripped into iTunes so I load the songs on iPod? I'm just not willing to put my $ on some disc I may not be able to use on the 'pod.

If you can rip it, you can put it on your iPod. What the current crop of CD copy protection schemes attempt to do, fortunately not always successfully, is make CDs unrippable.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I've ripped about a dozen copy-controlled CDs in iTunes without any problem. I've never come across any CD that couldn't be ripped on (my) Mac.

I hope you returned them under the guise that you couldn't play them on your computer..
  • Reply 4 of 17
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    I've also ripped several CD's with 'copy protection' messages slapped all over them. I just pop them in iTunes and they appear and I rip as normal. I'm yet to come across a CD that can't be ripped this way?

Not that I'm complaining of course
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I've also ripped several CD's that were copy protected in to iTunes on my Mac without problems. However, the same CD's soemtimes throw up problems when my wife tries to import them in to iTunes on her PC. For some reason, Mac's don't seem to be as badly affected as PC's when it comes to copy protection 8).

Dave.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

For some reason, Mac's don't seem to be as badly affected as PC's when it comes to copy protection 8).

Dave.

SHUSH!!! Seriously though, it has to do the operating system than the hardware. Death to M$.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

SHUSH!!! Seriously though, it has to do the operating system than the hardware. Death to M$.

yes, most of the copy protected cd's just do an autorun when put in and run software that 'turns on' the protection.

some of them when you first put in the disk, if you dont dislabe autorun(or hold down shift key when putting disk in) will ask if you agree to copy protection, if you do, it will install a program that runs and checks the disks. so after that the disk will be protected until you remove the software(and it isn't in your add/remove programs)

Windows is nice isn't it... so easy to allow bad crap on it.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Anybody heard of the latest Beastie Boys album that deploys some sort of program w. autorun enabled, that works on PC AND Mac?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Anybody heard of the latest Beastie Boys album that deploys some sort of program w. autorun enabled, that works on PC AND Mac?

I've heard about that, and I like.. erm liked them. I like my fair use just fine. And these albums that get high publicity because of this stuff, are always the first you see on P2P networks.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Can anyone confirm the problem with the new Beastie Boys cd on a mac? Im interested in seeing if this is just another ploy to scare people from ripping music off of cds.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

I've also ripped several CD's with 'copy protection' messages slapped all over them. I just pop them in iTunes and they appear and I rip as normal. I'm yet to come across a CD that can't be ripped this way?

Not that I'm complaining of course

Joss Stone's and Placebo's latest offerings both spring to my mind. It even only plays the first 5 seconds in iTunes or QT then it freezes. It seems to require you use the software on the CD to listen.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    The last Outkast album has copy protection, and a lable that says:

"does not work on a mac!"

I guess that it is the CopyProtection that does not work on a mac, 'cause itunes rip'ed it with zero problems...

• Reply 13 of 17
    I have ripped copy controlled CDs on my G4 iMac many a time, to varying degrees of success, I might add.

Some CDs crash the computer; some don't allow the first 1 or 2 tracks to be ripped; and some rip without much problem.

If you find a CD won't rip, you can do it via analogue. I got hold of a portable CD player, and plugged in an audio cable into the player and the Audio-In port on the Mac, opened Sound Studio, and viola!

Just to add, there seems to be no audio quality loss in doing it this way, either. It might be because of the short length of the cord, but anyhow, with rippable CDs, I rip them usng Apple Lossless, because AAC and MP3 don't sound anywhere near as good on high bitrates, to my ears ? and there's no difference to me, in "ripping" the analogue way.

The record companies can shove it where the sun don't shine. m.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I've ripped both of these in iTunes without a problem. They are both labelled "copy controlled" but there is no effect except a secondary volume shown in the Finder. I guess it depends on the model of your drive or your computer. I've got an original TiBook.

Sorry it's also possible it was because I had pre-release copies of both. I have a friend who's a music director so I tend to get a few CDs but neither worked for me. Interesting to know it isn't the same for everyone. Now I just need to check if it's a pre-release thing or a computer thing.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    I've run into a few over the years, Rammstein "Mutter" being the worst. I just ripped it into Peak DV (http://www.bias-inc.com/) and import that into iTunes/iPod. Peak keeps it digital so you avoid the analog step. I use Wiretap (http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/freebies/) and Peak DV to rip and edit DVD soundtracks before importing into iTunes.