Dual G5 2GHZ mempory question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a dual G5 2GHZ with a bus of 1GHZ. The ram I currently have in there is PC3200 or 800MHZ. Does anyone know if because the bus is actually 1GHZ, would I get any advantage in putting in PC 4000 or 1GHZ ram?

Just currious if anyone has tried it out yet to see a comparison of it?

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Two differents things here :

The speed of the bus between the chipset and the CPU are one ghz, but the memory bus is limited to DDR 400 support on dual channel. If you put a DDR 500 memory, it will work like a DDR 400. There is no way of overclocking the memory bus of a dual G5.

Notice also, that the memory speed of the G5 is already impressive. If you want more speed for your G5, just add more RAM. 2 GB or RAM rock with a G5 especially for huge photoshop stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Two differents things here :

The speed of the bus between the chipset and the CPU are one ghz, but the memory bus is limited to DDR 400 support on dual channel. If you put a DDR 500 memory, it will work like a DDR 400. There is no way of overclocking the memory bus of a dual G5.

Notice also, that the memory speed of the G5 is already impressive. If you want more speed for your G5, just add more RAM. 2 GB or RAM rock with a G5 especially for huge photoshop stuff.

Ya the reason I was asking is because I already have 4GB of eam and of course for photoshop it only uses about 1.7GB of ram so I had to create a 2GB ram disk with the extra ram that I have.

This way photoshop uses about 3.7GB of ram total, so thats not too bad but my scratch disk still gets used so thats why I was asking because I am considering going to 8GB of ram, but I can wait for taht till the price goes down or maybe 2GB chips come out at a decent price that would be pretty sweet for sure especially in photoshop.

Thanks

DD