Usenet

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi folks, i'm searching for a good usenet read/download application. Can someone help me ?

thanks

Nico

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Unison is really the only way to go I've found. It's a pretty new program, hasn't been updated in a while, but the developers are hard at work on a major update to it. For now, it works great for me.

Check it out at www.panic.com
  • Reply 2 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Unison from www.panic.com is great for most things (although not yet perfect). Better than the alternatives, imho although perhaps too-focused on pictures for your needs...but it does regular messages just fine, kinda like Mail.

Just be smart about using usenet, your email is hanging there for the taking by spambots when you post. That, and becareful, no telling what crap you'll find by accident. NNTP tends to throw things at you that you would never have asked for...grrr...lousy protocol if you ask me...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    niconico Posts: 50member
    Thanks at all. I'm downloading it...then i'll post a little review.

Bye

Nico
  • Reply 4 of 10
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    I've been using MT-Newswatcher since the dawn of time... I'm not sure if it handles downloading of files, although I'm pretty sure it does.

It's nice that some programs have much the same interface now as they did in 1995...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    pan through fink
  • Reply 6 of 10
    adamradamr Posts: 72member
    Is there some objection to Mozilla Thunderbird?

I searched for a good newsreader when I got my iBook a few weeks ago and the only one I could stand was Thunderbird. Works really well. I only use it for usenet. I use Mail.app for email.

Very easy to use. Clean UI.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rberry88rberry88 Posts: 30member
    If you are able to use the student discount then and don't mind paying for it, you can get Office Mac for $135 and get Entourage (mail/usenet), Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

Entourage is very similar to Outlook Express without the added bloat that OE has. I use it for my primary e-mail address and reading usenet newsgroups.

rberry88
  • Reply 8 of 10
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I also like Entourage. I wish there was a native version of Pan.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tjhawketjhawke Posts: 2member
    I use Unison for pix,etc. And I use MT for general reading and binary download. I have tried several others, but I just didn't like them for one reason or another.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    I use Mozilla and/or Halime.