Trackpad malfunction

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My trackpad sometimes goes beserk and sometimes just does not work at all. If I give it a slap it sometimes becomes ok.

So what are the potential problems with it? Should I send it to Apple? What if I don't have my receipt anymore? Is it a problem?

I have an iBook G4 which is quite new.

Note: don't tell me I'm supposed to hold one finger up or whatever. I know how to use a trackpad and have had an ibook 500 for ages and this problem only started happening recently.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Try resetting the PRAM, it has fixed the problem for me
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I just had this happen on my PB today.

It wouldn't let me move the cursor to the left.

So I tried to reboot, but then it wouldn't get past the "Logging in..." screen.

Currently trying to check things out with DiskWarrior.

It failed the first time.

My fingers are crossed.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Try resetting the PRAM, it has fixed the problem for me

Thanks for the tip but it didn't solve the problem.

Actually it seems a little better but I don't think it really did anything.

It seems like whenever I move to the bottom left it stops working. And it seems to like to click whenever by itself.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    *Sorry* but glad to see it isn't just me, I was afraid that it was late effects of spilling OJ on my PB when I got it

I figured it wasn't when the PRAM fixed it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ok guys, I really need help.

this problem is driving me crazy.

What are the policies on apple care? Do I need the receipt from where I bought it from?

also, how about the phone service if i call apple? Do i have to pay for it since it's over 90 days since I purchased the computer?

please help.

Steve.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    How can I reset the PRAM? My trackpad is making my computer entirely unusable it has gotten so bad!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

ok guys, I really need help.

this problem is driving me crazy.

What are the policies on apple care? Do I need the receipt from where I bought it from?

also, how about the phone service if i call apple? Do i have to pay for it since it's over 90 days since I purchased the computer?

please help.

Steve.

I had this exact same problem happen in November with a 12" iBook G4. It turned out to be a hardware problem (I had the top case replaced). The problem reappeared recently however, and then unexpectedly vanished. Moral of the story: it probably is hardware.

As for Apple Care, you'll need to pay if you're past the 90 days to call Apple, but you can go to a dealer for free (or at least I could).